Must see in DR

Tru-life

Feb 15, 2010
Me and a friend is going to DR in June. And i was thinking if you could tell me if there are some places, there is a must see in DR. We will start in Santo Domingo and stayin there for some days (4 -5 days) . We thinking about renting a car there and cruise the country a little. We like beautyful nature and beautyful girls ;) So its gonna be a vacation with girls, party and adventure

So people if you can tell some beautyful places to visit, i would be grateful.

PS. I almost speak spanish fluently and been traveling to Cuba a lot of times so im use to the mentality in the caribbean.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cuba is NOT the Dominican
Republic, as you will quickly realize.

That said:
The Museo de las Casas Reales, the Jardin Botanica, the Colonial Zone and cathedral
Tres Ojos.
Then get out of Santo Domingo. Juanh Dolio, La Romana (if you can afford it) Punta Cana, Saman?, El Limon waterfalls,

Then Constanza, Jarabacoa, river rafting, waterfalls, or go motorcycle riding with Motocaribe (see ad here...MotoCaribe Motorcycle Tours MotoCaribe Motorcycle Tours)

The North Shore for some "real" beaches...

That;s it in a nutshell...really nutty!

HB

Tru-life

Feb 15, 2010
Of course DR is not Cuba. I will just paint a picture that im not completely new to the "lets get money from the tourist" mentality of the callejeros and other locals.

But still a newbie to the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I amj sure some are chomping on the bit do tell you not to drive here. Okay. Don't do it the first time. Driving here is chaotic...to say the least. However, if you do, be totally informed as to insurance and make sure it included the "Casa del Conductor" as that could save your bacon in case of a fenderbender.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hikes into the "jungle", out of the beaten track.
horseriding in the mountains.
any mountain road from santiago to the north coast - spectacular views.

i would suspect that climbing pico duarte can be a great adventure but i have never been there so far. one day, one day...

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I loved the north coast

:cross-eye:cross-eyeDon't know how long you're going to stay or how far you plan to venture but I loved the North Coast, took a catamaran trip from Puerto Plata to Sosua and snorkeled there on the reef. It's no Great Barrier Reef but we got to see lots of fish and partied a lot on the Catamaran. Surprised I was able to snorkle after all that partying LOL

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
If you're coming in June, drive to Bani and load up on mangos along the roadways. There will be dozens of places to buy a bag to enjoy. If you go south of Bani, you can enjoy a nice fish lunch beachside in Palenque. Continuing to the southwest of the DR, past Bani, there is a long bridge over a river where they sell both native brooms and the black and white wood garlic smashers (sorry, I can't remember what the heck they are really called) , but it's a nice uniquely Dominican souvenir.

Continue to the southwest and take the road from Barahona to La Cienaga (the road continues on to Pedernales, but it's a long trip there) on top of the cliffs above the ocean. If it's on the weekend, stop and swim where the river empties into the ocean on that stretch of road with hundreds of the locals.

Other side of the country, go north from Hato Mayor on the road to Sabana de la Mar early in the morning. Probably very little traffic, and a nice quiet country road (which can be rough in spots if there have been any big rains lately). Just past El Valle on this road, you will come through a stretch of a few miles lined on both sides with mature oil palms as far as you can see for a few miles. This road early in the morning reminded me of the Yosemite Valley redwood forests if no one is around. You can finish up by gorging yourself on shrimp at Sabana de la Mar, or by catching the passenger ferry across to Saman?.

S

SamTHorn

Great thread you got going here. Thanks for all the tips. I would like to follow this thread and thanks for posting.

~ Sam

EmaxxDR

Mar 14, 2010
www.emaxx.us
Jarabacoa is the most beautiful small town in the DR. While you in Jarabacoa go up the mountian to Hamaca de Dios (Gods Hamock) and then take a drive to Pico Duarte (The highest peak in the Caribbean. Enjoy

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi Tru-life,

Your time in Cuba will stand you in good-sted in the DR, at least you know how to order, Arroz con pollo washed down with Cuba libre.
A visit to the North coast is a must, Samana Las Terrenas lots to do and see.

Have Fun

Tru-life

Feb 15, 2010
Hi Tru-life,

Your time in Cuba will stand you in good-sted in the DR, at least you know how to order, Arroz con pollo washed down with Cuba libre.
A visit to the North coast is a must, Samana Las Terrenas lots to do and see.

Have Fun

jaja...espa?ol es facil ;)

Ive almost planned my trip, were staying in the citys santo domingo, las terrenas, sosua and santiago.
And making excursions from these citys to some diving near catalina, hiking el salto limon, los haitises, laguna gri gri, puerto plato, hiking and riverrafting near jarabacoa.

And of course relaxing on the beautyful beaches on the north coast. Night life, long walks and sightseeing in every city we stay in. And of course un monton de chicas, we are afterall only 25 and 26;)

thanks for the help.