restaurant review >??

rescatara

Apr 24, 2009
Mercadito Los Pinos....
2 blocks east of the red cross in Santiago on the North side of the street.
You would never stop at this place as it is a standing restaurant. It was full of clients who all seemed to know each other and where eating and drinking w,good spirits...
First i had a NiNoEnvuelto.. wow... first bite and it reminded me of the cabbage rolls my mother made. a bit different but still very good.
Second was a Quipe. Now i have had them before and not a favorite of mine. It was reccomended so i had one.. good. much better than i have had before. Two stars or two beers...
The ninos are definately worth having in the fridge.
I did not pay so i do not know the cost but inexpensive...

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
OK, I went to Maxs Deliosos on the Calle Del Sol ancillary road west of the monument. Hmmm, ambience is like outdoor sports bar. They are built on an embankment over the housing development below but didnt use the property right so you basically have a view of a dump with foliage. Cinderblock, old bicycles and palm trees. As though Fat Albert and Cosby Kids were in Puerto Rico and not North Philly.

But more over to the food: I had posted here before asking if anyone had knowledge of a Taco Bell in the area. Now I state the disclaimer that Taco Bell is not the pinnacle of Mexican food but it serves as a basic template for our discussion.
I and my date had ordered Tacos de Pollo and A Burrito de Pollo. Now traditionally a taco and burrito is prepared as such(as I have eaten many): corn shell or tortilla, shredded lettuce, diced tomates, shredded cheese-American and Monterey, meat sauce, and ground meat, and depending on the place, jalapenos, guacamole, sour cream, hot sauce, etc. And for the burrito they might stuff it with refried beans or black beans and rice, or dice chicken breast, etc. At Max's you get, I guess, a corn shell, stuffed with boiled cabbage(ie. StPaddy's Day) with tasteless tomato sauce and melted cheese AND maybe ground meat? Who the hell knows, I couldnt get past the burrito stuffed with boiled cabbage, nor the taco with the cabbage innards. Surprisingly it had no taste and I m grateful. Because the only thing ruminating in my mouth after that was the taste of Pepsi Cola.
Was it expensive? No, like 440pesos
Was it good? No.
Do I recommend it? No, well maybe if you only want to use the bathroom...

May 12, 2005
Max Delicias is good. I used to eat lunch there everyday. It was always crowded and the food I got was always good. Maybe the tacos aren't their best dish.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Mexican tacos?

I eat at Max's weekly and have never had a bad meal as you had, but then again i know better then to order cheap mexican food in the Dominican Repubublic. I have had carne salada, chicken, pork etc. and have always enjoyed the food for the cost. The looks of the place is decent and is not as bad as you make it sound Racerx.. But i guess you and your romantic date were dissapointed in that elegent 400 peso meal. I'ts far from a classy place, but usually good food for the money..
What time were you in there Racer? I think i saw you there..

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I was there Sunday night Feb 14, Valentines Day.
Yea, well you may be right about ordering Mexican here. I wouldnt order Italian neither so it was my fault but I wanted to try something besides soft chicken breast and hard steak, so who knew?

Static

Sep 18, 2007
Colombian Restaurant - Rancho Alegre

I don't think many peole know about this little cool (Campestre) hide-away Colombian restaurant in Santiago (gurabo). We were three couples (2 dominican's and 1 Colombian) on Harley's. Upon arriving we loved having the security/safety (away from the road parking -inside the Ranch). The layback Outdoor ambience made this hangout very refreshing. They have awesome small Empanadas, and the Churrasco and bandeja paisa was just right.
Lets not mention the 2 bottles of fire water "Aguardiente" with lemon and coconut bits, that had us swinging and relaxing on their Colombian Hammocks (much more comfortable than the string ones). We got there for lunch and ended up staying for cool videos, karaoke(disaster on my end) and a little salsa dancing on their outdoor stage. Over all, super nice time in a very friendly, safe, clean fun and family ambiance outdoors. Not to mention the great host/owner Edgar who made us feel like family; and had us rolling with laughter! This country hangout is a great find! location: Santiago, Gurabo (La Ermita) calle 10#20 (809)736-3144/809-216-6004;)