The grass looks greener in the other side

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Most the Dominicans think the US is the paradise, when living in the DR of course. But when you are here and need a low profile job every thing looks different.

Check this add in craigslist:

A growing window cleaning and pressure washing company in Raleigh is looking for a part-time window cleaner. Great job for a college student.who has some flexibility with the opportunity to make some decent money.

Responsibilities
? Clean windows with traditional tools including pole work
? Work varying shifts, additional hours and/or overtime depending on service needs
? Bend, stoop, squat, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb ladders and stairs, stand, walk, and reach frequently throughout the duration of the workday
? Operate various machinery such as pressure washing equipment and lifts
? Carry and use ladders of various types and sizes
? Work safely with cleaning chemicals according to specifications
? Perform non-cleaning related functions at times (e.g. office work, flyer distribution)

Requirements
? Must be at least 18 years of age
? High school diploma or equivalent
? U.S. citizen or otherwise authorized to work in the U.S.
? Lift, lower, push, pull, leverage and manipulate equipment weighing up to 70 pounds
? Must have reliable transportation
? Must possess high attention to detail, sure-footedness, good balance and the ability to work at heights
? Previous window cleaning experience is not required
? Must pass a drug test and background check.

Compensation is $9.00/hr during the training/evaluation period, after which you will receive a percentage (commission) of each job you complete.

Why so many requirements for a miserable pay of $ 9. an hour.

JJ

Reactions: mike l

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Bend, stoop, squat, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb ladders and stairs, stand, walk, and reach frequently throughout the duration of the workday

lol I wouldnt call these responsibilities ......coz its America is the answer to your question

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Requirements
? Must be at least 18 years of age
? High school diploma or equivalent
? U.S. citizen or otherwise authorized to work in the U.S.
? Lift, lower, push, pull, leverage and manipulate equipment weighing up to 70 pounds
? Must have reliable transportation
? Must possess high attention to detail, sure-footedness, good balance and the ability to work at heights
? Previous window cleaning experience is not required
? Must pass a drug test and background check.

JJ

And how do you call theses???

JJ

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
More of a description of what's involved than resposibilities! Cleaning windows is hardly rocket science even when you have to "Work safely with cleaning chemicals according to specifications" LOL

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
And how do you call theses???

JJ

The requirements are mostly to protect the employer in case someone falls and investigations would reveal the employee is,

an illegal immigrant
drug user might try to fly down
and so on

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
thats because its likely a serious company and they know what they are looking for.

it also means the people they hire will know what they are getting into and be more likely to be the right ones.

they don't just hire any idiot who does it wrong like happens in the DR.

Reactions: mike l
Mar 2, 2008
That's equivalent to 12,960 pesos a week, based on a 40 hour work-week, and that is only the base pay during training. Apparently there is a potential to make more than that amount once a person becomes proficient at the work.

Compare that to 2000 pesos a week, based on a 6 day work-week, and probably requiring as many if not more "qualifications", and assuming there are any jobs available.

I think it is fairly obvious why many Dominicans want to go to the US to get work.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
That's equivalent to 12,960 pesos a week, based on a 40 hour work-week, and that is only the base pay during training. Apparently there is a potential to make more than that amount once a person becomes proficient at the work.

Compare that to 2000 pesos a week, based on a 6 day work-week, and probably requiring as many if not more "qualifications", and assuming there are any jobs available.

I think it is fairly obvious why many Dominicans want to go to the US to get work.

Here is $ 300. a week after taxes and other discount like social security ex.
Do you think with that money you can have a good quality of life.
No you won't because you'll need 50 % of your monthly salary just to pay the the rent of a one bedroom apartment.

JJ

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
No you won't because you'll need 50 % of your monthly salary just to pay the the rent of a one bedroom apartment.

JJ

Yes you are absolutely right about that and it's unfortunate that when Dominicans return home after maybe a year they have to show everyone how " rich" they have become and give people the false impression that without education and skills they too can come and in a couple of years can return with millions.

Am I close?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Yes you are absolutely right about that and it's unfortunate that when Dominicans return home after maybe a year they have to show everyone how " rich" they have become and give people the false impression that without education and skills they too can come and in a couple of years can return with millions.

Am I close?
I've been here for two years, and let me tell you I still don't have a clue how those people can do that.:cheeky:

JJ

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
For many is more than what they can make in the DR...with no job security.....or hopes of finding any work.........even if 50% of your salary goes to rent, at least you have a nice place to live, you can buy yourself some clothes and you are eating on a regular basis.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

JJ

Quisqueya te llama compai.

Come back when you've had enough cold and miserable behavior. There's plenty of ways to make money here in the DR. All you have to do is live resonably and leave the JW back in the states. Besides, rum is better anyway. :)

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Ok. guys keep posting, I'll be back in a little bit. I'm going to DMV to see what kind of diploma do I need to start driving a taxi here, I need to find something to do as I got fired last week.

JJ

May 29, 2006
$9/hour for training, but what is the commission? Even with a 10% commission, I bet they can clear $15/hour easy. Not bad for an unskilled job. It's heights that really thin out the crowd on jobs like that.

Compared to working a sugar cane field for $4 a day, that is paradise.

If you want bad work for pay in the US, check out a chicken processing plant. It's usually minimum wage and you do the same cut on a chicken over and over again. They have people working full-time just to sharpen the knives as they get dull.

Another grossly underpaid job is pilots for small airlines. 16K a year to fly a small plane sometimes in severe weather. Really?

Low Pay One of Many Difficulties Facing Regional Pilots - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Hopes and Dreams etc...

Am I close?

I agree that most Dominicans I've spoken to assume this is a land of hopes and dreams..I've been bursting the bubble of my DR friend lately...he was very surprised to know how much our cost of living is in Canada and how much income tax we pay, EI premiums etc etc.... As someone whose grown up between US and Canada, there are more advantages to a new immigrant coming to Canada vs US. Billingualism is a real asset here if they can speak French, they have an advantage over many Canadians. Canada offers a lot of programs for new immigrants such as free English and French language classes and job search courses...partnered with our social programs and free health care, even a person doing a menial minimum wage job can get a leg up in life if they are conscientious. I wish I could get free French language instruction.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Ok. guys keep posting, I'll be back in a little bit. I'm going to DMV to see what kind of diploma do I need to start driving a taxi here, I need to find something to do as I got fired last week.

JJ

make sure your kids go through college in the USA and life will be much easier for them!

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
having spoken many times about living conditions with my fellow haitian workers,
i know that 4 single men share an apartment of $750
they clear about $250 per week
they shop at Goodwill & Salvation army stores for thier clothes
they rarely buy junk food...
this help them to save money very easily..
we have workers who work 9-10 months per year then go back to thier country with the money they saved and visit thier families for 2-3 months and live like a king...the families see this and assume our roads are paved with gold and lined with money trees..
not just haitians either...pakistani, bangladesh,j amaican...ect...

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Quisqueya te llama compai.

Come back when you've had enough cold and miserable behavior. There's plenty of ways to make money here in the DR. All you have to do is live resonably and leave the JW back in the states. Besides, rum is better anyway. :)

I would be happy to do that, all I need is a minivan and I will be working the next day after my arrival, many times passed for my mind to go back but I don't want to see my wife passing for what my next door is passing right now. last night there it was a big rent truck parked in the driveway and four guys were loading the truck all night long, today a sheriff came and locked the house that is what I can read in the three signs posted on the doors and the windows. I know the house was running for closer as the girl told me that she couldn't pay the mortgage since she loose her last job.

JJ