Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A good friend just got back

Post Thanks / Like

Default A good friend just got back

My nearly-son Anthony, a civil engineer and builder, just got back form Haiti. He is so stunned that we haven't been able to speak fully.

He says that there have to be hundreds of thousands STILL entombed in the ruins. Entire schools were pancaked as were university classrooms, and office buildings. Everything was functioning, it was barely 5 o'clock local time when it hit.

He has not been able to describe coherently the devastation but says that 75% of the capital is gone.

I sure hope he is wrong.

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's an article on the destruction of the schools and universities in Haiti. The earthquake wiped out future leaders, nursing students etc. It also mentions a recent visit by deans from a university in the Dominican Republic who met with Preval to discuss offering students the opportunity to continue their studies in the DR. A university New Orleans has done the same. I hope other universities will follow.

Education Was Also Leveled by Quake in Haiti - NYTimes.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

went i drove through downtown last weekend, about 30% of the buildings had fallen down. many were still up and functioning though. my pics: Haiti-Earthquake - Adrian Bye's Photo Galleries: photos.adrianbye.com- powered by SmugMug

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Great pictures Adrian, definitely shows the devastation

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent pictures! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Apart from being excellent photographs, those pictures have real meaning... thank you for sharing them Adrian.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Adrian! I like the caption "See how many boats $1 billion dollars in aid gets?" Yeah where are all those ships?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the compliments guys.

it was a bit shocking to fly in and see how few boats were in the harbor - especially given how much haiti is all over the media.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

for those who want a fuller view of what we saw, there's 100 of the top pics (out of 1200) here:

haiti-earthquake-top100 - Adrian Bye's Photo Galleries: photos.adrianbye.com- powered by SmugMug

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The port is still inoperable

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    thanks for the compliments guys.

it was a bit shocking to fly in and see how few boats were in the harbor - especially given how much haiti is all over the media.
    My understanding is that the port is still closed.. the docks fell into the water, the road to the port is rubble. So that most aid is coming in through transport planes and by ship to Barahona and perhaps Cap Haitian

I know that the DR navy has sent over 6 small boats from its navy which were the first to land in Jacmel.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast