Port-au-Prince of the North (aka Montreal)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Here are two great articles. One is about the Montreal Haitian community and their anguish in this time of crisis and the other is about the Diaspora and their efforts. I really found them both interesting and they gave me the opportunity to reflect from a different perspective. If you understand French, I think you will find these articles interesting too.

La Port-au-Prince du Nord, un mois apr?s le s?isme | Le Devoir

La diaspora au chevet de son pays bless? | Le Devoir

After reading the articles these thoughts come to mind:

Looking at the other side of the coin tells the story of how the earthquake in Haiti has had a devastating effect (no pun intended) on all Haitians, those living in the country, the Diaspora and the international community. Canada's contribution has been significant not only monetary support but also the government thus far has expedited the paperwork in order for Haitians to immigrate to Montreal where the largest Diaspora of Haitians in Canada lives.

However, in spite of the paperwork being expedited there's still anguish and anxiety among family members and the passage of time just seems slow. Many Haitians in Montreal find it difficult to wait and feel helpless knowing that their kids and family members are living on the street. The humanitarian effort by the government is commendable and surely the Haitian community is grateful. Many will leave or have already left Haiti with a chance at a better life but what about the rest of Haitians (close to a million) who are left homeless and don't have pending sponsorship from a family member abroad? What does the future hold for them in their impoverished nation?

The articles are an eye opener and they reference some thoughts from the Diaspora that have been echoed recently- Haiti has to change. The earthquake's devastation is a wake up call. No more just sending money back home because what purpose will it serve. It's time for all Haitians to start collectively thinking about how to rebuild their country, a nation that fought for its independence over two hundred years ago but has been enduring political strife and upheaval for many decades.

I just get the feeling that Haiti as a country is on the brink of change and what ever happens going forward will have its effect on Hispaniola, there's no way around it. What Haiti does or does not do going forward will have an impact on the DR. After reading these articles, it has made me realize that the Diaspora meaning the significant large Haitian communities in Miami, New York and Montreal need to organize as well in order to play a key role and be effective in rebuilding and shaping Haiti's future.

-MP.

Reactions: AlterEgo