nightlife in Dominican Republic

K

kimberlyindr

Hello everyone,

Can someone out there shed light on the nightlife in DR?

Is it as great as my imagination? My cousin lives in Miami, and she said the nightlife there has gone pure ghetto.

How is DR? Where are the good clubs? Is it safe to go out with the locals?

Regards,

Kimberly

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hello everyone,

Is it as great as my imagination? My cousin lives in Miami, and she said the nightlife there has gone pure ghetto.

Regards,

PC

Kimberly

Hi Kim,

If you want to get away from the ghetto scene you should come to Sosua and meet some really Hot Gringos.

We have great Clubs and are the safest of all locals.

Regards,

May 29, 2006
Dominican night life is great esp when you can see a top ten band play for about $10 and they go until 3 or 4 in the morning(they may start at 11). Many of the concerts take place in car wash stands. Sounds crazy, but it works. They have a big dance floor, a stage and plenty of tables and a cheap bar. When it's all over, they can just hose down the floor and run a day business to pay the rent until the next concert. The biggest downside is the sound system often sucks from the refridgerator sized speakers being cranked up to 11.

One of my favorite videos of city life in the DR from a city disco:

YouTube - Antony Santos - Me Voy A Morir

Minnesota Pat

Jun 26, 2009
Yeah, right go to Sosua and get rolled by the sluts, or the pimps.
I am in Santo Domingo right now. The person that sent this has some type of financial interest, otherwise the person would not make such a ridiculous statement.
Ever since Jet Blue started flying to R D Sosua is a buyer beware place.

There is ample female companionship available for a fee everywhere on the island.
Music is a challenge though, other than the idiots who load the vehicle up with those refer sized speakers.

Mar 1, 2009
I wouldn't categorize all nightlife in DR as Ghetto. What do you mean by ghetto? There are upscale venues and lower end places that fit everybody's whim, wishes and cravings, I think. If you go to centro acropolis you have 'Dock' there with good ambiance, service and decent prices and then I went to a night club called VIE in la capital somewhere that was almost an exact replica of the nightclubs I worked at in South Beach. Get down here and experience it yourself. You will come away with your own opinion, you will be pleasantly surprised. Never been to Sosua.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Safe to party with locals

Hello everyone,

Regards,

Kimberly

Hi Kimberly, I went to Puerto Plata in January and was invited out to some clubs by the staff of my resort as well as the staff of the catamaran tour we took. I felt totally safe. If you don't feel confident going out of the tourist area, there are clubs within the hotel complexes that are mostly filled with fellow tourists and a limited amount of locals (usally resort workers) The drinks are more expensive but they are totally safe. You just have to be wise about who you choose to go out with. My daughter and I were together and the guys we went with were gentlemen.