Am I required to provide details of accommodation on PR application

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
On the application for PR I did not see any place where you are required to state where the spouse will be living upon arrival to Canada nor whether the property is owned by me (the sponsor) Is this not important to spousal sponsorship here in Canada? must I include these details on a separate sheet of paper? And if the house I live in now is my mother?s, do I need to get proof that she is the owner and that she agrees for him to live here with us until we get our own place?
Thanks!
Ana

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
There isn't any specific question about that.

Both the sponsor and applicant questionnaires state at the bottom to attach a separate page with any additional information you wish to include.

Although it isn't required, if you feel it is necessary to include it...I think it would be here that you would talk about your goals for the future together, where you are going to live etc.

Sangria

Last edited:

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
Thank you so much! I was getting scared that we would run into problems because of that. So If it is not required and on the sheet of paper I state that he will be living here with me in my mother's house until I am finished school they won't ask for proof of ownership from my mom or a letter stating it is okay?

I was also thinking of getting life insurance and adding him to it since we don't really have anything like that together. We are not submitting the application until June so it shouldn't be a problem where they think we just did it for the application right? I was also wondering if you could tell me what other sorts of things besides life insurance, car insurance and a phone could he put my name on in DR?
Thanks once again for helping out !
Ana

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I don't even think it is necessary that you include that. They do not need to know who owns the house or a letter of permission for you & your husband to live in your mom's house until you are settled on your own.

On the sponsor application there is a question that asks for your address and if you live with anyone. That is all they want to know or they would have asked for more.

Other things that could be joined are Dom Rep bank account and joint ownership of property or a house in the DR.

Immigration wants to see how your relationship has developed in the time you have been together, how you communicate, how much you know about each others life, finances, family and personal history. They want to see that your relationship is real and as normal as can be even though you are separated alot of the time.

Once your application is approved and your husband has landed at the airport and picks up his luggage you are free to live wherever you want....you just need to update your address with CIC.

When I was preparing our application, I over scrutinized everything. The best thing you can do is take breaks from your application or move on to another question. I know you want to answer everything right and do all the right things. Sometimes it helps to take a step back from that question for a day or two and then go back to it with a fresh take on it.

If you ask a few of the members who were successful in being approved quickly how they put everything together or what they wrote.....each one will have done it a different way...all of them the right way.

Some people answered the questions to the point and then submitted a letter from each spouse talking about the progression of their relationship and goals for the future. It is from the heart and honest.

Others answer each question with a long detailed explanation and then don't include anything extra except the pictures/phone bills etc.

We gave detailed answers and attached additional explanations to anything we felt was important to mention but not asked by any of the questions. We used a table of contents and included a cover letter explaining how we prepared the application and what proof we had included.

Just think of it like the biggest shool project you will put together and the subject is you and the love of your life!

Johana

May 24, 2006
I was living with a room mate when I applied - and we were not questioned on this.

If you read about the cases where there was a denial the sponsor's intentions are not questioned it is the applicant's. With that in mind my advice to people is to look at the application from the point of the Immigration Officer and how can you prove that you have a genuine relationship on both your parts. Try not to stress about what other people have for proof if you don't have it. Focus on what you have and how that will look to the IO.

My husband and I communicated a lot by emails - so I printed them all off and sent them in. This showed that we communicated in both English and Spanish and showed our relationship over time. So for me, I didn't feel I needed to add a lot of extra explanations on the application and there was only one question that I needed more space to finish. However, if we had communicated primarily by telephone I'm sure I would have given a lot more extra details.

Sangria gives great advice in taking a break if you find yourself really stressing out. As well as sending in an organized application - I know if I was receiving the app I would appreciate it being organized :)

Best of luck!!!

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
Thanks for the response Johana. I have a lot of emails and conversations that I could print off but they are all in Spanish since he doesn't speak English. Should I have them translated?

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
I think a lot of people translated theirs but I didn't. I didn't translate ours because they only need it as proof of our ongoing relationship, not as a legal document. I'm sure that many of the IOs speak Spanish as well. That's my opinion, but I'm sure the majority here translated. I'm not finished my process either so I guess I'll see if that was a mistake lol!

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
I didn't translate ours - and I didn't include a lot emails - as far as i'm concerned I'm willing to provide proof we talked - for how long and how often - but what we talk about is none of their business - I don't want to know what others talk about in their marriage - so I relied more on phone records and included a couple emails, but left them in spanish...

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
We didn't translate ours either.

It doesn't matter if they are in english/french/spanish...only matters that you share a common language with each other....(Spanglish counts!!)

I think we overdid it but we included a very large sample of emails & chat logs printed from both of our email accounts.

We included phone bills and phone card records.

When we got our proof of relationship back after the visa was approved, they had taken a cross section of the emails/chats/phone bills.

I had them organized by month/year and they basically chose 1 or 2 from each month to read.

Johana

May 24, 2006
I sent almost all of our emails - and did not have any of them that were in Spanish translated. I felt it showed the frequency of the communications and the type of things we talked about. It was from the ordinary - how was your day, how are you feeling (I also seemed to end up sick after my trips) to talking about future trip plans, wedding plans and life together plans.
I didn't bother sending in any of our chat transcripts even though we had a lot of those as well as I didn't think they would add more than what was already in the emails (150+). We emailed from the outset so you could look through them and see some of the evolution of our relationship. I had them all in chronological order starting from the beginning.