Puerto Plata Plants having Problems again generating Power

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just checking to see if there are problems with the generators in the area.
Power has been very bad this week.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Sosua has been up and down all year long.

When I am without electricity I just go to Rocky's and connect with the real world!

Emerging markets are supposed to show growth and not ring up debt with foreign oil nations without supplying a really good corned beef sandwich on rye!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Are power generators being paid?

We've had a few outages here in Jarabacoa, rare events.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Edenorte's responsibility

Are power generators being paid?

We've had a few outages here in Jarabacoa, rare events.

That is rare in Jarabacoa. We have a small house in a bario in Jarabacoa where my mother in law lives. All of the houses had meters put in and everyone pays for power now with almost no power outages. I suspect it has to do with payment to the generators.

Where we live on the north coast we are unfortunately on a class C circuit where I think about 30% of the customers pay for power. Over the past 2 years we went from having power 70% of the time to having power 50% of the time. Inverter batteries won't last for more than a year the way I have to charge and discharge them.

It is maddening to be about 200 yards from a 24/7 power line and have Edenorte refuse to hook us up. They say it is because we have unreliable underground wiring that we need to be replaced. Our development was abandoned by Juan Perdomo and his associates and there is not and never will be an association here. Attempting to form an association has been tried and failed, it is like herding cats.

I do believe Edenorte is lying to me about the wiring not being their responsibility. It is my understanding that Edenorte owns all of the wiring, poles,transformers and meters once they have been installed and they provide power. I own only the wires from my meter back into my property. Is that not correct?

Jan 22, 2010
Puerto Plata is not bad power related.

Just pay the bill on time

The neighborhoods where most people not pay is normal that they receive less electricity..

:cross-eye

T.E.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I always pay the bill on time - that is not the problem..

Point is T.E. is that our development where everyone pays or we are cut off within two weeks by Edenorte happens to be on the same circuit with hundreds of Dominicans in barrios where many steal power. The Dominicans continue to steal power without anyone coming after them. If I tried to do that we would be in serious trouble.

We are trying to change the circuit to which we are connected to one that is very close to us where almost everyone pays and Edenorte refused to do that.

Puerto Plata is not bad power related.

Just pay the bill on time

The neighborhoods where most people not pay is normal that they receive less electricity..

:cross-eye

T.E.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
That is rare in Jarabacoa. We have a small house in a bario in Jarabacoa where my mother in law lives. All of the houses had meters put in and everyone pays for power now with almost no power outages. I suspect it has to do with payment to the generators.

Where we live on the north coast we are unfortunately on a class C circuit where I think about 30% of the customers pay for power. Over the past 2 years we went from having power 70% of the time to having power 50% of the time. Inverter batteries won't last for more than a year the way I have to charge and discharge them.

It is maddening to be about 200 yards from a 24/7 power line and have Edenorte refuse to hook us up. They say it is because we have unreliable underground wiring that we need to be replaced. Our development was abandoned by Juan Perdomo and his associates and there is not and never will be an association here. Attempting to form an association has been tried and failed, it is like herding cats.

I do believe Edenorte is lying to me about the wiring not being their responsibility. It is my understanding that Edenorte owns all of the wiring, poles,transformers and meters once they have been installed and they provide power. I own only the wires from my meter back into my property. Is that not correct?

i used to have a similar problem which was fixed by having my own transformer put inside my garden, and paying for concrete posts and 7000 volt cable to come from main supply to my house. It works perfectly 24/7 - unless the whole area is off -but was not without problems. You can read the full story here
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/55290-why-i-love-country.html

It does meander off topic occasionally - that is putting it mildly lol - but it may give you some ideas!!

matilda

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i used to have a similar problem which was fixed by having my own transformer put inside my garden, and paying for concrete posts and 7000 volt cable to come from main supply to my house. It works perfectly 24/7 - unless the whole area is off -but was not without problems. You can read the full story here

It does meander off topic occasionally - that is putting it mildly lol - but it may give you some ideas!!

matilda

Thanks Matilda. I have explained to Edenorte that I am perfectly willing to purchase my own transformer. There is already a spare transmission line that runs by my house to which it could be connected. The only piece missing is about 200 yards of wire from along the main highway to connect to Cabarete's 24/7 power. Edenorte refused to help. Just their version of "customer service".

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

matilda

That 'old' thread is a great lunchtime read - had me in "stitches"!!! :laugh:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks Matilda. I have explained to Edenorte that I am perfectly willing to purchase my own transformer. There is already a spare transmission line that runs by my house to which it could be connected. The only piece missing is about 200 yards of wire from along the main highway to connect to Cabarete's 24/7 power. Edenorte refused to help. Just their version of "customer service".
Heck, they even make you stand in line to give them money! :bandit: lol

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Have you tried going to a man in a van rather than the office??? We only dealt with the office at the end, all the rest was done by the men on the street - maybe not all officially but at least it got the job done - eventually!

matilda

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Have you tried going to a man in a van rather than the office??? We only dealt with the office at the end, all the rest was done by the men on the street - maybe not all officially but at least it got the job done - eventually!

matilda

Knowing that you understand how things often get done here, thank you again.:bunny:

However, every time I see someone working on the power lines I ask them if they could "hook us up". They respond that it is not possible and they would lose their jobs. It would mean making a connection in very visible area on the main highway of Cabarete.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Knowing that you understand how things often get done here, thank you again.:bunny:

However, every time I see someone working on the power lines I ask them if they could "hook us up". They respond that it is not possible and they would lose their jobs. It would mean making a connection in very visible area on the main highway of Cabarete.

Try making friends first. Electricity men are like women. No good in asking for a sh*g the first time you talk to them! You have to woo them first. so no good asking them to hook you up straight away! Try a cup of coffee, a cold beer, a chat, then after 4 or 5 times hit them with your problem. No hooking up on the first date!!!

matilda