The DR - on a shoestring!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My intrepid friends prove that it can be done - a budget backpacker trip to the DR.

Cheap flight-only deal from the UK with Thomsonfly - ?250 per person for a two-week stay.

Of course, it helps to have friends with a spare room a few minutes away from Punta Cana airport. They spent the first few days with us here and we made a couple of day trips to Bayahibe/Saona and Playa Macao. They thought they might hire a car, but after one minute of driving in Ver?n they changed tactics.

They set off for SD on the Expreso B?varo which is about RD$320 (US$9) per person.

Armed with the Rough Guide, they looked for a moderately-priced hotel in the Colonial Zone. They tried Casa Elvira (which has been highly recommended in the past) which the Rough Guide (published Jan 09) put in the US$30-US$50 price range. They found that the price was actually US$140 and were shown a very small cramped room for US$110 so they decided to try elsewhere.

So, they ended up staying at El Refugio on Meri?o for RD$1,000 (US$27) a night. They ate traditional Dominican food at Mimosa's on Nouel and had breakfast at La Cafetera del Conde.

After a sightseeing in the Colonial Zone and shopping in the Mercado Modelo, they travelled to Samana on Caribe tours and spent one night at the Hotel Docia (RD$ 1000 per night). After whale watching with Kim Bedall (US$55 per person and worth every penny) they continued to Las Galeras.

In Las Galeras they stayed at Gri Gri's (also RD$1000 per night) and ate at the local comedores/on the beach. Took the boat from LG to Playa Rinc?n for RD$600 per person. On their last day in Saman? they took the guagua or camioneta to El Lim?n and went to the waterfall from Parada Do?a Nega. RD$500 per person including lunch and horses.

They returned to Punta Cana via ferry to Sabana de la Mar and took guaguas to Miches (against my advice because the road is so bad, but they made it OK) and then on to Higuey and then on to Punta Cana.

This information is incomplete when it comes to some of the prices, because it's a second-hand account posted with their permission.

Reactions: mike l

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
A little creativity goes a long way!

Interesting trip report and nice to have a "different" perspective. I am sure the information provided will be of help to other prospective travellers looking to go this route.

Thanks for sharing Chiri.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
It can be done. I did it one year for 1000 US including air from Maine. You have to have friends, be willing to try local things, and not have airs....something tells me your friends don't have airs.....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They don't have airs, no. Not that much Spanish either but enough to have basic conversations about everyday stuff and one of the main things for them was active engagement with Dominicans, chatting on the guaguas, bantering with the food sellers, etc.

They have enough experience of Africa and the Middle East between them to be aware of hustlers without being suspicious of everyone who approached them.

I haven't travelled like that for a long time but apparently some old backpackers never die. :)

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I really don't think that a budget vacation in the DR is all that risky. And you really don't need to have a friend willing to share thier home with you. There are several inexpensive hotels in the capitol and around the country and there are an equal number of good restaurants that won't break your budget. Of course, if you require five star hotel accommodations and restaurants that cater to the rich and famous, then bring your American Express Gold Card and a pocket full of dineros. One of the great things about the DR is that there is something for everyone.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Plenty of people travel around the country on a tight budget without a problem.
All you need is a little common sense and some street smarts.

The main problem is lack of information on places to stay, transport options, landmarks etc. That is slowly changing and DR1 is doing it's bit to push along that change :)

FirsttimerDR

Mar 13, 2010
Hi all,

Just booked a cheap flight to DR Punta Cana, 2 weeks there. It's the first time and will travel on budget as well and thought about visiting Santa domingo as well as North coast with whale watching and area of Terrenas I think. Any ideas/suggestions please? I want to get to know the culture, people, food, music etc. and stay mostly away from major tourism (however travel alone as a girl so nice to hook up with other travelers in hostels/hotels). HOw can I best get from Punta Cana airport to Bavaro which I understand is where the Express Bus leaves from for Santa Domingo? Or is there a straight trip up north? And any suggestions of a cheap hotel in Punta Cana as I arrive at 5pm?
Thanks a lot for the advice.

A.

julija

Apr 15, 2010
if somebody called that very risky, so in my case it's going to be extremely risky then as I'm on a very tight budget, very young solo female traveller . I'm staying in DR for 8 days, starting with Santo Domingo staying there one day and a half and making my way to Samana, probably doing the same as what they did, Las Galeras, El Limon etc maybe including Los Haitises national park. Then going to Cabarete to learn how to surf. If anyone thinks there's a better option than exploring Samana please tell me, as South cost sounds good for exploring as well and I don't know what to choose. I have one day extra so maybe a day trip from Santo Domingo to one of the South towns?

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
if somebody called that very risky, so in my case it's going to be extremely risky then as I'm on a very tight budget, very young solo female traveller . I'm staying in DR for 8 days, starting with Santo Domingo staying there one day and a half and making my way to Samana, probably doing the same as what they did, Las Galeras, El Limon etc maybe including Los Haitises national park. Then going to Cabarete to learn how to surf. If anyone thinks there's a better option than exploring Samana please tell me, as South cost sounds good for exploring as well and I don't know what to choose. I have one day extra so maybe a day trip from Santo Domingo to one of the South towns?

You seem to have a good plan for your stay. If you have one extra day to make a day trip from Santo Domingo, I would not recommend the South. Just getting to Barahona is three hours in car and a bit more on bus. Most of the attractions are even further west much past Barahona.

There are other closer points in the South but I might recommend Jarabacoa for a nice day trip from Santo Domingo. There are two great waterfalls to check out: Salto Jimenoa and Salto Baiguate. The ride is two hours and you're right in the town. Depending on your mode of transportation, I can give you directions to the falls.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
lawdamercy

Hi all,

Just booked a cheap flight to DR Punta Cana, 2 weeks there. It's the first time and will travel on budget as well and thought about visiting Santa domingo as well as North coast with whale watching and area of Terrenas I think. Any ideas/suggestions please? I want to get to know the culture, people, food, music etc. and stay mostly away from major tourism (however travel alone as a girl so nice to hook up with other travelers in hostels/hotels). HOw can I best get from Punta Cana airport to Bavaro which I understand is where the Express Bus leaves from for Santa Domingo? Or is there a straight trip up north? And any suggestions of a cheap hotel in Punta Cana as I arrive at 5pm?
Thanks a lot for the advice.

A.

If one of my daughters told me this I'd prepare a Scotch and Maalox. Then we'd sit down and discuss the following:

Are you fluent in Spanish? Why are you planning on travelling in a 3rd World country all alone? Do you know anyone there? Where are you planning to stay at each destination and what do you know about these places? Why are you doing this to me? Aaarrgh...thud!

Here's what I'd suggest. Plan exactly which days you want to stay at each place. You can get a pretty good deal at the resorts in Bavaro without the AI package. I paid $40/night on my last trip and I took the Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo (4 hours with a stop in Higuey). I returned on a $100/ 35 minute flight. Sometimes you have to pick and choose where to be frugal.

Spend a couple of nights in Bavaro, fly to Santo Domingo and spend a couple days there at $50/ night. Take the Caribe Tours bus to Samana and back to Santo Domingo (having made arrangements for you return after the previous stay there). Stay two to four nights in Samana having planned your activities carefully and explore there before returning on the Caribe Tours bus to Santo Domingo for another night or two stay there. Catch the early flight back to Bavaro and enjoy the beach and the comraderie of your fellow travellers in the safety and security of the resort, travelling outside the resort only in the daylight or when accompanied by fellow travellers with whom you feel safe. Actually you should limit all of your travel to daylight hours.

Then come back home in one piece with all the stuff you left with.

Caribe Tours | Bienvenidos

Home

Travel well.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
very young solo female traveller.

As a mother I had to say something too. How young are you ? Do you speak spanish ? Are you a traveler ? Have you done this before ?

I think DR is very safe but on a very tight budget, by yourself, unexperienced (if you are), it may not be for you (especially with all the traveling you will be doing within the island).

Just my two cents.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo to Bavaro? The only direct bus is Expreso Bavaro.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo to Bavaro? The only direct bus is Expreso Bavaro.

Yes, according to the website there is no longer a route there on Caribe. I last travelled that route in 2007. The Caribe bus went to Higuey and then we caught a smaller carrier from there. It was a nice ride and the scenery was amazing but I wouldn't do that again. The domestic flight is cheap and easy.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
If one of my daughters told me this I'd prepare a Scotch and Maalox. Then we'd sit down and discuss the following:

Are you fluent in Spanish? Why are you planning on travelling in a 3rd World country all alone? Do you know anyone there? Where are you planning to stay at each destination and what do you know about these places? Why are you doing this to me? Aaarrgh...thud!

Here's what I'd suggest. Plan exactly which days you want to stay at each place. You can get a pretty good deal at the resorts in Bavaro without the AI package. I paid $40/night on my last trip and I took the Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo (4 hours with a stop in Higuey). I returned on a $100/ 35 minute flight. Sometimes you have to pick and choose where to be frugal.

Spend a couple of nights in Bavaro, fly to Santo Domingo and spend a couple days there at $50/ night. Take the Caribe Tours bus to Samana and back to Santo Domingo (having made arrangements for you return after the previous stay there). Stay two to four nights in Samana having planned your activities carefully and explore there before returning on the Caribe Tours bus to Santo Domingo for another night or two stay there. Catch the early flight back to Bavaro and enjoy the beach and the comraderie of your fellow travellers in the safety and security of the resort, travelling outside the resort only in the daylight or when accompanied by fellow travellers with whom you feel safe. Actually you should limit all of your travel to daylight hours.

Then come back home in one piece with all the stuff you left with.

Caribe Tours | Bienvenidos

Home

Travel well.

I totally disagree. I understand the part about you being a father and worrying, but I disagree with your suggestion to just send her off to an all-inclusive resort and to "oh so carefully" plan her trip.

I will let the poster speak for herself but I applaud the fact that she is coming to the DR, seemingly as a backpacker, and experiencing the country. What does she need to be afraid of? I know several girls who have backpacked this country alone and they always go home with the best stories and a fuller experience. On the other hand, she can hang out by the pool at an AI, sip pi?a coladas and hit the buffet 7 times a day.

I am personally not an all-inclusive person, some people are; to each his own. Just from her post, I would assume she is also not an all-inclusive person either. Once again, I will let her respond.

I think it's a good idea for her to tentatively plan her trip but when traveling independently, things sometimes change. The trip actually takes you. If she comes here with this huge fear sensor in her head she will not be open to new experiences and meeting new people.

Can something bad happen? Yes. Can something bad happen to her in her hometown? Yes. Unfortunately, fear is one of the biggest barriers when experiencing new things.

If I would have listened to the "dangerous" sermon from my family and friends, I never would have left my neighborhood let alone the country.

And kudos to the tight budget. Arthur Frommer says that the less you spend on a trip, the more you experience it. I am a believer of that statement.

I say: Good for her...