Homicide rates worldwide - this does not seem right

May 29, 2006
Murder is one of the leading causes of death for American blacks and there are far more guns in the US. Almost as many blacks are murdered in the US as whites although they are less than 15% of the population. About 2/3rds of the murders were commited with firearms regardless of area or race.

Murder - Crime in the United States 2004

Nowadays, even after years of mostly falling or flat crime rates, black men still die from homicide at extraordinary rates. Black death rates from homicide in 2002 were almost six times that of whites. Black men 15 to 24 years old are most vulnerable -- some 85 per 100,000 died in 2004 from homicide, compared to a national average of six per 100,000.

Black murder rate improving - LA Observed

What is even more shocking is the murder rate in the US has gone down dramatically since the 70s and 80s.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I found this online today and was looking at the relative homicide rates in DR as compared to Haiti, USA, etc. and it just doesn't seem right to me.

According to this for example, Haiti is safer than the US. Is this even possible?

Current Worldwide Homicide/Murder Rates

If you watch US local news there are shootings every day - bloody tragic.
In Haiti you hear about a couple every other week. I kind of beleive this statistic as much as I beleive any statistic. Since 2006 Haiti has become quite calm.

The other issue is that people gunned down by the police in the D.R. and Haiti are probably not counted as murder victims when sometimes they most certainly should be!

Remember, as Vic reeves pointed out, 87.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
So according to this a person could reduce their statistical chance of being murdered by 65% just by moving from the DR to the US, - or by moving to Haiti.

DR to US comparison I get. but DR - Haiti? That's the part I am struggling with.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
So according to this a person could reduce their statistical chance of being murdered by 65% just by moving from the DR to the US, - or by moving to Haiti.

DR to US comparison I get. but DR - Haiti? That's the part I am struggling with.

Most people would struggle with it.
That is what you see on the T.V.
Haiti = Danger.
Maybe, just maybe it ain't so??

The thing to do is see for yourself one day.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Haiti has one of the lowest rates in the region.

The 2004 numbers in the above chart was the year of the "rebels" attacking and Aristide followers fighting back.

Check the other years and you will see.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006

If Haiti has no infrastructure to report crimes, as well as they may, there crime rate will be statistically low.