Branch of tree on neghbours roof

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
What?s the law here in the RD ? In the UK if and only if the neighbour has pointed out the potential danger of the tree branch and I have done nothing can I be held responsible. Otherwise it is considered "an act of god". With the violent sudden wind that we experienced here in LT yesterday that is exactly what happened.
I feel I can only express my sympathy and nothing more. What?s the law say ?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
A branch from my tree fell on my neighbour?s roof. He says it is my fault and my tree and wants compensation.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
i don't know the law....
but you will hve to live next to them for awhile
best to weigh the costs over the stress or find some equal footing where both can live with it :)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
What?s the law here in the RD ? In the UK if and only if the neighbour has pointed out the potential danger of the tree branch and I have done nothing can I be held responsible. Otherwise it is considered "an act of god". With the violent sudden wind that we experienced here in LT yesterday that is exactly what happened.
I feel I can only express my sympathy and nothing more. What?s the law say ?

I think in most states in the US you would be liable. Pay for the fix, but make sure everything is signed off and agreed to. As Hillbilly says lawyer up and hire the contractor your self don't let the neighbor be in charge.

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
Your tree your branch, I dont think iam sorry is going to cut it, Lawyer up or cut a deal its proberly cheaper.

Mar 2, 2008
As the others said, lawyer up, cut a deal, but you must understand that this has nothing to do with the law.

It has everything to do with cutting your losses, but pay pay you will.

Forget everything you might think you know about the law, and forget about "right and wrong". You will end up paying something even if you might think you are completely in the "right".

I can only surmise that you are a gringo. If you are, and if your neighbor is Dominican, you don't stand a snowball's chance in h*ll of coming out on top with this thing. Just suck it up and look for a sensible solution.

Try to keep the payment reasonable, but keep in mind that you will end up paying something, of that there is no question.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Why?

This situation seems to be turning into an "American" vs. "Dominican" thing. Why? In any of the 50 states, if a branch from a tree on your property fell into your neighbor's property and damaged something, YOU would have to pay. That's it, plain and simple!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
In the Dominican Republic, if a branch from a tree on your property falls into your neighbor's property and damages something, YOU have to pay (Article 1384-1 of the Civil Code).