Leonel & the Falkland Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Our President has gone down even further in my estimation, not only has he done very little to rid the country of bribery and corruption now he aligns himself with the drug producing countries of Latin America in voting for the Falklands (Malvinas) to be given to Argentina. The smell of oil money does funny things to some people. The last time Argentina tried to take the Falklands from Britain they got a well deserved bloody nose.

Sep 20, 2003
I disagree. The Falklands belong to England. The botox Evita of Argentina is stirring this up for domestic political reasons. The Generals tried this in 1982 and got bashed.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I always felt that the calling the Malvinas British was a bit if a stretch.

The Argentinians had a pop at them in the mid seventies. The British government of the time sent some ordnance down there quick smart and the 'Argies' soon changed their mind. Nobody got killed.
When the Argentinian "scrap metal merchants" originally invaded in 1982 Maggie could have done the same but elected to have a war instead. Interestingly enough Maggie was the most hated waxwork at Madame Tossaude's before the Falklands War and the most popular afterward.
Many people felt that the war was fought for the benefit if the Tory party at the time. There is nothing like a war to get the flags waving and pull a nation together.
Opinions differ.

Either way, could we not offer the Argentinians a deal and allow then some revenue from the oil?
Seems a bit churlish to keep it all for ourselves - look again at where the UK is and where the Malvinas are. Maybe they have a point?

That makes me a traitor, probably.

Oh by the way, Maradonna still deserves to be strung up for the hand ball - no dispute there!

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Can Leonel go and STAY over there...

I agree this is not going to happen specially if there's oil involved.

Sep 20, 2003
I wonder if this will be the next trend to hit Latin America: demanding territory back. What's next, Chavez demanding the "return"of Aruba?

I think countries like Chile are acting foolishly in supporting Argentine claims. This could open up a Pandora's Box. Chile should remember the claims on it's territory by one of its South American neighbors...

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The last time Argentina tried to take the Falklands from Britain they got a well deserved bloody nose.

And this is exactly what made me angry at the time.
The general Belgrano was blown up and 400 young men lost their lives.
The Sun newspaper's headline was 'Gotcha!'

A bloody nose???

1982 is when I started to lose faith in my country - which is a shame for a boy of 12. I got the **** kicked out of me for saying so at school in a debate at the time.

P.S.I agree with the military that even though the Belgrano was sailing away fron the exclusion zone, they would have come back and killed more of our guys if we had let them go. But we should not have been in the avoidable conflict to start with and we should certainly not gloat when we kill a bunch of young guys.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
And this is exactly what made me angry at the time.
The general Belgrano was blown up and 400 young men lost their lives.
The Sun newspaper's headline was 'Gotcha!'

A bloody nose???

1982 is when I started to lose faith in my country - which is a shame for a boy of 12. I got the **** kicked out of me for saying so st school in a debate at the time.

P.S.I agree with the military that even though the Belgrano was sailing away fron the exclusion zone, they would have come back and killed more of our guys if we had let them go. But we should not have been in the avoidable conflict to start with and we should certainly not gloat when we kill a bunch of young guys.

The Argentine government invaded the Falklands for domestic political reasons. The dead of the Belgrano are on the souls of the Argentine Junta who sent those men off to fight in an unprovoked war.

The UK was defending British territory and British subjects.

YouTube - Margaret Thatcher talking about sinking the Belgrano

Even the Argentine navy stated in the mid-90's that the Belgrano was a legitimate military target.

This attempted land grab is a pathetic attempt by a corrupt and inept South American government to divert attention from domestic problems.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Not really a topic for this board as it's never going to get a DR slant how ever hard we all try.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.