View Poll Results: Should Angelita Trujillo's book, "Trujillo, mi padre;" be allowed to circulate

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

65 89.04%
  • No

8 10.96%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trujillo, mi padre

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Trujillo, mi padre

This past Thursday, February 25th; Rafael Leonidas Trujillo's youngest daughter, Angelita, put in circulation in the DR and US her book: "Trujillo, mi padre" (Trujillo, My Father).

Needless to say, this has created a huge polemic with the descendants of those who were tortured, killed, etc. storming into the room at the Hotel Santo Domingo where the launching of the book was suppose to take place. One of Trujillo's niece, Julieta Trujillo (70 years old), was almost killed by the mob had it not been for the security guards and National Police officers that gave her protection. Some of the protesters shouted to her "assassin," and "Trujillo's leave the country!" They are claiming that by allowing the book to circulate in the Dominican Republic, the authorities are allowing the Dominican democracy and freedom to be attacked.

The son of Angelita Trujillo, Ramfis Dominguez Trujillo, in Diario Libre AM said that the criticisms is excellent marketing for the book.

Apparently, in the book Angelita makes some interesting claims based on what her mother and other relatives have told her. Among the controversial 'revelations' has been that Trujillo didn't ordered the Mirabal sisters to be killed, but rather that the killing was a decision made by Antonio de la Maza, today considered one of various national heroes for playing a part in killing Trujillo in 1961 and ending the dictatorship.

Here are three related articles and a link to the video where Ramfis Dominguez Trujillo gives his opinion:

Angelita dice Trujillo vive en el palpitar de los dominicanos

Diario Libre - Boicotean presentación libro de Angelita Trujillo

Hija de Antonio de la Maza responde a Angelita Trujillo

Video - Nieto de Trujillo defiende libro que escribió su madre

=================================================

Should Angelita Trujillo's book, "Trujillo, mi padre;" be allowed to circulate in the Dominican Republic?

Post Thanks / Like

In the spirit of freedom of speech, of course. And I would read it before criticising it.

I don't know if Minou Tavarez Mirabal has read it, but she says:

"No hay dudas de que ese libro es un irrespeto a la dignidad del pueblo dominicano que violenta el sentimiento democrático nacional. Es una mentira sin ningún sustento que simplemente quiere dañar y convertir a los victimarios en las víctimas. Es un libro muy mal escrito y bastante pueril. Promoverlo a través de alguno...s medios de comunicación es hacerle un flaco servicio a la democracia." (MTM)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"Circulating" is an interesting word.

Should it be banned? No.

I love AZB!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    In the spirit of freedom of speech, of course. And I would read it before criticising it.
    She blames the killing of the Mirabal sisters on De La Maza. That's enough to ban that garbage.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In an article I read, it says Angelita attributes the actual execution of the crime as being supervised by General Antonio Imbert Barrera's brother, Segundo: 'Ella le atribuye a Segundo Imbert Barrera la responsabilidad de supervisar y constatar la ejecución del crimen. Segundo es hermano del héroe Antonio Imbert Barrera, quien también participó en la muerte de Trujillo la noche del 30 de mayo de 1961.'
    Angelita implica a héroes 30 de Mayo en crimen de las Mirabal

Maybe at last a chance to have discussed openly in the DR, some of those questions which get you uninvited to polite dinner parties if you raise them?

I'm not personally in favour of banning because I too, support free speech. Even books which rewrote the history of Dominican-Haitian relations like Balaguer's La Realidad Dominicana (written at Trujillo's bidding).

And NALS, great topic for a poll.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"Censorship, like charity, should begin at home; but, unlike charity, it should end there."

You don't have to buy this book, read this book or discuss this book but IMHO it is a VERY slippery slope when you start deciding what others may buy, read or discuss!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default insult to the nation and victims relatives

You will tell me that if Hitler daughter or a family member
    will write a book and that nothing will happen in Germany ???

She enjoyed directly or not her father glorius time, he was a monster
    in many point of view and many people have no idea believe
    that she has right in DR. She will talk about how great
    her father was of course as a daughter wont say else. Now she want to
    talk on his behalf that he had nothing to do with the Mirabal and the Masacre
    in the border. If she believe her father was inocent when she knows who killed her father why dont she fight to bring them to justice that's what normally happen in a real world.

in her case is all about money but she wont make it.

Its a shame that they were allowed to enter the country in first place.

That book is worthless.

Viva Quisqueya

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There might be some hints of truth in that book.... Who knows ?
    I believe the strong boycott shows that some people are getting nervous somehow...

Post Thanks / Like

The issues are extremely cloudy at best. Unlike the Nazis, Trujillo left few, if any, written records of his misdeeds and crimes. Almost 100% of what we have about him is hearsay and anecdotal. Each and every book about the Trujillo years is prejudiced one way or another, and that is easy to understand.

However, for a historian it is very frustrating to not be able to find solid evidence of what went on inside those offices of his. Maybe they (papers) are there and maybe they are not. Nothing earthshaking has ever turned up.

Is possible that some of her recollections are true? Heck yes it is... Remember, the people that killed him were close, really close associates, so they were probably flecked with some of the doo-doo of his regime as well. Many of them were awfully wealthy...gee, do you think???? Yes, Virginia, there are boogie-men.

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

She is right at this point:

Mi padre ingresó a la Guardia Nacional Dominicana como 2do Tte, el día 18 de diciembre del 1918, y solo once años después, el 16 de agosto de 1930, era juramentado como Presidente de la República. Esas cosas no suceden por casualidad. Es un hecho histórico fenomenal que proyecta sin ambages las dotes extraordinarios que conformaban su regia y singular personalidad.

Es por ello que, aun al día de hoy, en la arena política dominicana, cuando se trata de Trujillo no hay espectadores, todos son actores; las pasiones aún reverberan. Unos que lo detractan y otros que lo enaltecen. Unos que lo llevan en su mente y otros en el corazón; la realidad es que después de casi 50 años de su muerte, aún vive presente en el palpitar de los dominicanos.

¿Y quién es este hombre que, de una manera u otra, y en franco desafío de los años, gravita persistentemente en el quehacer de nuestro pueblo?

Trujillo

He lives in my heart no in my mind.

JJ

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast