How risky is it to travel to POP during hurricane season

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I was wondering how safe it is to travel to POP during the hurricane season and which months are higher risk etc. I`ve heard that the risk is relatively lower on the North Coast but I`d like to know how high relatively low is. I was planning to travel in April but now that`s not looking like an option....I`d likely be able to travel in late July or the fall. I`d like to know what I`d be dealing with ie rains, flooding, high winds etc...and how far inland the effects are felt. I`d be staying in Playa Dorada or right in POP.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hurricane season runs June-November. Weather can never be guaranteed but I would not worry or hesitate to travel during this time...and have done so many times.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I was wondering how safe it is to travel to POP during the hurricane season and which months are higher risk etc. I`ve heard that the risk is relatively lower on the North Coast but I`d like to know how high relatively low is. I was planning to travel in April but now that`s not looking like an option....I`d likely be able to travel in late July or the fall. I`d like to know what I`d be dealing with ie rains, flooding, high winds etc...and how far inland the effects are felt. I`d be staying in Playa Dorada or right in POP.

Shiraz:

You have a greater risk getting hit from the back by an Animation worker in Playa Dorado than a named storm miamol!

terrible tambo'

Reactions: mike l

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chances very, very low that you will be in path of a hurricane in Puerto Plata or Playa Dorada. You may get some overcast and rainy days that are hurricane/tropical storm related, but you very unlikely to get the hurricane force winds. Storms going north typically have turned toward the Bahama Islands before they get to Puerto Plata

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Slim chance

Very true, most will either split and favor the south coast of the DR and Haiti, the ones on the north side seem to turn upward toward the other islands. You might see more in the way of tropical rains....for days.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
that's a risk I'm willing to take

;)
Shiraz:

You have a greater risk getting hit from the back by an Animation worker in Playa Dorado than a named storm miamol!

terrible tambo'

The risk of getting hit in the backside is just as high here in Canada if you frequent Groovy's Roti Hut on McArthur Avenue... ;) I'm sure I can wrangle those boys considering that I'm 5'11" and most of them can't reach my booty:cheeky: and any weather that DR has to offer during hurricane season...LOL

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Chances very, very low that you will be in path of a hurricane in Puerto Plata or Playa Dorada. You may get some overcast and rainy days that are hurricane/tropical storm related, but you very unlikely to get the hurricane force winds. Storms going north typically have turned toward the Bahama Islands before they get to Puerto Plata

Very true, most will either split and favor the south coast of the DR and Haiti, the ones on the north side seem to turn upward toward the other islands. You might see more in the way of tropical rains....for days.

Thanks guys. I'm more confident now that I'll be safe in POP. I just wanted reassurance because I've experienced a hurricane once before travelling in Florida during September. Ended up being rescued by the coast guard out at sea in Gulph of Mexico nearly capsized.... I don't care to relive that experience ever again!

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Travel during this time

Hurricane season runs June-November. Weather can never be guaranteed but I would not worry or hesitate to travel during this time...and have done so many times.

DRLoca, do you find airfares or packages are priced lower at this time because I'd assume this is the low season for travel to DR? I'm trying to way out my options re all inclusive packages vs just getting airfare and finding a hotel etc... I took an all inclusive last time and only paid $649 for a 4 star, 7 days. Now the travel carrier, gotravelsouth whom I did all my bookings with has gone under :ermm: I'm forced to look elsewhere.:tired:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
DRLoca, do you find airfares or packages are priced lower at this time because I'd assume this is the low season for travel to DR? I'm trying to way out my options re all inclusive packages vs just getting airfare and finding a hotel etc... I took an all inclusive last time and only paid $649 for a 4 star, 7 days. Now the travel carrier, gotravelsouth whom I did all my bookings with has gone under :ermm: I'm forced to look elsewhere.:tired:

I dont buy packages so I cant comment as I am not familar with current pricing trends. I do get great air deals but that also depends what city you are flying out of.
Also, dont always rely on the low season as being "cheap". Prices do generally drop but this is the peak season for Eurpoeans travelling to the DR so that can impact prices too.

PM me if you need advice on air travel if you wish.

Reactions: Bronxboy

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Low season is after Semana Santa (Easter)

Have a look at www.selloffvacations.com

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I dont buy packages so I cant comment as I am not familar with current pricing trends. I do get great air deals but that also depends what city you are flying out of.
Also, dont always rely on the low season as being "cheap". Prices do generally drop but this is the peak season for Eurpoeans travelling to the DR so that can impact prices too.

PM me if you need advice on air travel if you wish.

Do you have any recommendations for inter caribe flight deals or to SDQ to san jose costa rica?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To answer the OP'd original question: Zero to -1///// something like that.

You gotta know that there are 100 year old wooden buildings that wouldn't stand up to the wolf, much less a hurricane...all over Puerto Plata.

My beach house is close to 50 years old and it is on the water...North Shore gets a few waves, some rain, maybe a gust or two, but no hurricanes...

(So far!!!)....the way the world is shaking...who knows...we lost 1.26/1,000,000 sec during the earthquake in Chile...the world actually slowed up a bit....never to return.

But, if you think about it, maybe a huge volacno burst would act like a fart and speed up the old planet???

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Don't listen to these people. Thay have no idea what they're talking about.

If you visit the DR during Hurricane Season you'll undoubtedly die.

Like everybody else.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe die of pure delight????

JEJE,,,,can't scare the good folks away with that...

With modern communications, we know about hurricanes weeks in advance. There is a groupof aficionados on this board that collect and sift through as much info than most national meteorological offices--excepting maybe MIAMI....

Only fools say that "Never" happens...but what do we know???

Come on down, the water's great!!

HB

May 29, 2006
I think Oct-Nov is one of the best times of the year to visit the island. It's not as hot and the occasional afternoon rainstorms are usually short and cool things down until sunset.

Hurricanes almost always hit the island from the south or on the east coast. The flooding PP had a week or so ago was probably far worse than anything that has happened there with a hurricane in the last 20 years.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Hit from the back

Hit or hit on? hahaha

;)I have an interesting video of the animation team of Gran Ventana hitting people in the backside with balloons on stage....LOL a little game they played. Fortunately, I was not one of the players of this game. LOL Once I have a chance to post it on youtube I'll provide the link.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
FEAR, the greatest life crippling disease out there.

The BEST time to go to the DR is in hurricane season. In the event you're lucky enough to be "caught" in one, pick up a case of water, a case of beer, a case of cokes, 2 bottles of rum, limes and some food.......invite whomever you've met in the DR to your flat and hang out and enjoy the weather event