Laws with regards to child custody?

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
A question for the well informed among you.
A couple have a child, Expat and a Dominican lady. They live together and try to bring the child up together. The relationship doesn't work. What are the chances the guy could get custody of the child.
Factors;
The guy has supported the family completely since day one of the relationship.
The woman has no means to bring money into the household, has no education and has never had a job.
The family of the woman have no money or jobs.
The guy is stable, is financially secure.
The child has dual nationality but may or may not leave the country.

How would a court see this situation and what are the chances the guy gets the child?

I am trying to advise a neighbour about whether to even start this process, I know many courts in other countries may only issue an order to pay support and leave the child with the mother.

Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is the expat the father of the child?

I ask because it is not uncommon for an expat to take up with a woman who already has a child or is pregnant by another man.

I assume from your first post he is, but if not, this should be noted.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
child custody

What if the child is over 2 years old (girl).. are the chances better then? My husbands daughter is always getting parasites and is sick . we want to take custody and don't know where to start with that process. We live here in a nice home, the mother lives with her family in a small dirty place.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
This is very important. Courts will very rarely give custody of a female child to a father. If it is a boy he has a lot more chance.

matilda

Which is why I asked the question but that still remains to be disclosed :cheeky:

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
The child is a 6 month old girl, they all still live together in a family environment and if custody is not an option then I expect he will keep it that way for the childs sakes, even though the relationship is terrible.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The younger the child, the less likely that custody will be granted to the father.

This type of case is very difficult to win unless evidence of improper behavior, abuse, etc. can be shown in court.

On the other hand, it would be very easy to obtain frequent visitation rights, etc. that will at least keep you in the know of what's happening.

notalwaysparadise

Mar 30, 2010
My Situation is similar but different

My SON is now 2 years old. About 1.5 years ago I caught my wife cheating.
We tried to work it out but she cheated a second time. (with a teenager)
After that I tried to work out a suitable arrangement and put her up in an apartment close to the house.
She was rarely coming to see our son and I was the primary caregiver. She was more interested in "lets just say Going out" . I even got her a good job. Which she lost due to non-performance and an affair in her office. In 4 months she saw him maybe 4-5 times at her apartment. Which by the way I fully furnished so my son had a relatively safe and clean and modern place like his home here.

Long story short, I advised her that if she wasn't going to spend time with her son, I was cutting off the money. I did that because her games continued.

For the next 2-3 months, when she wanted to see him, I sent food and diapers and his supplies so she could spend time with him. Then she began stealing from my house if I was away.
So then I told her that was stopped too and that she was to take responsibility and supply at the very least his milk and pampers.

So this week she took him and left and went to her mothers house.
She has lied, cheated been violent and aggressive and manipulative for the last 1/1/2 . (Probably before that too).

After 2 years of fantastic care, love and relationship with my son, she has taken him at her will.

I have a Lawyer and am preparing to take action but wanted to know your guys take on this and my chances, in your humble opinions, to get my son back. And full custody. And any advise and criticisms are welcome.

She has no job, no university education and is now at her mom's house who is a waitress.

Believe me that I have done everything right and my son was my only priority in my life. She could not get through a day with him

Sorry for the long post, a little emotional and frustrated.