living in dr

K

kimberlyindr

Hi Everyone,

My name is Kimberly. I am considering moving to the colonial zone in DR.

I would like to find out if anyone out there lives in the colonial zone. If so, please email me all the ups and downs.

I appreciate it in advance,

Kimberly

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Welcome to DR1, Kimberly :). If I might suggest.........I think you would get more helpful responses by posting specific questions. You could, for example, ask about noise levels, pollution, power outages, traffic etc. It's just that what are 'ups' to one person are 'downs' to another because we all perceive things differently.

I'm in Puerto Plata, so not in Santo Domingo, but there are many who post here who live in SD & have knowledge of the colonial zone.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
All the ps and downs?
Impossible to say, I will say I go there a couple of times a week to sit and people watch, bite to eat and a beer, but I would hate to live there. I live a 4 or 5 minute drive away.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot depends on the "why" you want to live there and if you have the money needed to afford that lifestyle.
If you do all well and good...

HB

Nov 25, 2008
Reading your post I see you don't have your goals set to reality, do what in Colonial? work as what?......

Reality please....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ups, apart from the charm, atmosphere, history, people watching, sense of community, good places to eat and drink, etc. it is one of the few parts of the capital where you can live quite easily without a vehicle. Most things are within walking distance and you're near Parque Independencia with its guaguas and concho routes to many other parts of the capital.

Downs:
If you do have a vehicle parking will be a problem. Hardly any houses or buildings have their own parking places so vehicle owners have to pay for using private parking lots.
It can be very noisy. To avoid that, you'd need to look carefully for one of the quieter areas.

The CZ suffers from blackouts and water shortages but it's not particularly worse than many other parts of the country. Street crime may also be an issue, but again, it's not any worse than most other places.

Mar 1, 2009
My uncle and his family live there, he's got 6 kids and his grandkids living on the second floor of a casa colonial. I love going there and chilaxin on the balcony and people watching, and listening to my uncle talk and boy can he talk. They don't have a car and they use taxis and carros publicos for everything. It's noisy but very enchanting. Yes, I used the word enchanting.

Reactions: Black Dog