cost of living, SD or UN Scammers?

Feb 7, 2007
Well, a basic consumer basket of goods is always considered for cost of living comparison. You cut off the bottom and you cut off the top, and you measure what's left in the middle. (E.g. you don't count first class air tickets to Bora bora, nor the rent in tin roof housing.) Also, I think a median of population (what they buy and in what quantities) is considered with this kind of comparisons, which would skew it towards the lower income classes in the DR and their corresponding purchases.

What's considered: food, clothing, housing, education, transportation, entertainment, health, etc.

For example, take housing. In SD you can find very many cheap housing (e.g. rents in 5-6.000 pesos range). In NY - good luck trying to find something for 150 dollars a month.

Transportation - a guagua or concho costs you 10-15 pesos in SD. In NY the metro bus is how much? A dollar a ride?

In SD a private school - colegio - (not Carol Morgan, of course) would cost you what - 2K or 3K pesos per month. In NYC how much would that be? 500 dollars or more?

If you go to emergency room in SD in a private clinic how much do you pay WITHOUT insurance? About 400-500 pesos, depending on the place. In the US I don't think they would not even let you pass the hospital's front door with 15 dollars in your pocket...

... and it keeps going like that ...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Well, a basic consumer basket of goods is always considered for cost of living comparison. You cut off the bottom and you cut off the top, and you measure what's left in the middle. (E.g. you don't count first class air tickets to Bora bora, nor the rent in tin roof housing.) Also, I think a median of population (what they buy and in what quantities) is considered with this kind of comparisons, which would skew it towards the lower income classes in the DR and their corresponding purchases.

What's considered: food, clothing, housing, education, transportation, entertainment, health, etc.

For example, take housing. In SD you can find very many cheap housing (e.g. rents in 5-6.000 pesos range). In NY - good luck trying to find something for 150 dollars a month.

Transportation - a guagua or concho costs you 10-15 pesos in SD. In NY the metro bus is how much? A dollar a ride?

In SD a private school - colegio - (not Carol Morgan, of course) would cost you what - 2K or 3K pesos per month. In NYC how much would that be? 500 dollars or more?

If you go to emergency room in SD in a private clinic how much do you pay WITHOUT insurance? About 400-500 pesos, depending on the place. In the US I don't think they would not even let you pass the hospital's front door with 15 dollars in your pocket...

... and it keeps going like that ...

I agree with you on rents, but if you buy using a mortgage like most people whether here or USA, the shorter terms and high rates mean a payment that would exceed USA.
School- you need to compare apples- that 2000 peso school is not going to produce the same student as the lower level schools in NYC, not even close. Unfortunately you do need to compare some of the higher end schools here just to be the normal equivalent in USA free public schools. So close to zero versus 1000usd per month and thst not Carol Morgan, its more i believe.

Emergency room visits without insurance is not a daily normal occurance , an exception.
Transportation definitely cheaper here but increases your odds of the emergency room visit, as opposed to safe comfortable transit, therefore your almost forced to use taxis in place of normal transit in USA-therefore more costly here.
Clothing- far less selection and poorer quality here, but if you shop around yes could be cheaper here-debatable.

Food, whether grocery store or restaurant---quality and choices of course are less here, yet far more expensive..My monthly grocery bill is far more than when I lived in Canada, Costa Rica, Buenos Aires, and my throw away because of rotten, expired, is also much greater. These are products that they conveniently avoid stamping expiries.
Vehicles-well i dont even need to comment on that one.
It can be very subjective and is determined by the individual, but I for one spend far more here than Canada for doing the same things but with less desireable results.
This being said I am not complaining just stating my reality...i can go to a tropical beach paradise in under and hour drive-summer all year round!!

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
ok.. thanks for this discussion because i really really believe that these guys are scamming

a good private school in NYC .. UN HQ is going to cost $25000 a year,,,, that is like the UN school... but there are plenty of really good public schools in NYC now.. particularly where the UN folks are going to live,.

I think that Carol Morgan costs $12000 a year... but there are no acceptable public schools here.

I think that housing figure is WAY off... In NYC.. you are lucky,.. very lucky to get a one bedroom for $1500 in a good neighborhood....

But look at the prices in SD and you will see that a good two bedroom is that price.

And really.. 4 bedrooms? 5 bedrooms? who NEEDS THESE?

And check out the price for alcohol and tobacco!!!

Every one must be drinking Johnny Walker aged in the cask

or single malt

and should the UN EVEN be CONSIDERING tobacco prices?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Annie,

Well,I am not an economist, but in the field of statistics...

The report concludes: "The results of the comparison showed that the cost-of-living index for Santo Domingo in July 2008 was 94.2 on the base New York, June 2005 = 100 at the exchange rate of RDP 33.70 to the U.S.dollar"
In other words, $94 dollars in july 2008 will buy what a New Yorker would have bought for $100 in 2005 for comparable consumer costs.

Hence, it doesn't say that it the cost of living in SD is half of the cost of NY.

Hope it helps!

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Annie,

Well,I am not an economist, but in the field of statistics...

The report concludes: "The results of the comparison showed that the cost-of-living index for Santo Domingo in July 2008 was 94.2 on the base New York, June 2005 = 100 at the exchange rate of RDP 33.70 to the U.S.dollar"
In other words, $94 dollars in july 2008 will buy what a New Yorker would have bought for $100 in 2005 for comparable consumer costs.

Hence, it doesn't say that it the cost of living in SD is half of the cost of NY.

Hope it helps!

YES

that is what i was looking for

i do not want to remember how long it has been since i took the statistics course at CUNY

but CERTAINLY they are scamming

94 to 100????????

my GOD THESE FOLKS LIVE

so GRAND HERE

all the other stats i have seen put SD at about 68 or 75 on the NYC basis...

GET THESE CROOKS out of town

they are pretty damn useless anyway

the FAHO or some such acronym .. a UN food group was looking for seeds for HAITI and we have had an expert correspond with them and they said well

yes, they have been doing LOTS and LOTs of research

and they MAY have found a bean seed that MIGHT do well in HAITI

in Guatemala

they do not have the sense that god gave chipmunks

(and as my friends would say,.,., why not tell them what you really feel, Elizabeth!)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I was born and raised in NYC and still have family living there... and I visit..

and I do not have to pay for hotels

but just WALKING around in NYC for a weekend costs me what I spend here in SD for about two weeks!

try taxis for instance
try coffee for instance

then try going to a restaurant with a liquor license.....

ok the street food and ethnic food is cheaper ,,, much better much much better

and much much cheaper...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I agree with you on rents, but if you buy using a mortgage like most people whether here or USA, the shorter terms and high rates mean a payment that would exceed USA.
School- you need to compare apples- that 2000 peso school is not going to produce the same student as the lower level schools in NYC, not even close. Unfortunately you do need to compare some of the higher end schools here just to be the normal equivalent in USA free public schools. So close to zero versus 1000usd per month and thst not Carol Morgan, its more i believe.

Emergency room visits without insurance is not a daily normal occurance , an exception.
Transportation definitely cheaper here but increases your odds of the emergency room visit, as opposed to safe comfortable transit, therefore your almost forced to use taxis in place of normal transit in USA-therefore more costly here.
Clothing- far less selection and poorer quality here, but if you shop around yes could be cheaper here-debatable.

Food, whether grocery store or restaurant---quality and choices of course are less here, yet far more expensive..My monthly grocery bill is far more than when I lived in Canada, Costa Rica, Buenos Aires, and my throw away because of rotten, expired, is also much greater. These are products that they conveniently avoid stamping expiries.
Vehicles-well i dont even need to comment on that one.
It can be very subjective and is determined by the individual, but I for one spend far more here than Canada for doing the same things but with less desireable results.
This being said I am not complaining just stating my reality...i can go to a tropical beach paradise in under and hour drive-summer all year round!!

Most people in NYC or here on temporary assignment like the UN folks do not have a mortgage.. they are rentor

only idiots keep a car in NYC.. the garage spaces cost more than my apartment here

your throw away here is because you are not shopping right.. the food here is all great.. except for the beef.. fresher... better-- arrives within a day from the campo
you can eat a much healthier diet here for about half of what it would cost you in NYC... where you have to go really high end to find a decent tomato in February!

not to mention a papaya!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
YES

that is what i was looking for

i do not want to remember how long it has been since i took the statistics course at CUNY

but CERTAINLY they are scamming

94 to 100????????

my GOD THESE FOLKS LIVE

so GRAND HERE

I want to add that comparable is the key word. It compares the spending of people with similar lifestyle/standing.
It does make sense from what I've read in this Forum, people don't seem to be spending a lot less living in DR, but rather their money stretches a bit more resulting in a better quality of life.
Hope it makes sense.

By the way, we took our stat classes at the same place ;)

May 29, 2006
Can some of the economists on the Board look over this sheet

http://icsc.un.org/resources/pdfs/2008/pp/Dominican Republic-08.pdf

and tell me if it really says what I think it does...

that the UN is rating Santo Domingo as half again as expensive as NYC?

I could be wrong.. but if I am right..

liar liar pants on fire

these guys are SCAMMERS!!!

It seems like the data is flawed from the beginning. If a family of four is spending $2000/month on housing in SD they are not living in some 1000 sq ft house with the neighbors 15 ft away and no yard; they are living in high end place with a pool and maid. Apples, meet oranges. My small condo on the north coast was $325/month with a pool, AC, security, satellite TV, fully furnished complete with linens and kitchen equipment. The electric was included, which they estimate at $65 per person alone and I figure at least another $35 value for the TV service. I can't see SD as that much more pricey and possibly cheaper. So about $1 per sq ft monthly rental everything included for a mid-range apt/condo. To get what I had back in the states would have been around $100/month.

You don't look for a place about what have back home. You budget a certain amount and then get the best value you can find.

May 29, 2006

$15? They don't charge you up front but an emergency room visit in the US is more like US$300, just for walking in the door. If you need X-Rays and other basic services, it can be a quick US$2000.

I had a tenant who called an ambulance after she threw her back out. They charged her US$800 for a 10 mile trip.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
This is correct, although we are talking about cost of living comparisons, which would be more accurate to compare health insurance costs rather than emergency room visits by those who have no coverage...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Can some one explain how we Dominicans live out of a minimum wage of US $ 200. a month, with out all the government help people have for ex. in the US.
Cost of living in DR must be cheaper than in the US or Canada.

JJ

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Again this topic is very subjective ones individual needs. That wage and what it would bring in this city would be considered poverty to some and adequate to others.

The major difference is Canada and USA has a much higher percentage of people in the middle and upper class.

It still comes down to comparisons, and when a Canadian moves here and lives the same lifestyle he/she is accustomed too, we cant help to notice the difference and in my case its higher.
My gym membership is double, my phone bills triple, internet double, electricty triple, food 50% more etc etc. it adds up quick

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
we live within our means

if we only have ten dollars per week we will find a way to live with it
should we get to 20 dollars per week...
we will still be broke at the end of the week...
this is because most tend to increase thier living with the extra money

as for myself...i found some things cheaper there than canada and vice versa

basic..food clothes...ect...
if a careful shopper are usually cheaper....

priveleged items tend to be more expensive due to availability of customers and product

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Not subjective

It still comes down to comparisons, and when a Canadian moves here and lives the same lifestyle he/she is accustomed too, we cant help to notice the difference and in my case its higher.
My gym membership is double, my phone bills triple, internet double, electricty triple, food 50% more etc etc. it adds up quick

Exactly! Cost of living index just compares what is comparable. If not, it would be useless.