Tips for vehicle buyers?

timsta21

Feb 17, 2010
I am looking to buy a vehicle here and would love to hear some of the tips that people have in this area. I would also love to know of some great places to buy vehicles. Can anyone help?

carib

Jul 16, 2002
beware

There are junks for sale for big bucks here...... PM me
otherwise only buy new
carib

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Don't buy private (unless the person is a reliable friend) and get solid warranty.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
warranty

Solid warranty
" Don't buy dealer"
Sorry I should ask "what counrty are you in?"
Really ?
Carib

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
I have had very bad experiences buying private, my knowledge of cars isn't sufficient to beable to check it out. I would never do so again.
I think it is obvious what country everyone who has responded to this thread is in, or is it not to you, really??

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i went to some dealers and figured out what i wanted, including the year and model.

then i paid a dominican friend to research availability across the island. we had a bunch of options.

we found the cheapest one closest to where i lived and bought it. its been fine (nissan murano)

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I Import cars to the DR and know many Dominicans in the auto business. You would not believe some of the crap that is shipped in to the country. Many salvage vehicles, flood, miles turned back etc.. just make sure you check the car fax if the car is imported from the states, and have a qualified mechanic check it out before you buy anything.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
YES check car fax. We "bought" and returned two vehicles from "reputable" dealers in Mocca and car fax had the following:

one-junk title in the US, as was in a major accident and could never be titled again in the US

two - odometer turned back 100,000 (not a typo) miles.

So be very careful on used cars. The DR is a dumping ground for junk vehicles from the US.

We ended up buying new.

Bob K

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Beware of right hand drive vehicles that have been converted, you will get lots of electrical problems where they stretch the wiring loom. It's more common here than you would imagine! OP where abouts are you?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Beware: Most used car dealers are what could loosely be called "Brokers" - many times they DON'T own what they're "selling", effectively making you buy from private, a private you don't know.
Other used car dealers sell gray market imports. Many of the imported vehicles are NOT designed for this market/region/use-abuse and may have issues with the local low grade fuels, parts hard for hard to find and/or expensive and even no local tech knowledgeable. Local "official" Toyota dealers warn about the fact that they may NOT have the technology (computers/programs/specialty tools) to properly service some vehicles.

My recommendation is, if the buyer can afford, to buy new at a local official dealer (taking advantage of real warranty and a vehicle likely to have been made for the local market). Or an almost new same local market vehicle.
There are also some traditional import which have ruled the market and performed well. In other words, stay away from "exotics".

Finally, don't try to take short cuts in the legal process, EVEN or especially when the seller suggests for you to. Keep in mind, you are a foreigner in a legally very complicated thing, so, don't do anything you wouldn't do in you own country.

... J-D.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I absolutely agree on the check everything on CarFax. Last time I did I find 9 cars out of 11 with rolled back odometers, junk title, theft recovery, major accidents in history.

May I ask what kind of car are you looking for?
I know some 0 mile new Honda Fit for under US$ 15,000.

The Hun

Reactions: SantiagoDR

timsta21

Feb 17, 2010
What I'm looking for...

My wife and I live on a limited budget here in the D.R., so I am looking for a car between $280,000 and $320,000. I would like a jeepeta but a car would be fine as long as it checked out. I almost bought an Xterra last week, seemed like a great buy but according to the car fax report it had been rolled back by around 100,000 miles, yes one hundred thousand miles...

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Unfortunately it's very common. They do buy 3-5 years old vehicles with very high mileage - which worth way below the average price in the US because banks won't finance cars with high mileage. Keep checking them on CarFax.
I have seen an ad today for something that you are looking for. Check your PM. And check the car on CF also.

The Hun

rescatara

Apr 24, 2009
best thing to do...buying used? pay for inspection, and not from a mechanic known to the seller...
thats a Dominican trick...seller pays inspecting garage for favorable report.....

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Excellent point JD. In fact, take a very close looks at the warranty given here. It may include wording that you must return to the dealer for all oil changes and other required service. If you purchase a Toyota in Santo Domingo and live in Sosua, how likely are you to have a valid warranty with such requirements?

My main reason for mentioning Toyota in the first place is that there is normally a supply of parts available locally for Toyota vehicles and most mechanics are familiar with working on them.
Yes, "local" warranty depends on you bringing your vehicle in for SCHEDULED maintenance AT the dealership. Unfair? Well, we know our locals and their tendency to try to make excuses have the value of acts. You can't give warranty on a vehicle which will get it's oil change only "manana". The service at Delta is very good. But yes, it may be a little more expensive that the back yard guy who was going to do it... manana.

Coming from Puerto Plata, I purchased my current Hilux at Delta in Santo Domingo. However, Delta in Santiago does all the servicing and is good for the warranty work. That's the day we pick up our bulk stuff at PriceSmart and some of the "finer" items at Nacional... a day out in the city.

Btw. the Hilux (pickup truck) is a typical example of a vehicle which, in the version sold here in the DR, is made for markets like Latin and South America, Asia, Australia BUT NOT the US. It is also available, in a more refined version, in France and Britain. The version sold here, Africa and Asia, is very simple, content with a basic quality diesel fuel and can take the road abuse. Again, many of the vehicles sold in the US may not have been designed for.

US car warranties are only good in the US. No exceptions. Some warranties are even lost once the vehicle has been exported.

CarFax: CarFax is good, but only for vehicles which have been registered (driven) in the US and their history stops when they leave the country.

... J-D.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know the OP very, very well. A fine couple. If anyone can steer them to a good vehicle that fits their budget they'd be most grateful...:)