want to move from canada to dr

dalmonte

Jan 31, 2010
I cant stop thinknig about moving from canada to dominican. What are your opinions? anything you want to say pro's con's good idea bad idea?
I would want to work and live as normal as possible. Throw your opinions/ideas at me :)

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
same boat

read alot of the posts...ask needful questions.....
plan for your future....
and definitely make sure you know the language very well or you'll be easily taken advantage of....being such a poor country and few resources they do what is neccessary to stay alive

the dream is real.....
but if you rush it,
it could become a nightmare :)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2009
Ok, ok, I get to do it! Welcome to the forum and before anyone else does it. Please allow me to correct your naming of the country. It is the Dominican Republic, DR for short. Now, on to the main subject. If you want to move to the DR buddy read one of our many posts, use the search button it's your friend! :0)

Hahaha, I'm sorry, I've become one of the jaded DR1 people who do that stuff to new posters.

Look man, I think you should move to the DR. It's a dream worth having. Canada is a frozen tundra right now and you can always visit it during the summer months to see your relatives. Start slowly now and begin the steps to move over here. If it's what you really want nothing will deter you.

However ask yourself these questions, what skills do I have that I can bring over and use them in a way that might provide me with something of an income?

Could I possibly get a job in DR and live off of what they pay. Perhaps 300USD a month? Maybe if your lucky 500USD a month. Have you saved any money? Do you hablar espanol? Rent, food, the heat? Are you moving here to be with someone? All these questions have been asked and answered before, yet each situation is unique. Vacation is very, very different from day to day living as I am discovering, every day is a literal event here.

What's yours? Please tell us, inquiring DR1 members want to know.

Lando Calrisian

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey Lando! Good advice and well put. And as a senior member of the Grammar Police I hereby appoint you a Lance Corporal in the DR Grammar Police!! Congratulations.

A post well done.

HB, Senior Curmudgeon, Assistant Curmudgeon-General of the Grammar Police

Note: You did forget to ask with which part of the body is this person thinking: The brain or a little further south??

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Before you do anything...take a step back and breathe for a few weeks.

I know you are probably frustrated that a visitor visa isn't likely an option but uprooting your life to move all of a sudden won't work out in the long run either.

It is definitely a good idea to live there for awhile with your boyfriend to get a taste of the real Dominican life, how compatible you are as a couple, start really understanding the culture and decide if its something you can/want to handle.

Before my husband & I got married, I took a leave of absence from my job to go for an extended period of time. I gave up my apartment, put my job on hold and went to see A) what life is all about and B) if we were meant to be.

We have been together for 5 years now so for us it was the right thing to do. We didn't rush anything even though it is expensive to travel back & forth and difficult to be apart and do the long distance thing. I didn't want to make a mistake and/or have to come back on this board later and say that I was duped. :)

Besides being in love, a Canadian/Dominican relationship takes ALOT of understanding and ALOT of patience and ALOT of compromise on both sides.

If you want a shot of long term happiness and a successful relationship, do go for a long stay and maybe move permanently later if it works out BUT don't give up everything to move there without thinking all the pros and cons through.

In a nutshell, there are more cons than pros and even though the pros are much more exciting to focus on it is the cons you need to be prepared for.

Sangria