One-legged guy outside Casa Marina Reef Entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
afternoon all... was wondering if anyone knows the story of the one-legged guy who sits all day with his little collection tin outside the Jewish Museum adjacent to the CM Reef entrance? When we stayed there we'd always profer our shrapnel on the way out from (and back in to) the resort...
but I hasten to add, he only ever rattled his tin at us once, on our first walk-by. we just seemed to fall into the daily habit of handing over our small change in return for a warm smile and a pigeon-english 'hello' for us...

reason I recall this chap now is from reading the 'good people' thread and remembering how as we were leaving on the airport transfer, he spotted us through the tinted windows and gave us a massive grin and wave that brought tears to my partners eyes (asnd a lump to my throat...)

as far as 'good people' go... well, like I said, he only ever rattled his tin at us the once, an insignificant action, but in stark contrast to the daily ritual we'd endure repeatedly from vendors all the way from the hotel to the beach.

So I nominate this guy as a 'good people'... but would love to hear if anyone knows anything of his story... and of course would be delighted to hear he's still about...

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I've known him for a long time, since before the amputation of his leg actually! He was in a wheel chair then. He has a son called Manuel who always comes into my office to get water for him, nice kid!

Reactions: Lucille

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
He is still in business. Spends his weekdays at entrance to parking lot of Banco Popular, then moves to Jewish Museum when bank closes.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Is he related to the one legged guy that blocks the entrance to Farmacia Sosua across from P.J.'s? They must have a union of some sort to get the better spots.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is he related to the one legged guy that blocks the entrance to Farmacia Sosua across from P.J.'s? They must have a union of some sort to get the better spots.

There is no one legged guy in front of Farmacia Sosua; there is a man in a wheel chair with massive shoulders and very thin legs, one of which is clearly deformed. He is always smiling, despite his handicap, and never rattles his cup. I always chat with him when I go by, and he is the one I regularly give money to.

Before he was given a wheel chair, he went around town on hands and toes. Smiling then, even though it was painful to watch him because it was so very difficult for him.

He is one of the friendliest people in Sosua and has many friends helping him, not the least being Farmacia Sosua.

Blocking the entrance is hardly the way to describe his position. Yes, he is parked on the walk leading to the door of the farmacia, but unless you are more massive than I think you are, you should have no trouble walking past him.

This is a country that has no social welfare programs to support the handicapped and for this reason people like my friend and the one in front of the bank/museum must go on the street.

If I were in his situation, I doubt that I could be as friendly an outgoing as he is. Next time you pass by, tamborista, ask yourself what you would do if you had such a handicap in a country that has no social programs to assist you.

There is another fellow also in front of farmacia Sosua, but he always has a sour expression, unlike my friend who is always smiling and friendly with passersby.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
The guy who smiles in front of the pharmacia was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. He's a very nice guy. I think his name is Miguel.

Reactions: mike l

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The guy who sit's in front of the pharmacia is always asking me for money and I buy him a cold drink when it's hot.

These guys do seem to have their territories staked out and the guy at the pharmacy has even started working 7 days a week now that it's Prime Time.

The one's to really feel sorry for is the guy who pushes the 100 year old lady for about 5 miles along the hghiway to get to Sosua to beg then he pushes her back or has enough pesos for public transport.

They do earn their money!

Aug 21, 2007
Over the past years, I understand from Dr. Bob that Dominican Crossroads has helped both men who have met more than their share of challenges. A few pesos given to either of them is like giving to a local charity, as that is where they would otherwise come for help.

I admire their initiative in the face of adversity. And i recommend giving them a few pesos-not much- the next time you pass.

I know I do.

Lindsey

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I agree with Ken, the fellow at the pharmacy is always smiling and very polite.
He never has hindered my progress in or out of the store. He is always the one I will give my change to also. I cannot even begin to imagine what it is like to have such challenges with not a shred of a social program in sight. His cheerful attitude attests to the faith he must have to sustain him!!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I also give the guy in the wheel chair change when entering Banco Popular, he is always appreciative and he waves when I cruise past him on my bike.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I also give the guy in the wheel chair change when entering Banco Popular, he is always appreciative and he waves when I cruise past him on my bike.

He was there 2 hours after the bank closed today and so was the guy at the pharmacia.

With only a couple of good months left for tourist's they seem to be working overtime.

I donate to those guys when business is slow

Reactions: Tamborista

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
anything helps

i don't care much for people who ASK for money
however considering the economy and the health care in the dr.
any little bit i can do to help i will...the government can't or won't help them and the locals have enough problems taking care of thier own families.
at home i buy coffees even though i have at home, newspapers even though i have tv and radio, lottery tickets even though i have no chance of winning.....
in other words...i toss money foolish several times a day so why not put it to good use where it is needed

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Each of you who have posted are miracle workers! Exactly the sort of folks that make immediate differences in people's lives......kudos to you all!

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
The two guys outside the pharmacia are the ones I usually split my change between. I tend to pass by there on my home. The one guy always says in perfect English "Thank you my friend." The other I heard lost his feet to diabetes. I had no idea what being diabetic meant until I was diagnosed with Type 2 a few years ago. It was a life altering experience for me, diet, drugs, exercise etc. Of course once diabetic you?re always diabetic but I have mine under control now. I can?t imagine how it must be here in the DR for someone in that position. So really, how could I walk by that guy knowing what I know? Last year there was another guy around I couldn?t walk by who was an obvious Thalidomide victim. He was a bit surly but I think I would be too if I was him. I have not seen him here this year.
Mack.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a one legged dude asking for money here in POP. he shares his time between jose luis and banco popular (close to cathedral). but he is a drunkard and a drug addict, so i hear.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there was a one legged builder that helped to build the flag garden in the centre of sosua....there is also one that dances bachata in sosua (hes on u tube) , it may be the same person

Reactions: mike l

cassieann

May 9, 2009
most are due to moto accidents, its so expensive to have opps removing the limb is the cheaper option :disappoin

Status
Not open for further replies.