Citizenship for woman married to Dominicano

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
I am a US citizen and married to my Dominican citizen husband. We are in the process of immigration and we have our interview date to bring him to the US. I know that because I married him by law I am entitled to Dominican citizenship but I don't know how to go about doing that.

Also do I have to live there in order to do it. One day in the future we wish to retire there which I think will be easier if I am a citizen, however I don't have plans to live there permanently any time soon. Is this possible? If it is what do you think the costs will be utilizing an attorney? Thanks!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You do not need to be a citizen to retire here. Once you have been married 6 months you can apply for citizenship - but you have to use a lawyer and when I last checked it was pretty expensive. The only advantage it will give you is you can have a dominican passport (yippee!!), you can vote, and you can hold political office - but not be president.

The main disadvantage is that when you are here, you could have no help from the US embassy as diplomatic protocol dictates that the country where you are residing (if you have dual citizenship) takes precedence.

In my opinion I would not bother, and if you do decide to move here, just then become a resident.

matilda

Reactions: AlterEgo

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Really?

I was thinking since it is such a long process to become a resident and since I already have access to citizensip I thought it would be easier.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I was thinking since it is such a long process to become a resident and since I already have access to citizensip I thought it would be easier.

longer process, and much more difficult and much more expensive

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
okay

longer process, and much more difficult and much more expensive

Thank you for telling me I was thinking that if it was something I could start now it would be better because residency you can't get until you live there. But it does not sound like it is worth it thank you again for the explanation.