Luggage Thieves at POP airport

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Then you read the posts beneath the article.

I agree with the majority of the posters who denounce him as an idiot for putting things like a cell phone and watch into his checked luggage.

Can he prove that they were stolen at POP? It could have also happened in Toronto. Or is it that he thinks all Dominicans are thieves?

I think that the Dominican economy will survive if this Canadian prat doesn't return!

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
it happens everywhere

i guess my fellow citizen forgets that we had a ring of thieves at the toronto airport and every year several get caught and fired from there...(those that do get caught that is) :)
no airport is safe and travelers have been targeted since the first fool left something of value in thier suitcase..
never ever leave anything of value in your suitcase.
it has nothing to do with the dominican republic except he got nabbed this time while some poor dominican is upset cause he just got ripped off in chicago and an italian is upset cause he got ripped off in china.....ect....ect...ect...
as someone once said.....ya can fix a broken arm but ya can't fix stupidness

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree that it was extremely naive to put things of value in luggage. I have a lot of experience with Canadians being at the top of the naive list of world travelers.

But blaming someone for putting things in their luggage and having it stolen is a bit like blaming a woman who was raped for wearing a skirt that is too short. The blame lies on the thieves.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree that it was extremely naive to put things of value in luggage. I have a lot of experience with Canadians being at the top of the naive list of world travelers.

But blaming someone for putting things in their luggage and having it stolen is a bit like blaming a woman who was raped for wearing a skirt that is too short. The blame lies on the thieves.

Agreed, the blame lies with the thieves. But I don't read the previous posts to mean the victim was being blamed. Rather, he was being chided for stupidity.

Mar 2, 2008
Mr. Howarth could probably talk himself out of ever having to travel anywhere. He could simply uncover some misdeed perpetrated on some misguided tourist somewhere in the world and eliminate that destination from future consideration.

He might remain comfy and warm in his living room in Toronto, and he might never have to experience all the "bad" things out there in the world.

He might even talk himself into being happy and content, but in the long run he will probably just end up worrying himself sick about all the misfortune he must continually avoid, if and when he can bring himself to leave the 'safety' of his own home.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
If these things were taken from his carry on by the screeners, then your analogy would make sense and his outrage would be understandable.

If these things were taken from his checked luggage, then that is a very poor analogy, unless this hypothetical woman was a stupid idiot who recklessly set herself up in a vulnerable environment.
Plus this would make him a presumptuous prick.

Nobody deserves to become a victim of crime, and I do sympathize with most, but being a reckless stupid idiot does not garner much sympathy from me. :tired:

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
If you are worried about your vaulables, you can get your luggage inspected near the ticket counter then wrapped in plastic before it gets checked. There are also special locks that you can buy for $15 that can be opened by airport security but not by baggage handlers. Don't put your cell phone in your checked baggage ever(you might need it if you get stuck on a tarmack for four hours), and bringing a watch at all to the DR seems to be defeating the whole point of being on vacation.

TSA Lock and Luggage Locks