Laws regarding cannon and mining gear

pyrate

Feb 25, 2010
www.PrivateerInc.org
Hello! We live on and sail a 1700's replica privateer complete with black powder cannon. We also like to prospect with small scale mining gear for minerals. Small gas powered suction devices and sluices are the preferred methods. What, if any are the legalities of possessing and using said equipment by Americans in the DR, and of possession of said replica black powder cannon. As a person or persons arriving by boat, we are subject to slightly different customs treatment in many countries, so I'd like some information BEFORE sailing south to avoid any confiscation or trouble. This is a re-post, as our first try was deleted and acct. cancelled as 'spam'. We aren't selling anything, or offering any services. Thanks, Gary

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I can't imagine you will have a problem, unless you find something and word gets out.

As for the canon, I'm sure most customs officials here would have no idea what it's for :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unless you "salute the flag" as you sail into harbor, you will probably not be bothered.
However, mining is strictly controlled here and you need permission to even prospect. So, with that in mind and knowing how proud you are to be Americans, I would suggest that you either find a lawyer to get you the permissions ahead of time, or forget all about it this trip.
Since black powder is also a "controlled substance" it had best be stored away real well....

You get no points for being American.

HB

pyrate

Feb 25, 2010
www.PrivateerInc.org
Well, let's see here. 'probably' isn't the type of actual legal answer we're seeking. As for 'pride', well, everyone has some, and most everyone is from 'somewhere else'. And you, mr. Hillbilly? Place of birth?..As far as 'black powder', as a documented vessel flagged in the US, I'm aware of the nature of that particular beast. It is stored according to treatises between many govt.s in a properly locked powder magazine. Not even interested in venturing somewhere that I must 'hide' things. I would hazard a guess that you haven't yourself traveled by seas, or you would be quite aware of the customs differences arriving by water in foreign lands. We aren't looking for 'points', we are seeking actual legal facts concerning these issues. Maybe you are correct, if in fact, since I posted this on a legal issue forum, perhaps the DR isn't a good place to visit if everything is on the sly and behind dark secrets..If that's the norm, then possibly word should be put out to the cruising community as a whole through other forums. Sounds like Mexico. Actually sounds more unfriendly than Cuba at present. But thanks again. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you seeking hard legal facts, I suggest you retain the services of a lawyer. I recommend Fabio Guzman's firm, click on the graphic at the top of this forum.

This is the Dominican Republic, not the USA, Virgin Islands etc.
Things work a little differently here, maybe customs will have an issue, maybe it will go away with US$50, or maybe they couldn't careless.

As the very well traveled and oracle of the Dominican Republic Hillbilly suggested, maybe better to get all the paperwork up front. Good luck with that!!

The DR does not have a great name in the cruising forums, but it's getting better.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The American missionaries in Haiti thought that they were special, too. In your first post you mentioned it as if it would bring you special treatment, and maybe it does in some places, but if you ask the boating crowd in the Dominican Republic, you will see that there exists a rather paranoid attitude regarding foreign boats that visit ports.

Some people with the normal complement of weapons (pistols, the odd rifle and such) as normal in US waters, and perhaps inthe Bahamas with the pirating that used to go on, have found that to be a big NO NO in Dominican waters. Now that is a fact.

I think, since you do have what has to be an interesting craft, that you try and work out a deal with the Tourism Ministry and see if you can visit DR ports as a mock pirate. It could be filmed and used to promote tourism, IMO...

Hey, I wish you the best, and hope your trip goes well. Try to contact Ken2 on this site, he is a real sailor and knows a whole lot about dos and donts...

HB

pyrate

Feb 25, 2010
www.PrivateerInc.org
Thanks for the information, and I've made the usual inquiries to the consulate. We are a family, not interested in retaining legal services just to try and visit the DR..Don't give a damn about missionaries, they tend to ruin everywhere they go..Look what Columbus did for you folks that are native. That said, In close to 100,000 sea miles, I've yet to come across a cruising boat flagged in the DR; that there are such animals cruising the world ports actually suprises me. That you mention the 'NO-NO' of small firearms is exactly why I posted this in the first place regarding the cannons. 2 1/4 inch bore muzzleloaders that take 5 ounces of powder are definitely a 'bigger' gun than the average cruiser carries, hence the sometimes complicated world of Tallships. We are the pirate ship of note in the History Channel's 'True Caribbean Pirates' feature, as well as several others..Not a brag, but as you mentioned, a 'fact'...Perhaps when time permits I'll try contacting the ministry of Tourism. I found a similar 'look the other way' concept of gov't. in the Republic of the Philippines, and, altho I loved the country and it's people, the graft was a bit too much to handle after a while.. Thanks again. If you have 'google' there, try googling 'pirate ship Royaliste'...again, not trying to sell anything, and I won't provide any links to our websites as I was asked by the board............

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Capt. Bergman, have you heard of Bruce Van Sant? He lives here on the north coast, & like Ken2, knows these waters as well as anyone and more importantly could probably link you to someone which would possibly be better than a cold call to Ministry of Tourism. You can either google for his website or PM me if you want his contact details.

That is one spectacular ship. I would love to see a 1755 warship sail in to a DR port.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Are you guys privateers or pirates??? :)

My ancestor was a French privateer in Sainte Domingue out of Port de Paix with a letter of marque from the US.

Best of luck.

pyrate

Feb 25, 2010
www.PrivateerInc.org
Ah, the history of it all!...I won't ramble, but this is the meat of what Privateer Royaliste does; factual history with a little colorful embellishment..Sir Francis Drake was England's greatest privateer, and Spain's most hated pirate. Most historical pirates were at one time or another licensed privateers with letters of Marque from somewhere. Since Disney and the POTC films, of course we are contracted mostly as pirates, but you did your homework and saw that we're originally a French/Indian War's gunboat. We've upgraded to Rev War, and do many War of 1812 reenactments as well. ( a lot of those coming up soon). I'm sure you know, but for those who don't, the actual difference during an encounter at sea was whether the privateer was engaged in the seizing of war contraband, or taking personal valuables. If they messed with valuables, or non contraband items (anchors and ground tackle were actually most popular), then they could be tried for piracy. We carry the original documents for the Privateer Spitfire, who were considered 'pirates' because of their scallywag lifestyle. So, I find it very interesting that you have ancestors in the privateering trade. Royaliste was a French flagged privateer before I owned her as she was built and came from Canada. When I documented her as a US vessel, we aptly became American privateers.. Name is still French, as one doesn't mess with changing ship names...bad mojo, to say the least. This year, on the Great Lakes, aside from 20 some Tallships travelling together, we'll be in company with a soon to be launched French privateering vessel under the name LaRevenante (the ghost)...a replica of an formerly exsistant 1755 privateer of some small fame. So regardless of where the fleet ends up, the two wolves will be hiding behind islands and in coves together, pack style.. Great fun, young or old,mate...Lambada, I'll PM you for the details...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this guy should definately get in touch with Tourism!! What a show to go into Santo Domingo (R?o Ozama) and attack one of those Cruise Ships!! Or perhaps Puerto Plata and capture Fort San Felipe like inthe old days...now they could sell tickets to that one!!

We think Vin Diesel is a big deal!! This is much better for more people to enjoy...

Good luck Cap'n!!

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
this guy should definately get in touch with Tourism!!

Indeed, but not cold in case he gets fleeced by some 'gate-keeper' wanting his cut before pyrate actually gets to the decision makers and permission givers. We know what's likely to happen if a low level functionary takes the phone call or mail.....:ermm: That's why anyone with contacts with integrity in the Ministry could be helpful in offering pyrate assistance.

Mind you, if they tried fleecing him I would suggest he sails in anyway preferably on May 16th. and puts on the show of a lifetime :laugh:. (May 16th. is election day pyrate ;) ).

pyrate

Feb 25, 2010
www.PrivateerInc.org
Well folks, May of this year is a transit month on the Erie Canal, and since hurricane season is what is in the Caribbean, I kinda doubt that one will happen!..We are seasoned at 'attacking' (mock of course, just blanks) historic forts from Nova Scotia to California...It's always a great time and a good show for all. Angel Island in San Francisco Bay, CA even goes to the trouble of setting off ground charges of black powder to make it look like 'hits'...( the kids really fall for that one!) and in return, we carry a few big flat rocks to toss in the water to look like 'near misses'...We've also done quite a few cruise ships, but we are tiny in comparable size, so the effect seems to only tick off the cruise line. I sent Lambada a PM, but it doesn't look like it went thru regarding Mr. Van Sant...Royaliste draws a bit over six feet of water depth, so we do have to be careful when playing 'war' close to shore.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
If you are going to arrange a mock battle with the Halifax Citadel (every day they fire a noon cannon), please post the date here and I'll make sure to be on the Halifax waterfront for that one...

Gregg
Nova Scotia

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I sent Lambada a PM, but it doesn't look like it went thru regarding Mr. Van Sant...

Indeed it went through, it's just that I do other things as well as being on DR1 :cheeky:. Have now responded & given you the info. Also sent you the itinerary of when Tall Ships are due to arrive here (Bicentenary this year). They come in June which is technically hurricane time but most of ours come in September. Also sent you the Min of Tourism write up from when Tall Ships were here in 2006. Hope this helps.

pyrate

Feb 25, 2010
www.PrivateerInc.org
Thanks for the information; my 'net presence where I am currently at is weak for signal, and didn't show that my message had been sent, not that you didn't receive it....
The types of vessels that are scheduled are rather large,steel hulled ships that we participate with, but other than that, have little to do with. They are great representations of the last days of the age of sail, but also not very representative of the concept of ' Iro men, wooden ships'...As a traditinally rigged wooden ship, even in northern waters, we can't compete with them on speed, weather, or financial backing. They are indeed 'commercial interests', many of whom are gov't sponsored state rep's of foreign countries...read 'plenty of money'.....
Our last time in Halifax was 2007, at which time we also did Louisbourg, Sidney, Port Hawksbury, Prince Edward Island, and Miramichi, NB.....foggy and cold for the bulk of the tour....Royaliste was built in Nova Scotia, Mehegan River, over with the French guys and the huge tides of the Bay of Fundy....I'll pursue some of these links and see what develops....One never knows...