Is Magicjack call quality really that good?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I was thinking of purchasing a magicjack for my girlfriend in Santiago, and from another recent post made here, apparently the call quality is really good.

I did call a store in Santiago last week that uses Magicjack and the call quality was horrible. I had to call them at their 809 number because the call was too choppy. I was calling from Puerto Rico.

Why would the call quality in this case be so horrible? I called about five times, and the quality never improved.

Thanks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My daughter just got one at her home in NJ and it works great. Since the call is internet based, it probably depends upon the internet speed/connection of the person with the MagicJack. In DR that can fluctuate dramatically.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
here is the real deal.
Dominicans know little about internet or PC so you can forget about getting good sound quality from dominicans.
This is what you need to do:
get a faster speed internet dsl codetel (nothing else). My speed = 768 download / 128k upload. make sure the internet is not shared when someone is using magicjack. This means if someone is download music or looking at heavy webpages or watching youtube videos (streaming) the bandwidth will just not be enough for magicjack to function properly on the pc. Then you have people with music download programs which turn on when windows start and start to upload data to someone on some other end. This eats up their upload bandwidth and, in result, you will hear choppy sound. So if you are are not careful your magicjack will not function right. My magicjack works flawlessly anywhere in the world. want to try calling me? send me PM and i will give you my number, I am in SD.
AZB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
So do you really need to carry around a regular phone to connect to it if you wish to get on to travel or have you seen it used with the regular computer mic and speakers or at least with a headset.

It sounds interesting, but I'm not about to carry around a regular phone as well. I didn't see anywhere where you could connect a headset.

OK...never mind. Did a google search and found this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4547337_magic-jack-use-computers-headset.html

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2006
My MJ works perfectly using Claro/Codetel 512 DSL service. As AZB wrote; make sure that there's no other open programs taking up bandwidth.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Go to walmart and get this super light small corded phone, it weighs about like cotton ball but works flawlessly. I have seen MJ work on 200 kbps download perfectly but like I said, shut everything off and do not have this internet shared via wifi with other pcs. The op said he will get it for his dominican girlfriend (am I correct on that?), knowing this, I bet her pc is already full of all sorts of spywares, trojen viruses and music download programs (example: limewire etc). No wonder they have so much problems with MJ.
AZB

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
MJ can also be used with a headset plugged into your computer. That's what I carry in my laptop bag.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Is Magicjack call quality really that good?

Yes it is! - Much better quality then Skype.

Like others have said, you need to be sure you have the bandwidth.
I have the 768 download / 128k upload just like AZB has.

I have my security cameras connected to the Internet using two separate web broadcasting systems and usually running Trillian which keeps me signed in and monitoring 7 E-Mail accounts and associated IM's from Yahoo. MSN/Hotmail and AOL. Plus running Firefox at the same time along with Anti-virus.

MagicJack works great.

NOTE:

My Skype is also running full time.
I have even tested calling from my Skype to the MagicJack with no problems.

Don