Renewing Residency Before Expiration

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This has probably been answered before, but I can't find the thread. How far in front of the expiration date can you renew your residency?

I ask because my date is when I hope to be in the US visiting family and I do not want to pay tourist fees when I return because residency expired.

My cedula will be valid, but I know from experience that they want the residency card and check it for the expiration date even if your cedula is valid.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
This has probably been answered before, but I can't find the thread. How far in front of the expiration date can you renew your residency?

I ask because my date is when I hope to be in the US visiting family and I do not want to pay tourist fees when I return because residency expired.

My cedula will be valid, but I know from experience that they want the residency card and check it for the expiration date even if your cedula is valid.

We made a similar enquiry just the other day and were informed that it can be renewed up to one month in advance of the expiry date.

Reactions: Tamborista

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We made a similar enquiry just the other day and were informed that it can be renewed up to one month in advance of the expiry date.

Thanks. To be sure I understand your response, are you saying anytime during the 30 days prior to expiration?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Do remember that the "system" has "lost" many photos and you may need to take a trip to SD to obtain a new photo.

Bob K

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Do remember that the "system" has "lost" many photos and you may need to take a trip to SD to obtain a new photo.

Bob K

Thank you for that advice, Bob, but we do intend to take a trip to Sto. Domingo prior to expiry of our residencies anyway and will use the same lawyer as previously to handle the renewal + arrange new cedulas.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Bob K

Is there any way to determine if Santiago has your photo without going to the office there?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is there any way to determine if Santiago has your photo without going to the office there?

Ken, you posted the phone number in your helpful post when you renewed in 2008
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/79517-renewing-residency-santiago.html

but also see El Viejo's recent post 40 on that thread. Last time you renewed you obviously beat the photo meltdown, the rest of us didn't so a trip to SD was necessary. I'm not even certain that Santiago holds the photos - they might all be in SD.

Reactions: Keith R

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i renewed my residency more then 2 months prior to expiration (of course by mistake) and they happily took my money and renewed it.
AZB