tourist stay question

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
I have been travelling the DR for just over 3 months now and want to continue on for awhile, before I decide whether I will call it home and pursue legal residency. My work is e-based so it is irrelevant where i live.

As I understand from my exploratory reading on the board, my USA drivers license is invalid after passing the 90 day point. Therefore for me to keep my license in good legal standing in the DR, I need to trip out of country to extend it another 90 days, correct?
What I am asking the board is what they recommend is the quickest least expensive way of accomplishing this task. Meaning is it a drive to Haiti(which now may be a challenge) fly PR or any other countires in close proximity. I want to do this on the cheap.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
fly spirit to fort lauderdale...

on the other hand... no habla espanol works pretty well as well... if stopped... ever

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Your other inexpensive option is to check out Jet Blue from Santo Domingo to San Juan. Last time I checked, the flight was a bit over $100.00 total (one way). I think Spirit is more, unless you get one of their $9.00 fares.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Is there always a 'workaround' to DR laws and restrictions? :bunny:

Just makes me giggle.... been living here in the DR for 3 years and 8 months and have NEVER been asked to produce either my UK or Dominican driving licence yet but, fortunately, I have also not been involved in an accident harming a local or anyone else!

Ouch, perhaps I should not have said that!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: mike l

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Is there always a 'workaround' to DR laws and restrictions? :bunny:

Just makes me giggle.... been living here in the DR for 3 years and 8 months and have NEVER been asked to produce either my UK or Dominican driving licence yet but, fortunately, I have also not been involved in an accident harming a local or anyone else!

Ouch, perhaps I should not have said that!!!!!!!!!
AMET is doing more and more spur of the moment traffic stops, even with the current stickers on the windshields.

I was flagged down the other day by AMET even though I was in the left lane and there was heavy traffic in both lanes. He held up traffic and directed me to pull over to the curb. Traffic was all slowing down at the intersection as we did not have the right-of-way. So not that I was doing anything wrong, just random traffic stops.

He asked for my driver's license (I have a Dominican driver's license), then after seeing that, he wanted to see my insurrance card and vehicle registration. After which he returned all the items and waived me to go.

Don

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
Your other inexpensive option is to check out Jet Blue from Santo Domingo to San Juan. Last time I checked, the flight was a bit over $100.00 total (one way). I think Spirit is more, unless you get one of their $9.00 fares.

From what I see, sprint doesnt go to PR, but their FL returns are also under 200 return, cheaper than jet blues return to PR.
I was hoping to go somewhere other than a USA country if posible.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Does anyone have a recommended discount airlines that travels from SD to some of the other Carribean Islands and Central America?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
There is an English guy here who has just gone over the border to Haiti and back, I'm not sure if that gets around the 3 month rule!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
If out of the UK your UK lisence is only valid for 3 months. I'm not sure but will find out if it means 3 months out of the UK or 3 months in any other given country!

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
Make a trip out of it. Take the ferry from Santo domingo to Puerto Rico then back you can even drive in Puerto Rico and then get back to Santo domingo. It is quite of a nice trip actualy. Even better if you decide to ride motorcycles.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Try This

Who cares if you need to leave the country every three months for your licence to be valid again. Do you think that an AMET officer is going to question you if you produce a US licence to him that he is going to ask you how long have you been in the country and even if he does how would you prove it is he going to ask you for your passport. Even if you had your passport with you do you think he is going to look through it to check for your entry stamp or even know what to look for.
As long as you have a valid licence from what ever country you from you should be good. Heck even if your licence is expired I'm sure you'd be fine as again do you think they ( AMET ) would know where to look for the expiration date on a foreign licence.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a crash, injure/kill someone and see what your insurance company says about your invalid license!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Very Wrong

As long as you have a valid licence from what ever country you from you should be good. Heck even if your licence is expired I'm sure you'd be fine

... until that very day when you wish you'd known better.

donP

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
Make a trip out of it. Take the ferry from Santo domingo to Puerto Rico then back you can even drive in Puerto Rico and then get back to Santo domingo. It is quite of a nice trip actualy. Even better if you decide to ride motorcycles.

how long and how much is the Ferry ride? Being a return flight is 200usd taxes in and 30 minute flight.

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
How long

How long does one need to leave the country, to properly refresh or renew the drivers license and out of country tourist requirements?

Can you just cross the border get stamped and turn around, or must you stay a minimum 36- 48 hours?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
How long does one need to leave the country, to properly refresh or renew the drivers license and out of country tourist requirements?

Can you just cross the border get stamped and turn around, or must you stay a minimum 36- 48 hours?

Thats actually a good question and out of curiousity i did a search and found nothing. I recall in Argentina and Costa Rica, you needed to be out of country for minimum 3 days.