Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tourist stay question

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tourist stay question

I have been travelling the DR for just over 3 months now and want to continue on for awhile, before I decide whether I will call it home and pursue legal residency. My work is e-based so it is irrelevant where i live.

As I understand from my exploratory reading on the board, my USA drivers license is invalid after passing the 90 day point. Therefore for me to keep my license in good legal standing in the DR, I need to trip out of country to extend it another 90 days, correct?
    What I am asking the board is what they recommend is the quickest least expensive way of accomplishing this task. Meaning is it a drive to Haiti(which now may be a challenge) fly PR or any other countires in close proximity. I want to do this on the cheap.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

fly spirit to fort lauderdale...

on the other hand... no habla espanol works pretty well as well... if stopped... ever

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Your other inexpensive option is to check out Jet Blue from Santo Domingo to San Juan. Last time I checked, the flight was a bit over $100.00 total (one way). I think Spirit is more, unless you get one of their $9.00 fares.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there always a 'workaround' to DR laws and restrictions?

Just makes me giggle.... been living here in the DR for 3 years and 8 months and have NEVER been asked to produce either my UK or Dominican driving licence yet but, fortunately, I have also not been involved in an accident harming a local or anyone else!

Ouch, perhaps I should not have said that!!!!!!!!!

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whirleybird View Post
    Is there always a 'workaround' to DR laws and restrictions?

Just makes me giggle.... been living here in the DR for 3 years and 8 months and have NEVER been asked to produce either my UK or Dominican driving licence yet but, fortunately, I have also not been involved in an accident harming a local or anyone else!

Ouch, perhaps I should not have said that!!!!!!!!!
    AMET is doing more and more spur of the moment traffic stops, even with the current stickers on the windshields.

I was flagged down the other day by AMET even though I was in the left lane and there was heavy traffic in both lanes. He held up traffic and directed me to pull over to the curb. Traffic was all slowing down at the intersection as we did not have the right-of-way. So not that I was doing anything wrong, just random traffic stops.

He asked for my driver's license (I have a Dominican driver's license), then after seeing that, he wanted to see my insurrance card and vehicle registration. After which he returned all the items and waived me to go.

Don

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by La Profe_1 View Post
    Your other inexpensive option is to check out Jet Blue from Santo Domingo to San Juan. Last time I checked, the flight was a bit over $100.00 total (one way). I think Spirit is more, unless you get one of their $9.00 fares.
    From what I see, sprint doesnt go to PR, but their FL returns are also under 200 return, cheaper than jet blues return to PR.
    I was hoping to go somewhere other than a USA country if posible.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a recommended discount airlines that travels from SD to some of the other Carribean Islands and Central America?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There is an English guy here who has just gone over the border to Haiti and back, I'm not sure if that gets around the 3 month rule!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    There is an English guy here who has just gone over the border to Haiti and back, I'm not sure if that gets around the 3 month rule!
    What exactly is the 3 month rule?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If out of the UK your UK lisence is only valid for 3 months. I'm not sure but will find out if it means 3 months out of the UK or 3 months in any other given country!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast