its Tax time ... *groan*

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
Do you all claim "married" and then have your spouse's income as zero. He is not here in Canada yet, so I am unsure of how to do this.

Can you post what you have done in the past.

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
I think if he is working you will need a special form to fill out to report his income. I *think*. They will count that towards your income as a couple. If he's not working then I would file as married and report the income as zero. I'm sure someone else will have better advice though...

ETA: I think it's a world income form or something of that nature. I had to report my income when I lived outside of Canada but thankfully the exchange was in my favour.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I think you put married and $0 income because nothing your husband made in 2009 is taxable in Canada.

If you put anything other than $0 wouldn't that affect your tax bracket if you filed a combined return? Wouldn't you end up paying tax on Dominican income that was already taxed there?

BTW...I might sound like I know what I am talking about but really don't have a clue about tax preparation...just a guess and an opinion :)

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
no - you have to put his actual income from his country - theyy have no way to verify but you have to put it in as it impacts your spousal deduction - you can't take the spousal deduction if he's not living with you unless you send money - then you have to paper file and provide the receipts of the transfers, if you don't support him - you don't get the spousal claim. you would put his income in Canadian dollars.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Sweetkiwi - the form you're referencing is for Canadian residents as all canadian's are taxed on their world wide income - not just canadian.
this wouldn't apply to twillis as her husband is not a Canadian resident for tax purposes.
she only needs to enter information to verify eligibility for the spousal deduction - which you get if you're the primary income earner - so your spouse has little or no income.. it is reduced by the income they do earn. You get this claim if your husband has little to no income even if he is not a resident of canada - but to get it you must prove that you indeed provided support during the year... you will have to include your marriage certificate the first time you make this claim if you're eligible as he doesn't have a social insurance number for them to verify - that is the other reason you will have to paper file - you can't efile without a SIN.
I'm a chartered accountant ... so I'm telling you facts for how you go about this.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
as another option - you can efile as single and then amend your return after he is here - but its easier just to paper file - you wait longer for a refund if you get one - but then everything is verified.