GYMS and working out in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
ok so I was wondering if any one knew the good gyms in Juan Dolio bayahibe lasterranas and santo domingo are there local gyms ? or can we sneek in to resorts and use there gyms ? has any one done this ? or is it worth to pay a small surcharge ?? What's the work out scene like there ?

I guess we are not looking for much just a tread mill and a benchpress would do

me and girlfriend will be around these areas for the next 5 months, all though we will be partying for the entirety we work out about 4 times a week back home and were not looking to break the routine so feedback would be helpfull

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
oh and off topic 'girls looking to get a second stage wash on her hair as she is going blond and was wondering if there were any 'really good' salons in Santo Domingo

Dubby

Mar 30, 2004
In La Romana there is a really good gym called Fred?s Fitness. It is located right
next to the ?market?Just up the street from the Higuey bus station. It has
tonnes of equipment, weights, aerobics....

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
alrite cool ..so if we in an area with no gym can we use resort gyms ??
like even if you don't stay in the resort ?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
alrite cool ..so if we in an area with no gym can we use resort gyms ??
like even if you don't stay in the resort ?

Very likely you can use the gym by paying a fee. I use the Sosua Bay Hotel gym as a fee paying member. They also have a daily and weekly charge. Likely many other resort gyms do the same.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't take the chance. Most gyms, even in resorts, have employees on duty. I know you would be nailed immediately at the gym I go to. Even the r esort guests with proper wrist band have to sign in the first time they go.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Your best bet is to look for something nearby to where you are going to stay. Don't try to get in any without paying as you are asking for trouble.

You ought to consider P90x. You can get all of the workout info free on the web and Youtube and all you need is a pullup bar (bring one in your luggage) and barbells - which can be bought here for a decent price.

Believe it or not you can get a great workout, aerobic too. I should know I've doing it and have lost an inch on my waist. I only do it 4 times a week instead of the six times they recommend. Also, I have been going to the gym for 23 years and take weight lifting seriously. I even used to bench more than twice my weight.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
There is a very good gym in Las Terrenas, so much equipment that a lot of it looked quite intimidating. Called Virgen (but I don't think you have to be one) in Calle Duarte (main street) almost opposite the turn off for Coson and Playa Bonita. I don't know how much for short term, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.