New IKEA photos

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, the prices are fine, from i have seen in a catalogue. but i am afraid it will not take fancy of dominicans: too light, too modern and too cheap looking.
but i will sail there straight away to buy sofa camas :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
no, the prices are fine, from i have seen in a catalogue. but i am afraid it will not take fancy of dominicans: too light, too modern and too cheap looking.
but i will sail there straight away to buy sofa camas :)

I disagree, it might not be to the taste of those Dominicans living in Zona Oriental etc, but all the Dominicans I have spoken to have told me they are dying to get inside IKEA and buy. I have no doubt IKEA will do very well here.

The capital must have 10+ contemporary furniture stores, the largest being Ilumel which is HUGE and super expensive! These types of stores are going to take a hit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my point is that rich dominicans will buy expensive anyways.
poor dominicans will never be able to afford ikea.
middle class dominicans are traditionalists who go with caoba nine times out of ten.
so who will buy there once the novelty wears out?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The novelty may not wear off that quickly. If you look at other places where IKEA set up shop it succeeded in changing people's tastes drastically.

IKEA could even make "chuck out your mahogany tentacles" ads for the DR market but it doesn't trip off the tongue quite the same way. :D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
:) all this time i have been in DR i saw only one home with modern decor and not a square inch of caoba in sight. i think mahogany roots go deep into the hearts of dominicans :)
but alas, all is possible.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Most people I know in Punta Cana are Dominican but they all have modern look (Ilumel or similar) furniture. I haven't seen mahogany tentacles here at all. In the capital it was a bit of both.

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
i am excited not necessarily for the big furniture pieces, which i have never been keen on, but the smaller items that help decorate a house. That and the kids furniture, storage/bookcases, and kitchen items will carry it far. Also, with good prices and a store design that doesn't allow you to leave the store buying only what you went for (I can't count the number of times I left IKEA thinking they got me again with a full bag, but still happy!)

My prediction is it will do very well and be a staple for many, many families!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Robert has a point. The locally made furniture is some of the most uncomfortable I have ever seen. Some of it also reminds me of the gaudy stuff I saw in Sri Lanka. For that reason alone Ikea stands a chance to do some business just because it is so different.

Let us know how good the sofa cama is.

When you see a Dominican buying a product "because is comfortable" let me know, looks sells everything in the DR.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
I disagree, it might not be to the taste of those Dominicans living in Zona Oriental etc, but all the Dominicans I have spoken to have told me they are dying to get inside IKEA and buy. I have no doubt IKEA will do very well here.

The capital must have 10+ contemporary furniture stores, the largest being Ilumel which is HUGE and super expensive! These types of stores are going to take a hit.

I couldn't agree more. If there's one thing that's certain it's that Dominicans (Especially the Naco/Arroyo Hondo/Prados/El Millon variety) must have the newest, fanciest, shiniest imported toys. Ikea should do well.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Ikea will do well IMO (even with their overinflated prices), because there's a large enough middle/upper class population to maintain this one store going and since they don't really have much competition they can pretty much set the market rules.

The lower middle class I think will still buy Caoba for a long time to come. Why? Because since you don't have the money to replace your furniture every couple of years, when you get a living or dining room set you want to make sure is very durable and that it won't be food for Carcoma...same rational why we build houses out of Cement and not wood.

I'm glad there's another choice for consumers, but after seeing the prices I'm not sure I'll be a regular customer there.

GREATZKY

Sep 5, 2003
The termites think that
IKEA furniture is very comfortable, yes, very soft wood!!!!.... Good Luck:)

Nov 25, 2008
IKEA hits also young teenagers moving out of the parents home to start their life "solo"
this does not apply here in the DR, kids move out at the age when they are going to be married.
Roble, Caoba is the heritage of the Dominicans, you cant compare that to plywood furniture.
Does anyone know if the Cinnebun is also in IKEA?????

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Roble, Caoba is the heritage of the Dominicans, you cant compare that to plywood furniture.
Does anyone know if the Cinnebun is also in IKEA?????

It doesn't compare in the durability factor, but that will not stop Dominicans buying a ton of IKEA stuff.

The IKEA store is a US$85 million investment and I have no doubt they have done their homework. The DR is the first store in Latin America and will be the launching pad for others throughout the region.

I think Acropolis or Plaza Central has a Cinnabon store.

IKEA are selling their famous meatballs if that helps? jejeje

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've always liked the IKEA light fittings. They were so cheap and pretty good quality, something I've yet to find here.

Even if the big furniture isn't to everyone's taste I've always thought that things like curtains, rugs, kitchenware, crockery and even the house plants were really good value.

Welcome competition for the Dr that's for sure!