My most recent visit...

H

helen

Just got back from my trip to the DR and would like to share some of my experiences from the trip.
1) If at all possible, try not to drive in Ste Domingo. Take a cab. Much safer that way! I have travelled all over the world and have driven in numerous countries but, have never had to get off the road for fear of my life. Where are the lane dividers when you need them?!
2) Visit Boca Chica - the coastline on the way to the beach is phenomenal, rugged and waters blue as the sky...A bit disappointed with the beach in Boca Chica itself...not with the condition but, the crowds.
3) Visit Cafe Cito - buy the cigars! Have been told by a cigar enthusiast than the cigars I'd bought were as fine as any found in Cuba...maybe, even better!
4) Try a Chimi burger along the Malecon - Yummy!
Had a wondrous 2 weeks! Next trip will be the one I make my permanent one!

B

Becca

are you talking about there not being much of a crowd at Boca Chica? if so it is because people don't really start to come to the beach until Holy Week. i know what you mean about loving that country. Someday I hope that it will become my home!

K

Karina

What's a Chimi burger, and was it

on the Malecon in Puerto Plata or somewhere else. We have visited the Cafe Cito and plan to go again when we're there in Feb. Thanks for the nice post. What else did you really like? Where did you stay. Sounds like you did a bit of travelling around.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Boca Chica crowded Sundays - dead otherwise

Boca Chica is wall-to-wall with people on Sundays, and to a lesser extent, on Saturdays. During the week however, it isn't too crowded, and before noon on weekdays, it is pretty much deserted. It is high season right now, through April, and there is a secondary high season in August.

H

helen

Re: What's a Chimi burger, and was it

Karina, Had my Chimi at the Malecon in Puerto Plata. Chimi Gordo(name of a particular vendor/truck) is the best of all I've tried. It's basically a sandwich (on crusty bread, grilled to toasty perfection) burger with sliced grilled meat. The meat is seasoned with some sort of bbq sauce, etc. Have to try it to enjoy it! Husband has a small(very) apt in PP and that's where I stayed while there and in Ste Domingo, stayed at a cheap (bargained price down to $25 Cdn/night) hotel (very clean & newly renovated) owned by Asians (chinese to be exact!). Got some authentic Chinese food by talking to the chef at the restaurant attached at the Hotel. I made day trips to Boca Chica, Sosua, etc. Next trip, gonna check out Samana, Cabarete & Costambar - all within driving distance from PP, I believe...right, Jim?!

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: What's a Chimi burger, and was it *PIC*

In Boca Chica, it's simply called "Un Pan", even though that literally means "A Bread". See photo below and link.

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

Chimi-Burger=Sandwich de Pierna...

called here Jim, but it's the one on your Pic, made from the leg/ham of a pig.
I know Chimigordo up from his first day when he start at the malecon, just with a "cambionetta" and at least he had 2realy big busses.......so was realy big taste.
but know he made the sandwich like in a factory, and is not that good any more (sliced/cut the meat long before and not fine.....).
But anyway its still the best here around, because all the others changed to:-((
cu/charly

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

+Chimigordo=Fat Jimmy... seriously *DC*