Chocolate shops?

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
Are there any specialty chocolate shops in this country? Something like a Godiva, Joseph Schmidt, or Lindt, where you can actually go in and hand select chocolates?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Are there any specialty chocolate shops in this country? Something like a Godiva, Joseph Schmidt, or Lindt, where you can actually go in and hand select chocolates?

I haven't found one but if someone here knows of a place that would be great.
Nothing like a box of Godiva truffles. I even thought of shipping here in the winter months but I would probably still end up with a chocolate mess or an empty box.

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Chocolate Shop in Cabarete

I stumbled upon a Chocolate shop in Media Luna Plaza, just west of Cabarete Center, across from Ocean Dream. Its on the first floor, to the left, can't miss it. Run by a woman with a European accent, or French Canadian. I stopped in but didn't sample. Looks like they are making the stuff on premises. Its also a little cafe. I hope someone who has actually tried the chocolate will chime in here!

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
I believe they are Belgiun (?) chocolates and she does make them herself.

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I believe they are Belgiun (?) chocolates and she does make them herself.

Let me help you? Belgian chocolats ;)

Would be interesting to do a little market research here if allowed since we had the idea of maybe opening a chocolate shop because there is nothing to compare here with the real stuff, being Belgian chocolats!

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Acira, so long as corrections are being done then it is actually Belgian Chocolates....but by now my mouth is salivating so much thinking about chocolate that I don't really care how you spell it...hahaha

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Somewhere in this country there is Xocolat a small, very, very good operation by the Munn? girls.
For those that do not know, Munn? is the nation's leading exporter of cacao. The daughters got the idea of going to Switzerland and learning the chocolate trade and their products, while pricy are very very good.

You get what you pay for.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is Xocolat still in operation? I remember it from Santo Domingo a few years ago. They were very good in terms of elegance and presentation, but for anyone seeking something comparable to Belgian chocs taste-wise I thought they were much too sweet and weakly flavoured. Diana Munn? told us that the sweetness/milk/fat balance had to be different in the DR because of the hot climate, or something to that effect.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Somewhere in this country there is Xocolat a small, very, very good operation by the Munn? girls.
For those that do not know, Munn? is the nation's leading exporter of cacao. The daughters got the idea of going to Switzerland and learning the chocolate trade and their products, while pricy are very very good.

HB

yep...rubbish :cheeky:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Acira, so long as corrections are being done then it is actually Belgian Chocolates....but by now my mouth is salivating so much thinking about chocolate that I don't really care how you spell it...hahaha

LOL...chocolates then but they have to be Belgian, best of the world :bunny:

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
I know 2 shops with the name 'Xocolat' or 'Xocolatl' in Sto. Domingo, one at Acropolis,
I think on the 2nd floor?
The other one, a small place in a private house in NACO, calle Manuel Perdomo, a raod parallel to Tiradentes near Club Naco.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I stumbled upon a Chocolate shop in Media Luna Plaza, just west of Cabarete Center, across from Ocean Dream. Its on the first floor, to the left, can't miss it. Run by a woman with a European accent, or French Canadian. I stopped in but didn't sample. Looks like they are making the stuff on premises. Its also a little cafe. I hope someone who has actually tried the chocolate will chime in here!

well went there! ... nothing really mouthwatering; very poor selection; and not very friendly when entering the store. maybe my expectations (chocolate addict) are too high ;-)
next week will check out the one in pop! hope i can find it

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

HB
Okay, there are three brands of chocolate tablets, I have until today only tried two of them.

While at Pola today I noticed the Munne brand (Seen it before but never tried it).
I remembered this post by you HB, so I decided to buy a box and try it.
37 pesos per box, about 3 pesos per box higher then the other brands.

The box is labeled: Sweet Baking Chocolate

It's pretty good, but the first ingredient is SUGAR, so we know what that means.
Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Powder & Cocoa Butter, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th ingredients.

I forget now but I think the "Diplomatico" (sp) brand is more like a flaky fudge, the kind I like.
It is also heavy on the sugar.

Don