Result at TGI Friday's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
A group of us went to TGI Friday's in the Acropolis the other night and had a really great meal. The food was delicious across the board. The atmosphere loud but fun.

Right near the end of our meal one of my nieces let out a little scream the result of finding a little cockroach on her salad. Alive and kicking, not cooked. Now the drama un-folds.

My wife 'Dominican' started dry retching, quite unneccessarily in my opinion, most of the othe Dominicans, the majority of our group, didn't seem to think there was anything amiss. I tended to agree to be honest.

But to be less honest, I saw my opportunity and grabbed it with both hands.
I called the waiter over and explained how horrified we all were, he appologised and was suitably mortified and suggested he get us another salad or whatever it was that was infested by this little fella.

But I insisted the manager be called over, you've guessed it, 'FREE MEAL'

It wasn't offered, I had to suggest it, unless the whole restaurant wanted to be introduced to the offending insect.

My wife made sure that the waiter got a huge tip, because she said it wasn't his fault. Absolutely agree with that, no problem there. He'd already been quite entertaining doing his cheeky chappie bit and chatting up all females on the table. He was a real nice guy.

I was delighted with result as everyone had chosen the most expensive items on the menu (very un-Dominican-like) and I was footing the bill. I must admit I was surprised at the prices on the menu, as I assumed that franchised outlets would naturally be cheaper in countries generally considered to be poorer per capita.

I've just looked up the prices of TGI's New York Strip in Leicester Square London and its about 100 or so pesos cheaper there than in the Acropolis SD.

I was just wondering if its not the done thing in the DR to automatically expect the bill to be waived in circumstances like these, does anyone know what the Dominican take on this would be. As I said our group were more worried by my wifes imminent heart failure than anything else.

I know in the UK its a given, live creatures in your grub you cause a fuss.

My wife is used to that attitude as she lived in England for 13 years.

Also the higher than central London prices, is this because there are plenty of very well-off Dominican in SD and the restaurant chains knows this and prices accordingly or what?

Just wondered is all.

I felt guilty at the time, and still do a bit, but its wearing off.

But a slap-up 10,000 peso meal on the house is not to be sniffed at.

Yours slightly ashamedly, but also everso slightly richer
Paul

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
But a slap-up 10,000 peso meal on the house is not to be sniffed at.

That was quite an act you pulled off, right down to the well choreographed retching.. just one question...how do you keep the little critter alive prior to dropping him in the salad?

tambo'

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself! No wonder the prices are higher if they have to cover the lost profits from such shameless scams! I wonder how many of the staff were sacked over the incident! How can you sleep at night? How can you live with yourself? How can you show your face in other restaurants? OK, I'm just kidding, great story but I wonder what became of the roach? LOL

Freemo

May 26, 2003
You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself! No wonder the prices are higher if they have to cover the lost profits from such shameless scams! I wonder how many of the staff were sacked over the incident! How can you sleep at night? How can you live with yourself? How can you show your face in other restaurants? OK, I'm just kidding, great story but I wonder what became of the roach? LOL

Well my son suggested we take one in a jar to the next restaurant we went to. Bet thats been done a million times or two.

I think my wife actually hammed it up atrociously but she wouldnt admit it. She's never gotten used to having enough money to live comfortably. I think she was watching the bill as it was growing and looking for an exit strategy. No only (half) joking, well it was a laugh if nothing else. She couldn't wait to get out of there while everyone else was happy to accept another free round of drinks.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I must admit I was surprised at the prices on the menu, as I assumed that franchised outlets would naturally be cheaper in countries generally considered to be poorer per capita.

I believe all the franchised outlets have higher prices in the D.R. then in the U.S.

I stay away from Burger King, higher then McDonalds.

Don

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A group of us went to TGI Friday's in the Acropolis the other night and had a really great meal. The food was delicious across the board. The atmosphere loud but fun.

Right near the end of our meal one of my nieces let out a little scream the result of finding a little cockroach on her salad. Alive and kicking, not cooked. Now the drama un-folds.

My wife 'Dominican' started dry retching, quite unneccessarily in my opinion, most of the othe Dominicans, the majority of our group, didn't seem to think there was anything amiss. I tended to agree to be honest.

But to be less honest, I saw my opportunity and grabbed it with both hands.
I called the waiter over and explained how horrified we all were, he appologised and was suitably mortified and suggested he get us another salad or whatever it was that was infested by this little fella.

But I insisted the manager be called over, you've guessed it, 'FREE MEAL'
Are you proud of committing a fraud and extortion?

A comped salad is one thing (having been in the restaurant/bar biz). But to intentionally threaten to make a scene that you admit is a bigger deal than the actual problem to gain financially is extortion and fraud!

You're really proud? Seriously?

I don't get it...:confused:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Are you proud of committing a fraud and extortion?

A comped salad is one thing (having been in the restaurant/bar biz). But to intentionally threaten to make a scene that you admit is a bigger deal than the actual problem to gain financially is extortion and fraud!

You're really proud? Seriously?

I don't get it...:confused:

Nothing kills a business faster than bad buzz (especially if that buzzing is coming from critters flying over your food).

I think a free meal probably made sense. Consider: the roach was in one salad, but the entire table saw it. The entire table also saw the gesture, making it clear that the restaurant has no tolerance for that sort of thing. Great PR move, especially if the ticket was profitable from all the drinking.

Also, who would want another salad immediately after finding a roach in their first order?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All this leads me to another question....... is there an equivalent to the Board of Health/Department of Sanitation that we have in the US? Are restaurant kitchens physically examined and shut down if they are not in compliance?

I'm thinking maybe not because a family member has a small restaurant in SD [mostly take-out, catering to lunch crowd] and I'd bet money no one has ever checked that place out.

Is it buyer beware? If there IS an inspection program, is it for every restaurant or just larger sit-down places...? Do they display certificates? I've never looked for one, so have never seen one....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Nothing kills a business faster than bad buzz (especially if that buzzing is coming from critters flying over your food).

I think a free meal probably made sense. Consider: the roach was in one salad, but the entire table saw it. The entire table also saw the gesture, making it clear that the restaurant has no tolerance for that sort of thing. Great PR move, especially if the ticket was profitable from all the drinking.

Also, who would want another salad immediately after finding a roach in their first order?
A free meal, yes. One. Not the entire table.

But the OP intentionally made a big deal about it and even those at the table thought it was not a big deal.

His intent was to gain financially by threat. Good PR or not, that is just wrong. If there were kids at the table is sets a HORRIBLE example for them.

Whatever happened to doing the right thing? I must be REALLY Old School!

But opinions vary.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I thinks it's reasonable to expect not to be charged. The one time something comparable happened to me, there was no question that we would pay for our meal. My friend's dish contained a soggy cigarette end pretending to be a mushroom. We were both so grossed out we could not finish our meals and we didn't even have to crank up the drama.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would def demand a free meal upon finding any creepy crawlies in my food. so it happens that the OP was there with a large group of people, more the loss for the restaurant. or maybe not. our friend is a good pal with the owner of TGIF and their weekend takings exceed 1 million pesos.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
In order to save the kitchen staff's jobs, i would have eaten the roach.
AZB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Comp the ONE salad. Give a coupon for a free meal in the future as compensation.

NOT the whole table.

It's not the Litigation Lottery...

For the OP to extort free meals for all is dishonorable...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
At this point we asked to speak to the kitchen manager or the owner. They brought over the owner. We explain the problem, and rather than apologize, he said, "It will be better next time". My friend said to the owner that he thought that was an insincere statement, and then the owner said. "What do you want me to do, suck your dick?".

At least you get a FREE BJ after a bad meal on The North Coast!

Reactions: AlterEgo

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The OP had every right to take advantage of that opportunity. TGI Friday is regarded as one of the most upscale places in Santo Domingo at least and to find a roach roaming around your food is completely UNNACEPTABLE regarding what some may think in this thread. I would have definitely ask for a free meal too. It is not a scam and whoever thinks it is have serious lack of understanding of what an acceptable customer service should be.

Or you may follow AZB's advice as well. At least you would be helping the local economy:D

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If people were so upset at the sight of a roach in the food, why not just get up and leave, why ask for free meal instead?
AZB

Status
Not open for further replies.