Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Expatriates? Us? All strange?

“. . . Who goes to the Godforsaken Dominican Republic to try and scratch a living? With the biggest boom of the century going on in the States? Freaks, frauds, fools, and failures. . . . I’ve lived on a tropical island most of my life. Ninety per cent of the mainlanders who come in are loonies of one kind or another, and they nearly all blow sooner or later - if they don’t die of the booze.”
    Don’t Stop the Carnival” by Herman Wouk, page 183 [1965].

Is this an accurate description of the typical Ex-Pat living in the DR? American Ex-Pats? Canadian Ex-Pats? Western European Ex-Pats? Male ex-Pats? Are we all “freaks” of 1 variety or another? To quote Herman Wouk? Food for thought? [please note: the Poster has taken some very considerable liberties with the original text.] This is a very good book; especially if you live in the DR. I think that most of us would greatly enjoy it. Thank you.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Hardly a one-size-fits-all thing...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default go west young man :)

or in my case SOUTH...where it's warm and there are less stressful problems than in my own country...
    i watch very unhappy people go to work everyday...working and working to pay for the house, food, cars, insurance health insurance, dental insurance, car insurance, life insurance, kids braces....ect
    with no time to enjoy anything....
    yet here in the dr and similar countries...they don't worry about those things and actually ENJOY LIFE for it's sake!
    everyone has thier reasons....

to me one who leaves the island is looking for wealth
    one who goes to the island is looking for peace and freedom

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If

If one comes here looking for wealth, one will likely be disappointed in the majority of cases (if measured in monetary wealth). The death from booze I see sadly often but tolerate, to an extent.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woofsback View Post
    to me one who leaves the island is looking for wealth
    one who goes to the island is looking for peace and freedom
    Excellent!!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Herman Wouk had it right. It's not the norm for people to leave their home country, friends, and family to move to a country which for many has a different culture, language, and lower standard of living.

That makes those of us who have, by definition 'abnormal'... and in many cases just plain weird. I often say "most of the expats here are strange in one way or another, and I can't exclude myself". I can live with that - I'm happy, it makes life interesting, & I don't want to be anywhere else.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

-Who the heck is Herman Wouk ?
    -Why should we care what this guy thinks ?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Personals

FFFF seeks DDD

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A little crazy, a little logical. In other words, it just makes sense to us, and it doesn't need to make sense to anyone else.

By the way,

Herman Wouk: One of the greatest authors of our time, and one who's book "Don't Stop the Carnival" is a great example of humor mixed with message, and should be required reading for any ex-pat.

Although it doesn't surprise me some people don't know literature (and probably don't even read, for that matter) it is a little disturbing that they are so automatically dismissive of any and all new or different ideas.

Oh my goodness, does that sound self-righteous? I'm so sorry.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I am writing a book as well. The title is
    "How to move to the Caribbean and make a small fortune"

Unfortunately the book will only be a single page with bold type saying. . . .

"Start with a LARGE fortune". . . . . . .. . ;-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast