The tourist Visa Process for the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kimberlyindr

Hello Everyone,

Can someone please shed some light on the tourist visa process in DR?

Do they give you a visa for 90 days? And if so, what happens if you overstay your visa? Is there a penalty for this?

Also, if you have to leave the country every 90 days, where is the best place to go?

Thank you in advance,

Kimberly

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
You get 30 days and then there is an overstay charge (tax) on a rising scale.

From 30 days to 3 months RD $800.00
From 3 months to 9 months RD $1,000.00
From 9 months to 1 year RD $2,500.00
From 1 year to 1 year & 6 months RD $4,000.00
From 1 year & 6 months to 2 years RD $5,000.00
From 2 years to 2 years & 6 months RD $6,500.00
From 2 years & 6 months to 3 years RD $9,000.00
From 3 years to 5 years RD $14,000.00
From 5 years onwards RD $17,000.00

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
pay when you leave

and have exact change. They check your passport for date of entry and then calculate time in the country, you then proceed to an office, pay the fine and go on your merry way! Not a big deal. Although they keep asking why I don't get my residency :) I've been doing this for about 2 yrs Now that I've decided to stay and make a go of it in business, it's time to get residency!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Black Dog and ybonabeach the overstay tax is not for a Tourist Visa but for a Tourist Card which is a totally different animal. A Tourist Card is a fairly routine, low level process while a Tourist Visa must be applied for and approved in advance of the travel.

kimberlyindr which country are you from as the requirement for a Tourist Visa or the ability to use a Tourist Cared depends on this answer?

Gregg

bill p

Aug 18, 2003
and have exact change. They check your passport for date of entry and then calculate time in the country, you then proceed to an office, pay the fine and go on your merry way! Not a big deal. Although they keep asking why I don't get my residency :) I've been doing this for about 2 yrs Now that I've decided to stay and make a go of it in business, it's time to get residency!

they dont allways send you to an office if you have to pay, they just take your money and nobody knows anything. just as an example if you have to pay 1500 pesos for your over stay , just have 500 pesos in your passport and on your way you go.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
they dont allways send you to an office if you have to pay, they just take your money and nobody knows anything. just as an example if you have to pay 1500 pesos for your over stay , just have 500 pesos in your passport and on your way you go.

And then you wonder why we have a corruption problem here?
If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem.
If you overstayed then pay the correct amount at the correct place, otherwise when your home don't complain about people from other countries being illegal, or overstaying their visa's.

Reactions: XXKWISIT

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Black Dog and ybonabeach the overstay tax is not for a Tourist Visa but for a Tourist Card which is a totally different animal. A Tourist Card is a fairly routine, low level process while a Tourist Visa must be applied for and approved in advance of the travel.

kimberlyindr which country are you from as the requirement for a Tourist Visa or the ability to use a Tourist Cared depends on this answer?

Gregg

Opps you're right. I read Tourist Visa and thought "Card". Me bad! Ignore my statement.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
My appologies also, a little too keen to help! Although I'm not sure if the OP wasn't thinking 'card' so perhaps a clarrification would help us give the correct answer. Good intervention Fireguy!!!!

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
And then you wonder why we have a corruption problem here?
If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem.
If you overstayed then pay the correct amount at the correct place, otherwise when your home don't complain about people from other countries being illegal, or overstaying their visa's.

Well, pay the correct amount at the correct place does not mean that the money end up at the CORRECT place, well I am pretty sure it doesn?t. Entonces, I go as cheap as possible also. Last time I said I only had this money (I was short 1500 or something), I had the money needed but in another pocket. Anyway, they asked me if I needed a receipt, I said no. Feliz viaje. Well ok I am bad, but I have kind of given up. Just be happy, corruption will never disappear here and then explain to me how it will, when they for instance pay the police 200-300 US a month... Hey, with that salary I would be the definition of corrupt.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Well, pay the correct amount at the correct place does not mean that the money end up at the CORRECT place, well I am pretty sure it doesn?t. Entonces, I go as cheap as possible also. Last time I said I only had this money (I was short 1500 or something), I had the money needed but in another pocket. Anyway, they asked me if I needed a receipt, I said no. Feliz viaje. Well ok I am bad, but I have kind of given up. Just be happy, corruption will never disappear here and then explain to me how it will, when they for instance pay the police 200-300 US a month... Hey, with that salary I would be the definition of corrupt.

so you were not short, you just did not want to pay! and if paid in the correct area, it's probably going to the correct place.

your still part of the problem, and please don't bitch when you get home about how corrupt the immigrants are!

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
I have to agree!

so you were not short, you just did not want to pay! and if paid in the correct area, it's probably going to the correct place.

your still part of the problem, and please don't bitch when you get home about how corrupt the immigrants are!

I agree with you bienamor. As much as I hate having to pay, I have stayed over the 30 day limit a few times and I had to pay. I would expect immigrants to follow the rules while in Canada, so I follow the rules of the Country that I am visiting.

K

kimberlyindr

Following up

Guys,

Thank you all very much for the feedback.

Now, I have a question:

what happens if you don't leave? how will they know if you have overstayed?

Regards,

Kimberly

K

kimberlyindr

Following up

Hi Guys,

Also, a last question:

coming from the U.S, is it best to leave every 30 days where? If I don't want to go to the U.S, what other options do I have?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Haiti, Havana, Panama, Caracas, St Martin, Turks & Caicos, Paris, Madrid, London, Dusseldorf just to name a few, the world is your oyster...

Last edited:
K

kimberlyindr

Following up

Hi there Everyone,

I have another question:

do you have to leave the country every 30 days with a tourist card, or can you pay to extend your stay?

If so, how much does that cost?

Also, for every day walking around, do you have to carry around that tourist card or is a state I.D sufficient for identification purposes?

Regards,

Kimberly

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
No you don't have to leave, you can either go to Migracion & extend your tourist card or you can pay the fees Black Dog posted on the first page of this thread. They know when you have overstayed by checking the date stamp in your passport for when you arrived and comparing that date with the date on which you are leaving. Being fiendishly clever :) they do this when you present your passport on leaving. I doubt you'll ever get asked for your tourist card just walking around. It's a good idea to have ID on you, but that can be a copy of your passport ID page (never the original). If you decide to live here & go for cedula and residencia, the cedula acts as your ID card.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
No you don't have to leave, you can either go to Migracion & extend your tourist card or you can pay the fees Black Dog posted on the first page of this thread. They know when you have overstayed by checking the date stamp in your passport for when you arrived and comparing that date with the date on which you are leaving. Being fiendishly clever :) they do this when you present your passport on leaving. I doubt you'll ever get asked for your tourist card just walking around. It's a good idea to have ID on you, but that can be a copy of your passport ID page (never the original). If you decide to live here & go for cedula and residencia, the cedula acts as your ID card.

This assumes she is from a country which is eligible to enter with a Tourist Card. The original question is about a Tourist Visa and the OP when asked which country are you from as the requirement for a Tourist Visa or the ability to use a Tourist Cared depends on this answer" the OP has not yet responded and she appears to be posting from a country which may require a Tourist Visa.

Until the question is answered any answer provided is speculative.

Gregg

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This assumes she is from a country which is eligible to enter with a Tourist Card. The original question is about a Tourist Visa and the OP when asked which country are you from as the requirement for a Tourist Visa or the ability to use a Tourist Cared depends on this answer" the OP has not yet responded and she appears to be posting from a country which may require a Tourist Visa.

Until the question is answered any answer provided is speculative.

Gregg

It's a good thing Big Brother is watching IP addresses, the WWW is a much safer place! I sometimes wish it was 1985 again and we used punch cards to run useless programs for a grade.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Hi Guys,

Also, a last question:

coming from the U.S, is it best to leave every 30 days where? If I don't want to go to the U.S, what other options do I have?

What seems to be the confusion here, just stay as long as you want and pay the overstay fine, the real only issue is a driver's license and being insured, otherwise you have nothing to worry about.

I am sure some know it all is going to correct me that does not live in DR.

***NOTE I do not live in DR but overstay frequently!

Status
Not open for further replies.