average salary of domestic employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
year 2010 ... everything is getting more expensive....!
my question how much would be a fair payment for a domestic
employee (gardener and maid) on the north coast?
I know there have been lot's of discussions about that topic already but i am
asking again because it is not a static number.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
it depends on:

1. living in or out
2. benefits provided ie meals etc
3. Hours worked
4. Type of work involved

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
it depends on:

1. living in or out / Type of work involved / Hours worked
2 maids 9h/day - 5.5 days/week ; cleaning big house, washing-ironing, sometimes cooking
gardener 9h/day - 5.5 days/week; staying twice a week
main gardener: same hours ; taking care of dogs too ; washing car;
getting people if something breaks etc.... that everything goes smooth
2. benefits provided ie meals etc
yes meals

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I would say 7-9,000 RD$ a month. But you might want to be more generous! I pay the gardener 5k a month but he has his own house here and meals provided and works like 4 hours a day 5.5 days a week, and the maid 7500 a month 5 hours a day 5 days a week.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here in POP the going rate would be around 7k pesos a month for both maids and gardeners. you may pay a bit more if they have to travel far every day.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
We pay our full time gardener RD$4,600 every 15 days, which includes an RD$800 food allowance (RD$9,200 a month). We do not provide meals, and he has a fair amount of travelling to get to us. He works 8 hours a day and does not work Saturday, he has 2 weeks holiday a year an all the official days off.
As well as the garden he does minor maintenance, cleans the cars occasionally and keeps an eye on the pool.

rescatara

Apr 24, 2009
live in

is better imo...Got to be careful the first couple of months and always after that...
I dont like alot of people coming and going from my property....

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I agree $7,000-8,000 a month plus meals (we provide the food they cook), and they supply thier own transportation.

Bob K

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I have a landscape company and in 15 years Id never seen an experienced haitian gardener yet.
they just dont have skills to use some garden tools.
you can teach them for years and they will never learn how to use a chain saw, weed eater, hedge trimmers, etc.
even a lawn mower is very difficult for them.
forget to use them for prunning.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
That seems a little strange but I defer to your knowledge in the field - interesting.
Anyway I do not want to gum up another thread with a bunch of Haitian stuff.

back to the plot....

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Here in Santiago our general handyman come gardener is paid 12,000 per month. He also eats what we eat and we provide all his toilet needs eg soap, deoderant, toothepaste etc.

He has every Sumday off and he earns a bit on the side from the Dominican neighbours.

You get what you pay for, never forget this. There for the grace of God etc etc.

John

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Our housemaid...

In Santiago, we pay our housemaid 3,000 pesos a month. This includes her travel and we provide her meals that I cook. She comes three times a week for 9 hours per day and thoroughly cleans the house, garage and small front garden. Occasionally she brings in the dried clothes from outside.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not believe in "you get what you pay for". i am in DR and i pay standard DR rates.

Lex87

Mar 1, 2010
I'm adding this to my "myths to challenge" when I visit. I know schooling is poor in Hati but to find that the general workforce has no tool skills is very shocking!

Thanks for the info Johnny! Simply amazing.

Reactions: woofsback

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I think I am about to sound 'mean' here but this is what we pay. Our 'finca' worker does 8 am to 4 pm Mon - Fri and 8 am until 12 noon Saturdays has 6300 RD$ per month, his wife who works in the house for 4 days 9 am - 3pm (I supply lunch) earns 4200 RD$ per month. Our gardener/ handyman/ dog handler gets 5250 RD$ for 9 am - 5pm but also has lunch provided for 5 days a week.

However, they have a concrete house, albeit it has a tin roof but they have electricty supplied by us, running water and a proper toilet/ shower room so they do have a few perks!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I have a housekeeper who comes twice a week for a few hours. We have a small apartment and really all she needs to do is scrub down the kitchen and bathrooms, dust the living room and mop the floors. And she hangs and collects the laundry (that i wash because i'm type A about that stuff). we pay her $250 pesos a day, plus half of her transportation ($30).

i believe that if you pay "more" just because you're a foreigner and should, you're setting your employees up in the end. Unless they hit it rich with another foreigner, where are they going to find a job that pays as much as you did (when you leave the country, fire them or they quit) to keep up with their new "lifestyle"? another board member here had a fantastic maid, but the maid can't find a job now that will pay nearly as much as that old employer. So she's at a loss for what to do, because now she NEEDS to make as much as she used to.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wb, your salaries are adequate to location and type of work :)
i think many foreigners pay more than they should for services just because they do not want to be called cheap or stingy. not a good idea.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Well, I dont think you foreginers are paying more than the average salary dominicans pay.
250-30 pesos for transport is just an offense.
I pay the lady who come to clean once a week 1,200 pesos. just to clean the apartment.

Reactions: Lucille
Status
Not open for further replies.