DIRECTV in the DR

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
Does anyone know if you can use a directv satelite reciever within the DR? I was able to take my reciever which has a legal account in NY and use it while I was working in Port au Prince. Now after the earthquake i have moved here temporarily. In PAP the signal was clear unless it rained but we were using a dish much larger than what is used in the States or even larger tahn what CODETEL or SKY use. I know places like the OUTBACK and HARD Rock are using DIRECTV but figure they have a dish the size of ones used by NASA!!

So please if anyone knows if it's possible let me know and what I need to do in order to watch my ESPN March Madness package.

thanks!

Feb 7, 2007
You can use DirecTV, I think you would need a 6-ft dish.

Anyway, Echostar (DishNetwork) has much better reception here in the DR, on their 110? bird you can get 90+% signal/quality on just 3-ft dish, about 70% S/Q on DN 119? bird with the same 3ft dish.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I'm about to send a HD DVR receiver to the DR to be set up with my account, the thing is, will the 6' dish pull the HD signal??

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I'm about to send a HD DVR receiver to the DR to be set up with my account, the thing is, will the 6' dish pull the HD signal??

installation dude in NY(DIRECTV) told me there is only one signal but you have to run 2 lines to the HD receiver/DVR, like stereophonic setup or something so you can record programas while looking at others.

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
installation dude in NY(DIRECTV) told me there is only one signal but you have to run 2 lines to the HD receiver/DVR, like stereophonic setup or something so you can record programas while looking at others.

any ideas where to find a 6 ft dish in SD? and what's the cost for it?

Feb 7, 2007
It's from 7.000 pesos and up (used). Depends on what comes up. A new one is about 9-10k. PM me for contact details of a person who can supply you all satellite equipment at good cost (in SD). Note: I am not affiliated with him.

ralph_diaz0129

Nov 21, 2012
what do i need an need to do in order to set up my directv receiver in santiago, dominican republic. i've been trying to find out for quite a while and just found this site. please im me asap. my mom is killing me. (it's for her).

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The usual Hardware

what do i need an need to do in order to set up my directv receiver in santiago, dominican republic. i've been trying to find out for quite a while and just found this site. please im me asap. my mom is killing me. (it's for her).

Whether it is Directv or Dishnet (which I prefer) you need a dish (a 6-footer locally made is fine and gives you a good rain fade reserve), the LNB('s), a DiSEqC switch and cabling.
A satellite finder helps when you DIY.

In case you switch to DN, of course a different receiver is needed.
[I sent you a PM.]

donP

Feb 7, 2007
3ft dish is good for Dish but 6ft is better and as mentioned will give you good signal even during medium storm. For DirecTV, double the dish size.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Precise Dish

3ft dish is good for Dish but 6ft is better and as mentioned will give you good signal even during medium storm. For DirecTV, double the dish size.

Correct.
However, I found that a 1.2 m for DN (unless it is a very precise dish from the US) would not give me a sufficient S/Q for all transponders, especially on 118.8 (Anik F3).

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Keep in mind for DISH network that to get the SD channels and the bulk of HD channels you need to get satellites 110, 119 and 72.7. That means at least two dishes, one for 110, 119 and one for 72.7 which needs at least a 2 meter dish from what I can tell. The bulk of the HD channels are on either 72.7 or 129 and 129 is not available in the DR while 72.7 barely is.