Do we have a dog problem in the DR?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Of course we do.

Why do we have a dog problem? We have a dog problem because their natural instinct induces them to breed ? bitches come into season and the male dogs come around in their droves and mate with them and the result is that they have puppies.

How simple is that in doggy terms?

Next generation, albeit a few months later do it again and again and again and again.

It?s what animals do ? they don?t mean any harm and they don?t know any better.

We, as humans can do something to help the stemming of this repetition ? we have the ability to help in many ways. If you are an animal lover, please read this other thread which has incensed me about people who think they know the DR (a Third World country) in any shape or form.

Please look here http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/100880-night-time-dog-packs.html

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Of course we do.

Why do we have a dog problem? We have a dog problem because their natural instinct induces them to breed – bitches come into season and the male dogs come around in their droves and mate with them and the result is that they have puppies.

How simple is that in doggy terms?

Next generation, albeit a few months later do it again and again and again and again.

It’s what animals do – they don’t mean any harm and they don’t know any better.

We, as humans can do something to help the stemming of this repetition – we have the ability to help in many ways. If you are an animal lover, please read this other thread which has incensed me about people who think they know the DR (a Third World country) in any shape or form.

Please look here http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/100880-night-time-dog-packs.html

I miss Lassie..

YouTube - Lassie - Opening

When life was uncomplicated!

Feb 7, 2007
When our dog bitch was in heat these days, we had a doggie camp stationed 24/7 in front of our front gate for about a week ... it looks like it's over for now, because no troops of viralatas around ... can have a complete full night sleep now ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The doggy over-population problem is being taken care of the dominican way. I see dozens of dogs get killed everyday on the main highway from santiago to santo domingo. Imagine the rest of the streets and highways in this country. Then you have dominican butchers being caught every once in a while for selling dog meat as goat meat. Who knows how many times we have eaten the man's best friend for lunch (yukk).
The stray dogs were here before we have arrived in this country and will be here when we are gone.
have you all seen how they take care of the stay dog problems in USA? Do a search on google video to see it with your own eyes. They round them up and then gas them or poison them to death.
Please forget about the stray dogs and try to save the humans who are starving all over the world or are being killed in hundreds in the name of saving democracy; wars that you people support and fund with your taxes.
AZB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Reminds me of when I was a kid, our bitch would come in heat and the old fellow next door (14 or 15 year old spaniel cross) would creak over to our house and park on the porch. It usually took him about 2 hours to make it up five stairs. The mind was willing but the body was too old. We would feed him, put a blanket over him, and scare all the other dogs off with slingshots....etc. After her heat went down off he would go back home. We got her fixed after her second set of pups. She was a beautiful purebread red cheaspeake retriever and her offspring were excellent dogs. The cops used to gather up the strays about once a year and take them to the garbage dump and shoot them. Spading and castration is much more humane.

Grandma Jen

Jan 16, 2008
Doggies

If you are thinking of letting your bitch have puppies - please think again!

There are so many wonderful Dominican dogs that need a home - they are fantastic guard dogs and are very territorial once they have a loving home and family to protect.

Please pay a visit to Judy's if you need a dog

Thanks

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
I was never a huge dog lover before moving to the Dominican Republic. I liked dogs and would never harm them...but I never KNEW the kind of joy they bring you. I finally "let" my husband have his first dog seven years ago. Fast forward 7 years, 15 Dominican strays later, and one very happy household. To not experience the joy of befriending a dominican dog.....to never know how loving, kind, protective he or she can be would be a shame. Many will risk their lives for you and will protect you. Being a stray dog is the card in life they were dealt with....just like we as humans are dealt out of the same deck of cards. The luck of the draw is really all it is.

Instead of thinking horrible thought or being mean to the strays, go out of your "comfort zone". Go up to a stray....very carefully and openly. Give it a bit of food. Speak kindly to it....any language is fine-it is the way you say it is what matters. My husband and I work with many, many dogs in Sousa getting them healthy and searching out new ones to be brought in when we have spay&neuter clinics. You may have seen us as you are perched upon your bar stool day after day as we pass by on our mission to help animals in need. We are out helping almost daily, giving medicine, teaching dominicans about handle pets etc. They just have to be shown a few basic pet handling skills and are proud to learn. Spaying and neutering your pet as well as street animals is so important. The dogs breed like crazy here. Poor puppies are everywhere. We, a small group of loving devoted people operating out of AAAS Judy's Pet Lodge are trying to help the strays and control the animal population humanely. Fixing animals is key, but, we need more volunteers to make this possible. Then maybe...possibly....hopefully every dominican dog can have a life they deserve like "Lassie" in the youtube video. What a nice thought....I am doing everything possible to make that a reality.

Just a few things for you to think about tonight.

Thank you,

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
number one rule - dont buy from people selling on the roadside - it only encourages them to breed more puppies, you are doing no-one a favour

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I have always loved dogs prior to moving here. Now after being awakened daily at 5 a.m to the sweet sounds of small dog screeching has tainted of view somewhat.

Nobody seems to care about disturbing thy neighbour in these parts