there are good people in the dr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Two Acts Of Honesty In One Day

Call 'em Like I See 'em

On Saturday I was checking out of the Playero in Sosua and I handed the cashier 100 pesos more than i was supposed to pay and she noticed the error and gave me back my money.

After sharing a Chinese lunch in Cabarete with a shoe shine boy I went to the local fish monger's store to purchase some lobster only to find him closed with a sign with his cell phone.

I flagged down a motoconcho driver and explained that I had left my cell phone in Sosua and asked him if he could call the guy and come back and sell me some lobster.

I handed him 50 pesos to call the guy and he rode off.

Looking for a back up plan I went to the German store next door...he would not make the call " we have no phone" Ya right.

Any way the motoconcho guy took my 50 pesos and added 50 of his own to buy some minutes and returned , called the guy and mission accomplished.

However after defrosting and grilling the lobster 2 out of the 4 were mushy.

So the bottom line is, an honest cashier and an honsest motoconcho driver will make up for getting burnt for $40 dollars worth of lousy Lobster.

BS...who's kidding who!

LOL.... I live on a Caribbean Island and can't even enjoy fresh lobster!

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
enough of the bad, lying, thieving, gansters, pimps, prodtitutes stories!!
lets start tellin about the good ones without comments from others (oh...they were settin you up for more later)

Call 'em Like I See 'em

On Saturday I was checking out of the Playero in Sosua and I handed the cashier 100 pesos more than i was supposed to pay and she noticed the error and gave me back my money.

After sharing a Chinese lunch in Cabarete with a shoe shine boy I went to the local fish monger's store to purchase some lobster only to find him closed with a sign with his cell phone.

I flagged down a motoconcho driver and explained that I had left my cell phone in Sosua and asked him if he could call the guy and come back and sell me some lobster.

I handed him 50 pesos to call the guy and he rode off.

Looking for a back up plan I went to the German store next door...he would not make the call " we have no phone" Ya right.

Any way the motoconcho guy took my 50 pesos and added 50 of his own to buy some minutes and returned , called the guy and mission accomplished.

i myself, left my bank card in the atm machine in front of about a dozen motoconchos and walked away...one grabbed it...wait for this.....and tracked me down in a store a half block away...tried to give him 100 pesos...said no thanks that it wasn't a problem....

feel free to add any good gestures you have recieved from the locals

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
thanx for the idea

great post..about time someone said something positive instread of all the negativaty surrounding the locals...

liked it so much i stole your platform...sorry about that :)
was meant in a good way tho

best to you

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
my partner has dropped his wallet on the street twice and all the money out of his pocket once - it was returned on all three occasions (and yes it was in Sosua yay ...)

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I've also had positive experiences with the staff of the resort we stayed in. They treated us like family. They learned our names and would put aside special food items for us because my daughter and I both have allergies. We often left our money, cameras and valueables out of the safe by accident and the maids had been to the room and nothing was ever taken. I met a lot of honest people while we were on holidays and will gladly return to Puerto Plata again.

Mar 2, 2008
It is nice to bump into Mike l occasionally. He always has a smile and a good-hearted laugh. That makes for a good day, even if everything else is screwed up.

The fact is, most days have a mix of good and bad experiences here, as is the case almost everywhere. Most of the time the good outweighs the bad, and when all is said and done we live relatively happy lives.

When something bad happens it is usually something pretty awful, and those things tend to obscure the fact that we have been blessed with the many good things.

The bottom line is, every day above ground is a good day, and the days are particularly good when there is no snow covering it.

I sincerely hope we all have many more.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
One of my employees lost his wallet at Salto Jimenoa with all his ID's and RD$5000 in it.

Two days later he gets a call that it was found. WITH the $$$ still in it.

He retrieves it and offers a reward...that was refused.

Mar 2, 2008
Perhaps these two thread should be combined, but until they are I will post here what I posted on the other thread.

It is nice to bump into Mike l occasionally. He always has a smile and a good-hearted laugh. That makes for a good day, even if everything else is screwed up.

The fact is, most days have a mix of good and bad experiences here, as is the case almost everywhere. Most of the time the good outweighs the bad, and when all is said and done we live relatively happy lives.

When something bad happens it is usually something pretty awful, and those things tend to obscure the fact that we have been blessed with the many good things.

The bottom line is, every day above ground is a good day, and the days are particularly good when there is no snow covering it.

I sincerely hope we all have many more.

The two threads have now been merged - if there are any duplicates which disrupt the flow of the thread please let me know.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
There're lots of good and honest people in the DR and have experienced this many times myself. It's the a$$holes who screw it up for the good ones like the 2 cops who had to stop my partner and I last Wednesday on or way to LT who needed some money. My partner gave them RD100, I would have told them pi$$ off but he was the one who was driving.

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Agreed

My first trip to the DR in Cabarete I was purchasing a SIM card for my cell phone and I did not know how to get more minutes. With my limited spanish I asked the girl how. A guy who was standing there offered to run and get me one. I gave him 100 pesos and he ran down the street on a particularly hot day to purchase me a hundred pesos phone card. When he returned sweat was rolling down his face. I offered him a tip but he refused and told me to have a nice day.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
feelin a bit flaky right now

ya just had to mention the snow part huh....:) lol

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I have a young Hatian guy who does work for me a couple of days a week. He turns his hand to most things, gardening, painting etc. My wife sorted out some of my unused trousers and t-shirts for him and he took them home. The next time he came he handed me 100 pesos in smaller notes that he found in one of the pockets. He knows me well enough to know that I wasn't setting him up, I told him to keep it which he did but reluctantly!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I was trying to recall a scenario to relate in this thread but, I have experienced so many acts of kindness, generosity and honesty since living here for the past 3+ years, it would be unfair to select one particular instance.

So, let me just say, that for me the good experiences outweigh the bad experiences by at least 1000 to 1.

Reactions: Chirimoya

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a young Hatian guy who does work for me a couple of days a week. He turns his hand to most things, gardening, painting etc. My wife sorted out some of my unused trousers and t-shirts for him and he took them home. The next time he came he handed me 100 pesos in smaller notes that he found in one of the pockets. He knows me well enough to know that I wasn't setting him up, I told him to keep it which he did but reluctantly!

My mother-in-law repeatedly 'set-up' the loyal Haitian caretaker on our property in Playa Najayo. [Even members of our own family have tried to "steal" him from us, but he's very devoted to my husband.] She spends as much time as she can out there, and I don't think she trusts anyone. Perpetually suspicious. She left change, money, jewelry, etc. around on various occasions over a couple of years, and each time he would bring it to her and warn her "Senora, you have to be more careful, there are thieves around here". We trust him implicitly, he has keys to the house - all except my mother-in-law's bedroom, which she keeps padlocked. My husband had to ask her for the key after we went out there alone one day and found out she had all the toilet paper locked up in there :surprised

AE

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
What a great idea Mike, starting a positive thread about Sosua, my second home.

On more than one occasion I have had my change fall out of my pocket while enjoying a Santo Libre in the Merengue Bar. Each time a chica has tapped me on the shoulder, handed me my money and chastised me by saying, " cuidate, muchos ladrones aqui"

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
we could have gotten married in Cuba this year for just the cost of a holiday... no document fees, no seperate wedding costs, all fully inclusive with the holiday...

but we decided on Sosua because of ALL the people we met. The ex-pats, the hotel staff, the beach workers, everyone.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I was trying to recall a scenario to relate in this thread but, I have experienced so many acts of kindness, generosity and honesty since living here for the past 3+ years, it would be unfair to select one particular instance.

So, let me just say, that for me the good experiences outweigh the bad experiences by at least 1000 to 1.

So true and so well put!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.