Trujillo, mi padre

Should Angelita Trujillo's book, [I]"Trujillo, mi padre;"[/I] be allowed to circulate

• Yes

Votes: 64 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This past Thursday, February 25th; Rafael Leonidas Trujillo's youngest daughter, Angelita, put in circulation in the DR and US her book: "Trujillo, mi padre" (Trujillo, My Father).

Needless to say, this has created a huge polemic with the descendants of those who were tortured, killed, etc. storming into the room at the Hotel Santo Domingo where the launching of the book was suppose to take place. One of Trujillo's niece, Julieta Trujillo (70 years old), was almost killed by the mob had it not been for the security guards and National Police officers that gave her protection. Some of the protesters shouted to her "assassin," and "Trujillo's leave the country!" They are claiming that by allowing the book to circulate in the Dominican Republic, the authorities are allowing the Dominican democracy and freedom to be attacked.

The son of Angelita Trujillo, Ramfis Dominguez Trujillo, in Diario Libre AM said that the criticisms is excellent marketing for the book.

Apparently, in the book Angelita makes some interesting claims based on what her mother and other relatives have told her. Among the controversial 'revelations' has been that Trujillo didn't ordered the Mirabal sisters to be killed, but rather that the killing was a decision made by Antonio de la Maza, today considered one of various national heroes for playing a part in killing Trujillo in 1961 and ending the dictatorship.

Here are three related articles and a link to the video where Ramfis Dominguez Trujillo gives his opinion:

Angelita dice Trujillo vive en el palpitar de los dominicanos

Diario Libre - Boicotean presentaci?n libro de Angelita Trujillo

Hija de Antonio de la Maza responde a Angelita Trujillo

Video - Nieto de Trujillo defiende libro que escribi? su madre

=================================================

Should Angelita Trujillo's book, "Trujillo, mi padre;" be allowed to circulate in the Dominican Republic?

Reactions: Vacara

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In the spirit of freedom of speech, of course. And I would read it before criticising it.

I don't know if Minou Tavarez Mirabal has read it, but she says:

"No hay dudas de que ese libro es un irrespeto a la dignidad del pueblo dominicano que violenta el sentimiento democr?tico nacional. Es una mentira sin ning?n sustento que simplemente quiere da?ar y convertir a los victimarios en las v?ctimas. Es un libro muy mal escrito y bastante pueril. Promoverlo a trav?s de alguno...s medios de comunicaci?n es hacerle un flaco servicio a la democracia." (MTM)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In an article I read, it says Angelita attributes the actual execution of the crime as being supervised by General Antonio Imbert Barrera's brother, Segundo: 'Ella le atribuye a Segundo Imbert Barrera la responsabilidad de supervisar y constatar la ejecuci?n del crimen. Segundo es hermano del h?roe Antonio Imbert Barrera, quien tambi?n particip? en la muerte de Trujillo la noche del 30 de mayo de 1961.'
Angelita implica a h?roes 30 de Mayo en crimen de las Mirabal

Maybe at last a chance to have discussed openly in the DR, some of those questions which get you uninvited to polite dinner parties if you raise them?

I'm not personally in favour of banning because I too, support free speech. Even books which rewrote the history of Dominican-Haitian relations like Balaguer's La Realidad Dominicana (written at Trujillo's bidding).

And NALS, great topic for a poll.:)

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
"Censorship, like charity, should begin at home; but, unlike charity, it should end there."

You don't have to buy this book, read this book or discuss this book but IMHO it is a VERY slippery slope when you start deciding what others may buy, read or discuss!

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
insult to the nation and victims relatives

You will tell me that if Hitler daughter or a family member
will write a book and that nothing will happen in Germany ???

She enjoyed directly or not her father glorius time, he was a monster
in many point of view and many people have no idea believe
that she has right in DR. She will talk about how great
her father was of course as a daughter wont say else. Now she want to
talk on his behalf that he had nothing to do with the Mirabal and the Masacre
in the border. If she believe her father was inocent when she knows who killed her father why dont she fight to bring them to justice that's what normally happen in a real world.

in her case is all about money but she wont make it.

Its a shame that they were allowed to enter the country in first place.

That book is worthless.

Viva Quisqueya

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
There might be some hints of truth in that book.... Who knows ?
I believe the strong boycott shows that some people are getting nervous somehow...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The issues are extremely cloudy at best. Unlike the Nazis, Trujillo left few, if any, written records of his misdeeds and crimes. Almost 100% of what we have about him is hearsay and anecdotal. Each and every book about the Trujillo years is prejudiced one way or another, and that is easy to understand.

However, for a historian it is very frustrating to not be able to find solid evidence of what went on inside those offices of his. Maybe they (papers) are there and maybe they are not. Nothing earthshaking has ever turned up.

Is possible that some of her recollections are true? Heck yes it is... Remember, the people that killed him were close, really close associates, so they were probably flecked with some of the doo-doo of his regime as well. Many of them were awfully wealthy...gee, do you think???? Yes, Virginia, there are boogie-men.

HB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
She is right at this point:

Mi padre ingres? a la Guardia Nacional Dominicana como 2do Tte, el d?a 18 de diciembre del 1918, y solo once a?os despu?s, el 16 de agosto de 1930, era juramentado como Presidente de la Rep?blica. Esas cosas no suceden por casualidad. Es un hecho hist?rico fenomenal que proyecta sin ambages las dotes extraordinarios que conformaban su regia y singular personalidad.

Es por ello que, aun al d?a de hoy, en la arena pol?tica dominicana, cuando se trata de Trujillo no hay espectadores, todos son actores; las pasiones a?n reverberan. Unos que lo detractan y otros que lo enaltecen. Unos que lo llevan en su mente y otros en el coraz?n; la realidad es que despu?s de casi 50 a?os de su muerte, a?n vive presente en el palpitar de los dominicanos.

?Y qui?n es este hombre que, de una manera u otra, y en franco desaf?o de los a?os, gravita persistentemente en el quehacer de nuestro pueblo?

Trujillo

He lives in my heart no in my mind.

JJ

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
You will tell me that if Hitler daughter or a family member
will write a book and that nothing will happen in Germany ???

She enjoyed directly or not her father glorius time, he was a monster
in many point of view and many people have no idea believe
that she has right in DR. She will talk about how great
her father was of course as a daughter wont say else. Now she want to
talk on his behalf that he had nothing to do with the Mirabal and the Masacre
in the border. If she believe her father was inocent when she knows who killed her father why dont she fight to bring them to justice that's what normally happen in a real world.

in her case is all about money but she wont make it.

Its a shame that they were allowed to enter the country in first place.

That book is worthless.

Viva Quisqueya

I am pretty sure a family member of Hitler could write and publish a Book about Adolf Hitler in Germany. But would have to defend it afterwards on various talkshows etc. Germany is a democracy and has free speech.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
She is right at this point:

Mi padre ingres? a la Guardia Nacional Dominicana como 2do Tte, el d?a 18 de diciembre del 1918, y solo once a?os despu?s, el 16 de agosto de 1930, era juramentado como Presidente de la Rep?blica. Esas cosas no suceden por casualidad. Es un hecho hist?rico fenomenal que proyecta sin ambages las dotes extraordinarios que conformaban su regia y singular personalidad.

Es por ello que, aun al d?a de hoy, en la arena pol?tica dominicana, cuando se trata de Trujillo no hay espectadores, todos son actores; las pasiones a?n reverberan. Unos que lo detractan y otros que lo enaltecen. Unos que lo llevan en su mente y otros en el coraz?n; la realidad es que despu?s de casi 50 a?os de su muerte, a?n vive presente en el palpitar de los dominicanos.

?Y qui?n es este hombre que, de una manera u otra, y en franco desaf?o de los a?os, gravita persistentemente en el quehacer de nuestro pueblo?

Trujillo

He lives in my heart no in my mind.

JJ

Nobody question his leadership & tremendous abilities to run the country, but how is she surprised the people are still talking about a guy who for more than a quarter of a century was the absolute dictator?.

Freedom of speech does not equate freedom to lie and deceive. If she wants to give it for free let her do so, but don't allow her to make a profit while defending her father's memory, they made enough money off of the Dominican people already.

I wonder if she even graze hairy topics like this one'

2010-02-26_1059.jpg

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
"Freedom of speech does not equate freedom to lie and deceive. If she wants to give it for free let her do so, but don't allow her to make a profit while defending her father's memory, they made enough money off of the Dominican people already."

If you can prove libel fine, other wise your free to publish anything you want, and can pay for. On the other hand if you don't like it don't buy it!. If no one buys the book, then she will have done it for free. There is probably enough truth between the covers that its not all lies and deceit.

It's amazing what kids will pick up around the dinner table.

Reactions: Chirimoya

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
freedom of speech should be mandatory in a democratic society

No argument there, but we need some limitations. The US is a democracy, but you're not allowed to go into a public school and teach creationism in the name of freedom of speech. In Switzerland (or Sweden) you're not allowed to do so even in private school, the argument being that just because you have the money you don't have the right to teach stupidity in the name of freedom of speech.

Angelita's book is a unique, special case, and should be treated as such. Dominican Republic is a democracy (imperfect one) where freedom of movement is granted to every individual, but by law, no member of the Trujillo family can live, visit or conduct any kind of activity in the country. Let's extend that kind of prohibition to any attempt on their behalf to rewrite history.

You let the Trujillos go back to DR and with the disappointment of the population with the political process, I guarantee you that in no time we'll have a president with a last name beginning with "T".

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
I am pretty sure a family member of Hitler could write and publish a Book about Adolf Hitler in Germany. But would have to defend it afterwards on various talkshows etc. Germany is a democracy and has free speech.

In the democratic Germany, you exercise your freedom of speech and say "There was no genocide", you'll end up in jail.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
In the democratic Germany, you exercise your freedom of speech and say "There was no genocide", you'll end up in jail.

True. We need to read the book to see if she is claiming something in comparison to denying the Holocaust.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
freedom of speech should be mandatory in a democratic society

Excellently ironic post.
Reminds me of an American politician talking about imposing freedom in Iraq. He was being serious, however.

I beleive that we have laws in the U.K. prohibiting criminals from profiting by writing about their illegal exploits.
I am not sure if that includes their families as well.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008

True. We need to read the book to see if she is claiming something in comparison to denying the Holocaust.