Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate shops?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chocolate shops?

Are there any specialty chocolate shops in this country? Something like a Godiva, Joseph Schmidt, or Lindt, where you can actually go in and hand select chocolates?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alanamarie View Post
    Are there any specialty chocolate shops in this country? Something like a Godiva, Joseph Schmidt, or Lindt, where you can actually go in and hand select chocolates?
    I haven't found one but if someone here knows of a place that would be great.
    Nothing like a box of Godiva truffles. I even thought of shipping here in the winter months but I would probably still end up with a chocolate mess or an empty box.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chocolate Shop in Cabarete

I stumbled upon a Chocolate shop in Media Luna Plaza, just west of Cabarete Center, across from Ocean Dream. Its on the first floor, to the left, can't miss it. Run by a woman with a European accent, or French Canadian. I stopped in but didn't sample. Looks like they are making the stuff on premises. Its also a little cafe. I hope someone who has actually tried the chocolate will chime in here!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe they are Belgiun (?) chocolates and she does make them herself.
    Last edited by Nikki Simon; 02-12-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Can't spell that word!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Simon View Post
    I believe they are Belgiun (?) chocolates and she does make them herself.
    Let me help you? Belgian chocolats

Would be interesting to do a little market research here if allowed since we had the idea of maybe opening a chocolate shop because there is nothing to compare here with the real stuff, being Belgian chocolats!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Acira, so long as corrections are being done then it is actually Belgian Chocolates....but by now my mouth is salivating so much thinking about chocolate that I don't really care how you spell it...hahaha

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat-in-Cabarete View Post
    Looks GREAT but their hours are terribly accommodating, huh?
    Thanks for the link (the Cabarete recommendation as well) - I will gladly check out any recommendations and report back about them!

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhere in this country there is Xocolat a small, very, very good operation by the Munné girls.
    For those that do not know, Munné is the nation's leading exporter of cacao. The daughters got the idea of going to Switzerland and learning the chocolate trade and their products, while pricy are very very good.

You get what you pay for.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Is Xocolat still in operation? I remember it from Santo Domingo a few years ago. They were very good in terms of elegance and presentation, but for anyone seeking something comparable to Belgian chocs taste-wise I thought they were much too sweet and weakly flavoured. Diana Munné told us that the sweetness/milk/fat balance had to be different in the DR because of the hot climate, or something to that effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast