Caution Buying Canned Goods !

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I can't keep helping to notice that when I buy some canned vegetables like peas, corn and beets that the expiration is too close for comfort.

The beets from libby's, I bought today and was going to eat have an experation date of 3 / 10 which is on Monday....I guess I better eat them before the weekend.

So be careful if it says libby's, libby's, Libby's on the label, label Label because you may end up on the Hospital -Table,Table Table !

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Expiration date sales have improved enormously in the last 10 years. 17 years ago it was perfectly normal in small colmados to find tins which had expired 7 years before. Expiration date doesn't mean the food will be bad, just not as 'fresh' :rolleyes: as tinned goods used in normal time frame.
Decoding Food Product Dates

And you can always get fresh beets here.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The baby beets roll around in the pan better with a little butter and pepper.

The large beets they sell here, are enough for many and then there are the stains. and clean up issues.

I have no time for that!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
...... don't forget the Coke!

Next time [If you do] buy a cold bottle of Coca Cola, etc, check the expiration date.
Vary often they are old in the small stores.

Don

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
The worst I had were some cashews from the Nacional, the kinds that are in plastic containers. After a good 10 minutes of eating them I looked at the container and a fat white worm was looking at me wiggling is tail, the bottom was full of worms. I was told by the manager at the Nacional that I wasn’t the first one to complain….oh now I feel much better!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I almost bought some really mouldy bagels in El Nacional once.

Here in the far east the small supermarkets are pretty bad when it comes to sell-by dates. Have to be extra careful, especially with the more exotic products.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i think the expiry date had a built in safey margin so you dont have to chuck it as soon as it goes past the date- my granny used to love mould on things she called it penicillin

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The worst I had were some cashews from the Nacional, the kinds that are in plastic containers. After a good 10 minutes of eating them I looked at the container and a fat white worm was looking at me wiggling is tail, the bottom was full of worms. I was told by the manager at the Nacional that I wasn?t the first one to complain?.oh now I feel much better!
Why, did the other customers thank them for the extra protein?
2ynl40j.gif

Don

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Eh that’s my worm!
Some friends told me that often those nuts in plastic containers come from canned goods that have expired and they repackaged to sale at lower price. Ay papa! Could that be true?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Why, did the other customers thank them for the extra protein?
2ynl40j.gif

Don

Unfortunately even though such a large chain store-they nor their staff could care a less whether they sell expired rotten food and make people sick.
No regulations, no control, no importa.

rescatara

Apr 24, 2009
canned

i dont worry about... its the pkged goods. nuts, crackers, etc.. If i want them i buy local from vendors. esp. nuts. crackers i do not buy except again for local saltines....imported no way...
they can be on the shelf for long time....

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
One of the problems in the larger stores, and i won't get on my soap box of how Playero consistantly has outdated stuff, is the way they stock the shelves. Instead of putting new stock in the back and moving the older stock to the front they just add the new stock. So eventually the old stock in the back becomes outdated and every once a while some one come up wtih the idea that the new stuff should go in back and lo and behold you now have outdated stock in front. Amaziing how that works.

Bob K

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
Businesses like these should have stock rotation procedures,

But after all it is the DR, they have to stand on trolleys to stack shelves :cheeky:

I remember when i bought a bottle of red rock, drank at least half of it, reading the label as you do, and realised it was at least 2 years out of date, there was nothing wrong with it, it tasted fine, but out of principal i took it back to the shop, showed the lady the bottle she just laughed and replaced it, with a one year out of date one,

And that was that.

Last edited: