Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haiti - 250,000 people dead is a lie!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Haiti - 250,000 people dead is a lie!

I found this comment today on the Wall Street Journal by a guy named David Ziegelheim.

"First, there is no credible report of fatalities in Haiti. If you actually read the reports, the numbers are all over the place. Except in other under developed countries competing for aid, the most exaggerated reports are the only ones reported; they created the best ratings for the media, contributions for the charities, and money for the Haitians. Reports from Haiti is that Haitians don't believe it.

There appears to be much more substantial damage to structures in Chile: bridges, roads, and even buildings. While there were a few concrete layer buildings that pancaked in Haiti, there were significant structurally should buildings that split in half, bridge that broke, roads that cracked. There is a picture of a road with several inch wide crack that appears to be 4" of asphalt on a foot or more of concrete.

The Haitian quake seems to have been pretty localized. The Chilean quake caused damage hundreds of miles away. We also don't have a real accounting for the population in the coastal towns yet in Chile. The actual fataility/missing count will probably be in the 10-20,000 range which is probably the same as Haiti."

Strength of Temblor Doesn't Dictate Damage - WSJ.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You mention an article in the Wall Street Journal then do not post the link but post some other link, which works half the time.

Give us the story you reported with a link.... else we will consider it heresay.

Hlywud

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The comment posted by the OP was quoted from a WSJ.com community, a message board, not from the WSJ, or a WSJ staff member.

Strength of Temblor Doesn't Dictate Damage - WSJ.com

SCROLL DOWN

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This was in the comments section and shot down by the next poster.

The damage wasn't that bad in Haiti anyway. All they need is a little spackle to fix some cracks in the walls:

Some people simply refuse to acknowledge reality. PaP had a population of over 3 million. 20,000 would be less than a 1% percent fatality rate. When you see devastation like this, a 10% mortality rate seems not only more likely, but conservative.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it was a reader's comment on the article by Gautam Naik. I thought there were grammatical errors which would not have got past an Editor. And David Ziegelheim doesn't use the word 'lie', so the title of this post is misleading.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, it was a commenter on the WSJ, sorry i should have been more clear. but he's not just a random comment spammer, he's a paid customer of the WSJ.

i was pretty astounded to see the comment.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    yes, it was a commenter on the WSJ, sorry i should have been more clear. but he's not just a random comment spammer, he's a paid customer of the WSJ.

i was pretty astounded to see the comment.
    Anybody that registers on this WSJ site for FREE can post their opinions, fact or fiction in response to a WSJ article. The title that you gave this thread is indeed very misleading.

The Wall Street Journal Online - WSJ.com Log In

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

oh i didn't know anyone could post for free, it must have changed.

anyways, the title of the thread is accurate, because that is exactly what the commenter wrote. The WSJ isn't a garden variety message board like 4chan or TMZ, the comments are usually pretty insightful.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    anyways, the title of the thread is accurate, because that is exactly what the commenter wrote. The WSJ isn't a garden variety message board like 4chan or TMZ, the comments are usually pretty insightful.
    If you say so.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Why was this thread started? Some person we know absolutely nothing about makes a comment that is completely contrary to what reporters we do know about have been saying and suddenly we have a thread with a title not in quotes and thus is attributable to the DR1 poster who started the thread.

Suppose Chicken Little had written "The Sky is Falling" on the WSJ message board, how many of us would have immediately started a thread on dr1 with the news?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast