Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make rice Dominican style?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to make rice Dominican style?

Can someone explain the process of how they make rice in the DR? Why the plastic bag? What kind of rice is most popular there, medium or long grain?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Can someone explain the process of how they make rice in the DR? Why the plastic bag? What kind of rice is most popular there, medium or long grain?
    From what i have witnessed- rice in pot with sufficient water, let cook on medium heat until you smell burnt crusted rice. They really love that burnt crusted rice, and of course you need acid to clean the pot afterwards. lol

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dominican rice

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    From what i have witnessed- rice in pot with sufficient water, let cook on medium heat until you smell burnt crusted rice. They really love that burnt crusted rice, and of course you need acid to clean the pot afterwards. lol
    you start with oil and big salt... heat it up and then add water and rice. the burnt stuff is called con con and they all fight over who gets to eat it. i think the bag is because it creates a better seal on a mishapen pot that is beaten up.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the recipes from our aunts Arroz blanco (White rice) - Dominican Cooking

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a bag used, it must be a regional thing. Con-con, if my wife does it, it very light brown and the pan is easy to clean. If my mother in law does it, the pan requires soaking and scraping.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Long grain white rice is the most popular. The bag is to trap the steam to help cook the rice and form the concon on the bottom but it cannot be burnt just brown and crunchy. Burnt rice tastes terrible and they will deem you a failure if the concon is black. I personally don't use the bag but a tight lid because I don't like the pastic to stick to my pot and I'm not sure about the chemicals in the plastic but most use it so I'm sure it can't be that bad! A tight lid will produce the same results. It is also important with Dominican style rice that you don't use too much water because if you cook the rice properly and let it sit long enough steaming, it will be fluffy and not sticky (which is how it will be if you use too much water). Also, don't use too much oil... nothing worse than oily rice!

I love AZB!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    I've never seen a bag used, it must be a regional thing. Con-con, if my wife does it, it very light brown and the pan is easy to clean. If my mother in law does it, the pan requires soaking and scraping.
    Plastic bag is relatively new, I'd say a good 20-25 years. Before that it was common to cover the rice with plantain trees leaves. The purpose of the plastic bag is to accelerate the cooking process.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a rice pot with a tight fitting lid, then you don't need anything else to hold in the steam. Before plastic became popular, people used a brown paper bag, which is a much better option IMO.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, the plastic bag with the chemical fumes releasing gives it that special touch, ok just kiddin'

the recipe from the Dominican cooking site will give you perfectly cooked rice.

I've been using a method from a Cuban recipe book that calls for the pot to be cover as soon as its starts boiling or blubbling, it works for me, this way I won't have to stand there and wait til the water evaporates.

my concon doesn't come out automatically, maybe because i don't use the Dominican heavy pot, so after I take out all the rice out of the pot I place pot on low heat and let it get crispy...y depue a rapar.....mmmmm delicious, love it.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Must be regional because I have never seen someone on the north coast not use the plastic bag trick. I get the idea they use less water than Americans do and rely on steaming to finish the cooking.

Re: the plastic bag. I worked for an Applebees in college and one thing that amazed me was how they cooked the pasta. They had the sauce pre-measured in a styrofoam cup and put it upside-down on top of the pasta in the microwave for two minutes. Most of the time the cup was half-melted. They tossed the cup and put the pasta out. Steaming rice with the plastic bag does't seem so bad..
    Last edited by PeterInBrat; 03-02-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast