Never made it out of the starting gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Just looking at the list of threads here, hummm, happened to notice the bottom 3 on the list are all about beach erosion. Half dozen posts or so, never made it out of the starting gate. Now how could that be, with the beaches being such an important part of not just the ecosystem but the attraction for tourists and locals alike and the lively hood of those that live there.
Would make you think there should be more concern.....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Maybe the same with a lot of subjects? People who have been posting here for several years have probably already shared their viewpoint and don't necessarily want to repeat themselves, nor might they have time to. Doesn't necessarily mean they don't care. There are also many residents for whom the beach isn't a top priority, although it probably will be for many tourists.

Reactions: Vacara

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Maybe the same with a lot of subjects? People who have been posting here for several years have probably already shared their viewpoint and don't necessarily want to repeat themselves, nor might they have time to. Doesn't necessarily mean they don't care. There are also many residents for whom the beach isn't a top priority, although it probably will be for many tourists.

Hunnnn ????

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Just looking at the list of threads here, hummm, happened to notice the bottom 3 on the list are all about beach erosion. Half dozen posts or so, never made it out of the starting gate. Now how could that be, with the beaches being such an important part of not just the ecosystem but the attraction for tourists and locals alike and the lively hood of those that live there.
Would make you think there should be more concern.....

Beach ersoion would not make a good movie or a story to follow but if you hit the search function and look for topics like over building in Cabarete which would decrease the winds which is what Cabarete is known for as an example.

A new beach in Sosua suddenly appeared not long ago.

But what really sells on this site is " sensantionalism " just like every where else.

Sex, violence, crime and corruption....people pay for this enternatinment!

And it's all here at no cost!

May 29, 2006
Most ex-pats get a bit jaded about beaches once they move down and end up finding some secret place they can go to on their own or prefer a pool. I bet if someone starts a thread on where to get a pool pump fixed for a good price people would prob jump all over it.

Mar 2, 2008
I don't believe expats are jaded or uncaring. However, there is a need for understanding reality, and which things one cab influence and which things one cannot.

Expats are pretty mucg excluded from Dominican politics, both by law and by cultural practice. There is very little a non-Dominican can do to bring attention to environmental issues, and it is quite possible any public support for environmental reform could bring about a negative reaction from the established political parties.

Often it is better to work behind the scenes and do what one can out of the public spotlight. Those seeking the spotlight can always start meaningless threads such as this one.

May 29, 2006
Not jaded as in uncaring, just that going to the beach isn't that big of a thrill after a few months. You get used to it, especially when it is just a five or ten minute walk from where you live.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I lived ON the water in St. Petersburg for many years. Even it got taken for granted after a few months.

Living here 24/7/365 isn't a puta-chasing, drunken beach holiday.

Reactions: JD Jones

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Sex, Violence, Crime and Coruption

Beach ersoion would not make a good movie or a story to follow but if you hit the search function and look for topics like over building in Cabarete which would decrease the winds which is what Cabarete is known for as an example.

A new beach in Sosua suddenly appeared not long ago.

But what really sells on this site is " sensantionalism " just like every where else.

Sex, violence, crime and corruption....people pay for this enternatinment!

And it's all here at no cost!

Very well put Mike......took the words right out of my mouth. I was just trying a nicer approach, but I think you both answered my question and brought to light what this forum is really all about.
If there's no place or room for argumentation, it won't fly.
The Clown bin seems to attract the most attention........humm

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
well my post was deleted for some reason - so if everyone else is getting deleted Im not suprised this thread doesnt much response lol

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Sea is Not Your Friend

I have never really understood this beach craze.
The ocean is not your friend:
salty air, humidity, costly plots, bad for digging wells.
I know a beautiful beach where the sea is nibbling away meter by meter. You used to be able to pass along the shore in a vehicle on a nice beach road, now you cannot even do so on a moped. Some of the first-line beach plot owners have already lost land to the Atlantic.
Yet on a long weekend still hoards of locals use whatever is left of that beach and now leave their trash right at the fences of the beach properties... :cheeky:

We are a few miles from the beach and should we become tired of our pool we can choose which beach to go to. :bunny:

donP

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
start a thread about the girls working pedro clisante, and the men who come here to visit them.. and you'll surely reach 5 pages within the day.

or even better...

start a thread asking about a good place to raise your children if your husband is part owner in a nightclub that "capitalizes on women" i can almost guarantee you 10 pages !!!

it seems that many here are only interested in a subject if they can use it to make themselves seem holier than thou. and they wil ljump at every opportunity to voice thier opinion on the subject.

but.. give them an important topic to discuss, and suddenly they dont care, or they are too tired of repeating themselves.

:D

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
brought to light what this forum is really all about.
If there's no place or room for argumentation, it won't fly.
The Clown bin seems to attract the most attention........humm

760,000+ posts and they are all related to "Sex, violence, crime and corruption". What message board do you read?

Last count we have 180,000+ posts that are purely Travel related, 38,000+ Legal, 13,000+ Spanish Language, 20,000+ Business and 170,000 about living here etc.

The most popular thread is about the exchange rate and the thread with the most posts is about a hotel (304 pages).

I think you need to get out of the "Clown Bin" more often :)

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
760,000+ posts and they are all related to "Sex, violence, crime and corruption". What message board do you read?

Last count we have 180,000+ posts that are purely Travel related, 38,000+ Legal, 13,000+ Spanish Language, 20,000+ Business and 170,000 about living here etc.

The most popular thread is about the exchange rate and the thread with the most posts is about a hotel (304 pages).

I think you need to get out of the "Clown Bin" more often :)

I beleive that it was MikeI one of your gold members that made that statement Robert....if you look back. I was replying to "his quote"
Thanks for taking the time for the numbers.
Well said Naptime.......I think I'll go check out the clown bin.

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
what happened to the beach fronting Casa Marina? looks like the sea was a good 10 extra meters inland from when I was there in 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.