chile earthquake

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
did anyone feel it? i thought i felt a quake last night and got up and searched the web for earthquakes. i didn't find anything so i went back to bed.

did anyone feel it?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh my God! That was an 8.8 humonguous quake, that was much more than 10 times the strength of the one that hit Haiti. In fact, at 8.8 it was nearly 100 times the strength of Haiti's...

This will be catastrophic!

It is obvious that something is happening with the earth's crust. 7 in Haiti, 7 in Guatemala, 7 + in Japan and one in Indonesia and now this monster quake in Chile, the "Ring of FIRE," is really active.

HB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
chile had a 9.5 in 1960, with a tsunami that killed people in hawaii. the chileans really know earthquakes. :)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Oh my God! That was an 8.8 humonguous quake, that was much more than 10 times the strength of the one that hit Haiti. In fact, at 8.8 it was nearly 100 times the strength of Haiti's...

This will be catastrophic!

It is obvious that something is happening with the earth's crust. 7 in Haiti, 7 in Guatemala, 7 + in Japan and one in Indonesia and now this monster quake in Chile, the "Ring of FIRE," is really active.

HB

Actually CNN said it was 1000 times the strength of Haiti's quake.

Reactions: mike l
Apr 3, 2009
Energy Released

I believe that the earthquake in Chile was about 500x more powerful than the earthquake in Haiti.

-BB

((10^8.8)^(3/2)) / ((10^7.0)^(3/2)) = 501.2x

May 29, 2006
I'm worried about the tiny islands in the Pacific. I lived on an island 2000 miles west of Hawaii where the highest point was 6 feet above sea level. Tsunamis can travel all away around the world if they are big enough and they don't hit anything. I was on the island when we had to evacuate to the far side of the island due to a wave storm and that was caused by a typhoon.

They are saying there will be some tsunami effects in California, Japan, Alaska and even New Zealand.

Jan 5, 2006
Hawaii is at its highest possible tsunami alert. All countries with a coast on the Pacific ocean are also on alert.

To keep this DR related, there is a significant number of Dominican nationals living in Chile.

Considering the strength of this quake, the damage seems mild. This goes to show the significant difference that construction methods can make in lessening damage from earthquakes and other natural disasters.

Feb 7, 2007
Just watching Telemundo. A seismologist expert form Peru is analyzing the situation. The quake in Chile was 59 kms deep. They were making the comparison with Haiti quake, which was only 10 km deep. It is not just the magnitude that matters, but the depth of epicenter as well. So a smaller magnitude quake close to the surface can make much more damage than a quake deep in the earth crust, but of much bigger magnitude.

So it's not only the better/reinforced construction methods in Chile that made the difference.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Just watching Telemundo. A seismologist expert form Peru is analyzing the situation. The quake in Chile was 59 kms deep. They were making the comparison with Haiti quake, which was only 10 km deep. It is not just the magnitude that matters, but the depth of epicenter as well. So a smaller magnitude quake close to the surface can make much more damage than a quake deep in the earth crust, but of much bigger magnitude.

So it's not only the better/reinforced construction methods in Chile that made the difference.

this is pretty interesting. so maybe is the richter scale not an accurate measure for earthquake impact?

if not, how do we truly know the relative impact of an earthquake?

Feb 7, 2007
this is pretty interesting. so maybe is the richter scale not an accurate measure for earthquake impact?

According to what I understand, the magnitude describes the energy released. It's not the same to detonate a nuclear bomb 60 km deep UNDER ground than it's to detonate it ON the ground, etc.

if not, how do we truly know the relative impact of an earthquake?

That's a good question ...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
According to what I understand, the magnitude describes the energy released. It's not the same to detonate a nuclear bomb 60 km deep UNDER ground than it's to detonate it ON the ground, etc.

That's a good question ...

think the scale only measures the strength, not the impact. that can very due to depth, construction, etc. Cannot use the scale to what that such and such will occure

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
hmm this is a new development - I posted a link to the news story and it got deleted , how weird is that

I just checked the admin logs and your post never got posted nor was it deleted by any moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I was watching CNN news at around 4 am DR time about the Chile earthquake & stayed awake longer than I usually do when they were issuing tsunami watches for a whole host of Central American countries. The meteorologist on that programme said each 1.0 in magnitude represented 32 times the amount of energy released, thus the Chile EQ would have released 57 times the amount of energy of the Haiti EQ :ermm:. Video clip is here:
Earthquake Chile 8.8 Magnitude 27th 2nd 2010.

Also a website has now been set up with info & updates:
Terremoto Chile

Initial news was mainly via internet, Twitter etc:
Internet, principal fuente de informaci?n para seguir en vivo el terremoto en Chile

May 29, 2006
I believe that the earthquake in Chile was about 500x more powerful than the earthquake in Haiti.

-BB

((10^8.8)^(3/2)) / ((10^7.0)^(3/2)) = 501.2x

Thanks. Don't yet understand what the ^3/2 part is for but 500 was what they finally figured out on CNN.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So a seismograph (the instrument) that recorded a 1 cm deflection on a seismogram (the tracing) for a magnitude 5 earthquake would show a 100 cm deflection for a magnitude 7 quake

As I understood it to be logarithmetic 10 x 10 and so on...a 5 is 10 times worse than a 4 and 100 times worse than a 3....

What do I know...we ain't got many quakes in WVA.

HB

May 29, 2006
There is a base 10 log in there but then there is the ^3/2 part that I don't get.

With tsunamis a lot has to do with whether it was an upthrust or a lateral slip. It's kind of like cracking a whip. There is a huge volume of water moving at 700 miles an hour with a wave less than a foot high and several miles long and it builds up as the ocean gets more shallow until it is going 100 MPH at 7 ft high. They said they can't tell how bad it will be because the geography of the island has so much of an effect. The last big tsunami in Hawaii from Chile bent parking meters over.

When I witnessed a wave storm in the Pacific, the waves were about 20 ft high and moving about 5 MPH, but they lost most of their forward momentum when they hit the barrier reef about a quarter mile out. Then a secondary wave about 8' high would come and hit the island and wash over it. It was really quite an incredible experience to witness. The shore drained away out to the barrier reef each time before the big wave hit the outer reef.

Feb 7, 2007
hmm this is a new development - I posted a link to the news story and it got deleted , how weird is that

I just checked the admin logs and your post never got posted nor was it deleted by any moderator

I actually saw the post and the link ... it was couple of post beneath one from a russian sounding nickname saying he was UFO and responsible for earthquakes and giving some quake-prediction link.

But jrhartley's post was there, as well as a link to (what I think was) BBC ...

Reactions: jrhartley