Must get to juan dolio!!!

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
okay I need help ...YES I have read all prior threads! BUT I have to get to juan dolio my plane arives in punta cana at 4 or 5 pm and I MUST get to juan dolio THAT EVENING OMG OMG but ...get this I'm not a shmuck and don't want to pay 100 dollars US for a cab ....so how can I do it on the CHEAP DR1 HELP ME:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If you can get a cab for 100US$ you are doing well - let me know the cabbie as I will use him myself!!
It is a long way from PUJ to Juan Dolio.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Local guaguas might get you there and will certainly be cheap. You can get one to Ver?n from the main road outside the airport, then Higuey, then on to La Romana, San Pedro and JD. Knowledge of Spanish and small denomination peso notes are essential.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
When you get off plane go to each tour operator and ask if anyone has a bus or taxi going to juan Dolio. if yes, jump in that - you may have to pay something but not 100 US$. If not juan Dolio then some are sure to be going to Bayahibe which is half way.

matilda

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
OKAY what exactly is a gua gua is it simply a bus with a fancy name or is it a form ot tuk tuk ?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
What were you thinking?

You scheduled yourself on a flight which arrives late in the afternoon, when you ABSOLUTELY MUST be somewhere 3 hours drive away that night. You MUST get there, but you don't want to spend the $$ for a taxi.

Take solace in the fact that you are about the hundredth person to ask this same question on this forum in the last few years, but all that means is there are a lot of short-sighted people flying into PUJ these days. I can only assume you flew there because the fare was less than flying into SDQ. Oh well..............."Penny wise, pound foolish."

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
ookay so lets establish this is it safe to travel after dark ? or are there bandits like in colombia ? I mean when do the gua guas stop running ? I heard they stop running at 4 ??

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
OKAY what exactly is a gua gua is it simply a bus with a fancy name or is it a form ot tuk tuk ?

A Gua-Gua is like a Tap-Tap is like a Dolmusch is like a Tuk-Tuk.
Basically a minibus or small coach.
On the south coast you always get your own seat and they are half decent. You do not have to hang out the door driving down the highway like on the North coast.

There is little or no regulation for these vehicles and what regulation there is is not enforced. Occasionally they have big crashes. Last week one driver had a heart attack and drove into the sea killing a dozen passengers. Last year one crashed on your very route and killed a whole bunch of Italian tourists, although this could have been a privately owned tour company vehicle - either way the drivers are insane. Seriously, these drivers are crazy. They pass on blind curves with overloaded vehicles.

I use them all the time but I would not take my baby daughter on them.

If you arrive at 5pm you might exit the airport at 6pm and be on your way at 6:30pm so you will be traveling in the dark. You will arrive in Juan Dolio around 10pm or later.

The worst aspect is sometimes you get Meringue blasted at full volume for the entire length of the journey. I like Meringue but after 4 hours on a distorting stereo system it can sap the will to live.

Take a regular taxi or have someone from DR1 pick you up in their private taxi - especially at that time of night.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
And.....what is so important in Juan Dolio at 10pm!!!! I live in Juan Dolio and at 10pm everything is shut!!

matilda

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
uuh the bars will be open to accomodate me ?? there is no night life I say what is this ? a mistake on my behalf ?

thanks

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
okay wow please tell me now or this all has to change is there any nightlife what so ever in juan dolio wow wow how much for a beer ?

pledge

Dec 30, 2009
listen bro I'm just trying to budget and if I can cut corners then damn it I will, never tread on any ones toes mind you ..but hey call me anal if you want I make the dollar go a long way ..does not mean I don't have alot to spend ..just means I like to crash in cheap cabana rooms and spent the rest of drink and other items ..good enough for me .... I'm just a backpacker so chill

Last edited: