arriving to DR/return ticket/possible complications?

bronxita

Feb 4, 2010
hei there,here goes another post by me. i would like to know whether,when i arrive to DR,my ticket out has to be to my country of origin (i will be arriving from States and i am from europe).. the reason im asking is,i want to stay in DR, but i know that i have to have a ticket that shows that i'll leave,when i arrive. now,a ticket to europe will cost me about 2.000, while a ticket from SD to,say,Trinidad is about 300. since im not planning on using the ticket,i dont want to waste money on a ticket that i wont use (i prefer to not take chances with the "refunds" and all that). Does anyone know whether i may encounter problems when i arrive to DR (in the airport) because my next ticket is not to the country of my origin,nor to a country which i was coming from? can i just tell them im making a trip to a few latin american countries and havent decided yet where i'll go after Trinidad? i know that my country has an agreement with DR that the citizen can enter with no visa,as a tourist..

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
When you arrive here, DR, I don't think they care what tickets you have! I may be wrong and I know someone will soon tell me if I am. LOL

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
The airline you are travelling in on should care and should ask to see a ticket showing you leaving the country. They do not care where or when you leave just that you will leave. Often the cheapest out is to Miami, buy it a year out.

Reactions: mike l

bronxita

Feb 4, 2010
PrincessaDR- they should ask it at the airport or when i book the flight? what if i book the other flight with a different company?

Reactions: mike l
Mar 2, 2008
Why would an airline care one way or the other? Perhaps Border Control and Customs might have some interest, but it's no skin off any airline.

I've never been asked, and I have travel without a return ticket on many occasions.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
I flew in from the States and am European. I flew in via US and I was asked in the states when I would be leaving the DR and I said I don't know, they weren't bothered.
I most certainly didn't get asked anything at this end, it was so relaxed I got confused as to what I was supposed to do, sort of just got off the plane paid my $$ and wandered out of the airport into a cab.

bronxita

Feb 4, 2010
to expat13, catcherintherye- could you tell me more about what happens when you board the plane in the States/arrive to the airport in DR? do they let you on the plane/let you out the airport without asking when you're planning on leaving? also,do they ask you where you will be staying?
to DRNED- how long ago was it? you went to DR with a one-way ticket?
sorry if i'm asking too much, i'm just trying to ensure that i won't run into any situation where i'm at the airport and am told that i can't go

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Some travel agencies won't sell you a one-way ticket and some will. The DR law states that you need a return ticket, but it doesn't seem to be enforced.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
When you arrive you are required to fill in an immigration form "only for visitors". They ask for your name, sex, date and year of birth, place of birth, nationality, occupation, permanent address, Dominican Republic address, departing airport, arriving airport, purpose of your trip, duration of stay and passport number. In other words pretty well what any country you arrive in will ask. You hand this along with your passport to the immigration guy he keeps the form and stamps your passport with the date of your arrival. Then you carry on through to pick up your luggage. That's it.... He doesn't ask to see a return ticket. There's no doubt in my mind that he doesn't pay any attention to what you wrote in that form. But prepare your answers ahead of time just in case:classic: That has been my experience landing always in PP airport. The only time I have bought a return ticket was the first time I came and that was an AI trip.
Mack.

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
We arrived in Aug '09 on one way tickets. In Detroit we were questioned when checking in (WHY a US check in person would care about Canadians travelling to the DR on a one way I have never figured out!)
We emphatically told her we were going with a job secured and she told us that we had better make sure that we got something on paper before we got to Miami for our next flight because the DR would never let us in with out it! Makes it a little unnerving as we were travelling as a family of 5!
NO ONE in Miami or the DR cared or asked a single question about it.
We bought one way tickets to go visit Canada in the summer and will fly back on one ways as we do not yet have our dates confirmed.

bronxita

Feb 4, 2010
thank you so much Mack- how about when you leave States? did they ask you if you have a return ticket? what is AI?

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Sorry I should have told you I was flying from Canada. I am a British citizen by birth and a Canadian citizen by choice. I have never had a Canadian passport and travel only with my UK passport. Of course when re-entering Canada I have to show my citizenship card. But I've arrived in PP at the same time as US flights and believe me there is no difference at the immigration checkpoint in the airport. The only noticable difference I've seen is that on Canadian flights they include the tourist card in the flight price and give you the card in flight whereas the US flights don't and you have to purchase that on landing. Be aware that the tourist card is only good for 30 days and if you overstay that time period you will have to pay a tarifa on leaving. I used to have a link to that but not any more. Search the postings for tarifas and I'm sure you can come up with the info. If not I'm sure someone else will help on that.
AI is short for an All Inclusive vacation.
Mack.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
ticket

As a practical manor...
You must have a leaving ticket. I only know of American Airlines asking for this in Miami. If they do buy a full fare fully refundable ticket and just cash it in later.
This worked for friends who live here without residency....
carib

bronxita

Feb 4, 2010
thank you Mack- im actually plannin on staying in DR so i will have to renew my tourist card for another 30 days and then im supposed to be able to apply for a temporal residence,i believe; do you only go there for vacation or did you get a residence there? the reason im askin is because im just tryin to find out as much info on adjusting my status as i can before i go;
to carib- thank you; i think that what i'll do is get a ticket from SD to Antigua (found one for $287 total) so that,even if i cant get a refund,it wont be so much of a loss
to Spec Ed Teacher- thank you for the reply; it seems to me that some airport checkins care about it,while others don't; i will most likely be goin to DR from NY,JFK i guess..i feel tempted to just leave with a one way ticket,but definitely don't want to be in a position when they don't let me board the plane due to the absence of the latter (anyone ever heard of anything like this happening?)

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Legally, they can require you to purchase an onward ticket from the DR before they allow you to board. That happened to me once, at JFK, for an American Airlines flight and they made me purchase a ticket to San Juan (which was cheaper than a return to NY). Another time, I had documentation with me and they did not require the purchase of a return/onward ticket.

I have flown with AA, Jet Blue, Delta and Continental to the DR on one-way tickets. The check-in agents for AA at JFK were the only ones who ever asked about residency or return/onward travel.

bronxita

Feb 4, 2010
thank you La Profe 1- I guess I'm not flying AA then :)
has anyone heard of an airline Air Dominicana? i found out they have a New York-Santo Domingo flight,and im guessin they wouldnt care about the return ticket.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Sorry I should have told you I was flying from Canada. I am a British citizen by birth and a Canadian citizen by choice. I have never had a Canadian passport and travel only with my UK passport. Of course when re-entering Canada I have to show my citizenship card. But I've arrived in PP at the same time as US flights and believe me there is no difference at the immigration checkpoint in the airport. The only noticable difference I've seen is that on Canadian flights they include the tourist card in the flight price and give you the card in flight whereas the US flights don't and you have to purchase that on landing. Be aware that the tourist card is only good for 30 days and if you overstay that time period you will have to pay a tarifa on leaving. I used to have a link to that but not any more. Search the postings for tarifas and I'm sure you can come up with the info. If not I'm sure someone else will help on that.
AI is short for an All Inclusive vacation.
Mack.

The tourist card is only good for 15 days unless it has changed in the last weeks.