Polio Outbreak?????

M

Mistie

Is there any need to get a needle before going to D.R. We have gone the last five years with no problems and now I just received a call that there is a polio outbreak and Department of Health is advising to get a needle two weeks before you go.

J

Judy

There have been a few reported cases of polio.

We got our shot before we went down. If you have previously been immunized, don't worry.

If you aren't sure, and your current doctor doesn't know, it is better to be on the safe side and get one.

We were adivsed by Health Canada to get the shot.

E

Eddy

Just another scare. Every year they find something to get prospective visitors to this island "concerned". I'm trying not to think that it's a conspiracy.

E

ECH, M.D.

You know Eddy, find I am inclined to agree with you on your conspiracy theory. Almost a year ago 12 to 15 cases of polio were reported in patients that were NEVER IMMUNIZED. I hardly consider this an epidemic. But more strangely, there are FAR more cases of Hepatitis A that the general public (and this board) seem to ignore and it can be just as deadly and like polio, there is NO treatment. And, there IS a preventive vaccine. I guess the reason is Hepatitis does not have the "sensationalism" in reporting that polio does???

M

Michele

My doctor told me I was overreacting. I had one 30 years ago and that will last me a lifetime. Going in 16 days and no shots here...

M

Mistie

Where abouts are you going in 16 days Michele? We leave in 18 days. Staying at the Fun Tropical and Playa Naco(5th time at Playa Naco. Thanks Tom.

S

Susanne

The reason that this has caused so much alarm is purely scientific and not particularly because of the potential danger, I think.

Doctors and scientist have been surprised to find - for the first time in decades - a WILD polio virus emerging in the Western hemisphere. It was thought to be totally eradicated, hence the surprise (and alarm).

Health authorities have taken this as a warning that vaccination programmes must be carried out - like they are in almost all Western countries - or the goal of totally eliminating polio will not be reached.

So, I doubt there is a conspiracy or anything remotely like it. Just a genuine surprise - which will always cause the media to become interested, whereas hep. A is so dreadfully common (unfortunately) that it is hardly ever mentioned.

Regards,
Susanne