Had to share

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have been checking peacecorpsjournals.com the DR posts, and found this a bit funny and thought some of you would like this.

2/15 Monday: The Mother?s Club gift exchange
In a nutshell: I wasn?t sure how Mercedes was going to treat me this week since we have since talked about our issues. She was civil and even kind of friendly which was a nice change. I bought the gift for my secret santa to exchange but I also wanted to get a gift for Minga. So, when I was in Santiago today coming back up from the concert, I stopped at a great store called Jumbo. I found a flower pot with little hearts all over it and got it for Minga. Then I went to the counter and had them wrap it (all the stores here will wrap presents for free) and Jumbo takes FOREVER but they do a great job. Minga liked the wrapping job so much she refused to open the gift! I found this hilarious so I took a picture of it. Finally her daughter came by a few days later and opened it for her. Next time I?ll save the money and get a rock wrapped for her!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I Guess

It shows the simplicity and humility of those in areas the Peace Corps operates.
Glad you found the humor and hope your work is rewarding if you are one of the PC volunteers. Best of luck to you. Share more of your experiences if you are so inclined. Pictures would be nice.

Last edited:

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I was a former PC volunteer from the late 80's. I found the website with all the blogs last summer and read dr1.com and them together. It is a nice contrast as to looking at what is going on in the DR. That little segment just made me giggle and can picture a number of women in the campo who would respond similarily.